Unskippable: Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory, Part 2

Tel_Windzan

Dec 18, 2008
I'm willing to bet that the story this game has could be done well and actually come out interesting. Hell, maybe you could make it something like an action adventure history of video games and maybe have the villains as some kind of personification of the problems that tend to come up with video games.

Like for instance, DRM. Originally created (arrived?) in the world to do what it felt was the right thing to protect the towns of the various CPUs but it turns out the right thing it was doing was interfering with the lives of the inhabitants. Maybe the goal of the game would be to place someone else in DRM's position to better do the job or maybe find another means of protecting each of the towns. I'm not entirely sure where to go on that but it could be an interesting story to try out in a game with this kind of setting.

But then I watched Mydnyght's video...

Mydnyght said:
Sheer volume of boob is right.
I mean, early in the game (I did say last week I have this game), we meet *another* CPU. And yes, boobs and all.
And yet ANOTHER one appears halfway into the game. And yes...
BOOBS. That is all. And you thought the Sorceress from Dragon's Crown had BOOBS.

...Actually, I'm not sure whose are bigger...
I'm really disappointed in this game and probably others that tend to do this. It's probably just me, as I generally am interested in the world the game is showing but the characters are really out of place for me, the "funny moments" are either slightly creepy or just kind of "meh" to me and being a heterosexual female, the boobs do nothing for me. I guess if the developers really wanted to go this route with their game then more power to them, I suppose. It's just sad for me that the stuff I could like in these games is only a back drop to things I dislike.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Here's what I'm most interested in,

how do these voice actresses actually feel?

I mean seriously, actually being able to deliver such lines even at this 'quality' is impressive. And it goes on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on. And that video linked inside those spoilers is even worse... I haven't watched it fully but that's at least 5 minutes of lines including "Oh no, a person came out of my bum-bum".

What I'm trying to say, I really want those voice actresses to answer this question:

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
I couldn't help but notice the driving JRPG battle music in the background while they were talking about snacks and tea.

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
I.. I requested a second part so this world and the plot could be explained to me..

And now.. I am even more confused.

Can.. Can we get a third part? If that doesn't fix this problem, I will just find a lets play.

Antitonic

Enlightened Dispenser Of Truth!
Feb 4, 2010
Oh JRPGs, you're usually a little too much J, and not enough G. Not much RP either, come to think of it.

...Never change.

Prime_Hunter_H01

Dec 20, 2011
This will annoy me until I know.

Did Noire's voice sound familiar to any one else, I swear I have heard it in another game before.

Fencedude

Sep 2, 2013
Its a travesty that you guys won't get to see the first appearance of Iris Heart.

(also the game is much better in Japanese)

(and seriously the amount of "oh my god this is so weird and I can't handle it and it has boobs and talking and oh my god Japan is pretty ridiculous. Are you that new to how Japan is?)

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Despite watching last week I still have absolutely no idea what I've just watched. Who would have though a game with a console war allegory would get so complicated, although maybe just all the talk of heaving bossoms and infinite stamina just got my head all mixed up :p

Fencedude

Sep 2, 2013
Man, its almost like watching the first 10 minutes of a 40 hour RPG that is the sequel to another 40 hour RPG might leave you a tad confused!

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
you think that's bad, an anime has actually been made with some of the biggest female voice actors in Japan. The fanservice in that show is just creepy with CPU transformations worse than Sailor Moon or even Infinite Stratos

lets put it into perspective, this is the opening

Just watching the first episode made me want to smack my head with a cast iron skillet 10 times in a row.

Fencedude

Sep 2, 2013
Izanagi009 said:
you think that's bad, an anime has actually been made with some of the biggest female voice actors in Japan. The fanservice in that show is just creepy with CPU transformations worse than Sailor Moon or even Infinite Stratos
What? You mean the same voice actresses that are in the game? With transformations approximately equivalent to what are in the games?

[lets put it into perspective, this is the opening

Just watching the first episode made me want to smack my head with a cast iron skillet 10 times in a row.
Plz. You try to freak people out with the OPENING?

How about the Endings? One featuring chibis and bouncing on giant boobs:

And the other featuring actual nakedness. (avert your eyes, this may be too much for some of you)

(also none of this is particularly unusual for anime. And the show is really good. Which I know will be a shock because OMG JAPAN IS SO WEIRD GUYS)

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Does the villain have a sidekick called Pyraci? It's comical how obvious they have made the references yet I'm still not sure if the game was meant to seriously commentate on the state of the games industry and piracy or if it's a big joke. Which is pretty clever, in a heaving breasts kind of way.

Iron_will

Feb 8, 2008
Hagi said:

I mean seriously, actually being able to deliver such lines even at this 'quality' is impressive. And it goes on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on. And that video linked inside those spoilers is even worse... I haven't watched it fully but that's at least 5 minutes of lines including "Oh no, a person came out of my bum-bum".

What I'm trying to say, I really want those voice actresses to answer this question:

The JP voice actor of Neptune likes it very much. Why else would she platinum all three games [https://twitter.com/AndyTaichou/status/319266220660621312/photo/1] in english?

Flunk said:
Oh god, I know I said I wouldn't watch this but for some reason...

I really can't believe 1. that they really made this (ok, well Japan so ok) but 2. I can't believe that anyone translated it and assumed they would really make money. But at least they hired terrible voice actresses so I imagine they didn't pay much if anything.
minimacker said:
I don't know whether to laugh or cry. Is there really a demand for that kind of game?
You people are insufferable.
There is certainly an audience for this. All the three main games on the PS3 have been localized, there is an anime on it that's currently airing that is also going to be localized, and not to mention all the future games that will come out.

Izanagi009 said:

The voice actresses are reprising their roles from the games. The anime gave me the push to actually play Victory --and soon Mk2-- and I love them both.

In any case, these two videos certainly made me sure of one thing: I'm probably never going to try out the dub. They just don't have the same feeling that the original voices possess.

CriticalMiss said:
Does the villain have a sidekick called Pyraci? It's comical how obvious they have made the references yet I'm still not sure if the game was meant to seriously commentate on the state of the games industry and piracy or if it's a big joke. Which is pretty clever, in a heaving breasts kind of way.
There's a villain called Pirachu --originally called Warechu in the JP version--. He's cute.

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
Fencedude said:
Izanagi009 said:
What? You mean the same voice actresses that are in the game? With transformations approximately equivalent to what are in the games?

[lets put it into perspective, this is the opening

Plz. You try to freak people out with the OPENING?

How about the Endings? One featuring chibis and bouncing on giant boobs:

And the other featuring actual nakedness. (avert your eyes, this may be too much for some of you)

(also none of this is particularly unusual for anime. And the show is really good. Which I know will be a shock because OMG JAPAN IS SO WEIRD GUYS)
I can assume by the avatar image that you are a fan of the show. And while yes, they were in the past game, as someone who did not know that Kana-san or Imai-san were in the original (or even played the orignal), this is surprising. The second ending is fine, watching Gundam scenes with similar content has made me used to it but the first ending made me cringe more than the saccharine opening. The issue with me is that while the concept is amazing and original, the excessive amounts of fanservice make me just close my eyes and smack my head at how much this is pandering to otakus (plus the fact that they were in the game does not make it better).

Fencedude

Sep 2, 2013
Iron_will said:
In any case, these two videos certainly made me sure of one thing: I'm probably never going to try out the dub. They just don't have the same feeling that the original voices possess.
I know right. So disappointing. English Histy can't be Pissty for Shitsy.

...goddammit.

Also Plutia is just not the same when she isn't HanaKana. She lacks the slooooooow drawl that makes her so...Plutia.

Fencedude

Sep 2, 2013
CriticalMiss said:
Its a parody.

Its explicitly a parody. How could you watch these two videos and not realize this? Hell, Neptune herself gleefully ignores the fourth wall, speaks directly to the player on occasion and just generally takes the piss out of even the most serious events.

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
Iron_will said:
Hagi said:

The JP voice actor of Neptune likes it very much. Why else would she platinum all three games [https://twitter.com/AndyTaichou/status/319266220660621312/photo/1] in english?
You are referring to Rie Tanaka right, voice actor for Lacus Clyne?

Flunk said:
Oh god, I know I said I wouldn't watch this but for some reason...

I really can't believe 1. that they really made this (ok, well Japan so ok) but 2. I can't believe that anyone translated it and assumed they would really make money. But at least they hired terrible voice actresses so I imagine they didn't pay much if anything.
minimacker said:
I don't know whether to laugh or cry. Is there really a demand for that kind of game?
You people are insufferable.
There is certainly an audience for this. All the three main games on the PS3 have been localized, there is an anime on it that's currently airing that is also going to be localized, and not to mention all the future games that will come out.
Apparently, I'm not that audience because the fanservice really makes me cringe and the concept of anthropomorphism applied to game consoles and companies is not enough to detract from that.

Izanagi009 said:

The voice actresses are reprising their roles from the games. The anime gave me the push to actually play Victory --and soon Mk2-- and I love them both.

That's fine, Imai, Tanaka, and Kana san are all really good so I would stick to the subs (still not playing the game because of the loads of "plot" in it)

CriticalMiss said:
There's a villain called Pirachu --originally called Warechu in the JP version--. He's cute.
isn't that supposed to be a reference to a pirating software on the DS?