Unskippable: Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory, Part 2

Fencedude

Sep 2, 2013
Izanagi009 said:
You are referring to Rie Tanaka right, voice actor for Lacus Clyne?
Unless you know of another Tanaka Rie who also played Neptune/Purple Heart

Apparently, I'm not that audience because the fanservice really makes me cringe and the concept of anthropomorphism applied to game consoles and companies is not enough to detract from that.
Thats fine, but all this posturing over how you would never play something with "fanservice" comes across as really forced.

That's fine, Imai, Tanaka, and Kana san are all really good so I would stick to the subs (still not playing the game because of the loads of "plot" in it)
Ok, no one ever said you had to.

isn't that supposed to be a reference to a pirating software on the DS?
More or less.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Fencedude said:
CriticalMiss said:
Does the villain have a sidekick called Pyraci? It's comical how obvious they have made the references yet I'm still not sure if the game was meant to seriously commentate on the state of the games industry and piracy or if it's a big joke. Which is pretty clever, in a heaving breasts kind of way.
Its a parody.

Its explicitly a parody. How could you watch these two videos and not realize this? Hell, Neptune herself gleefully ignores the fourth wall, speaks directly to the player on occasion and just generally takes the piss out of even the most serious events.
It seems like such an obvious parody that it might, somehow, not have been. Like a publisher thought the best way to combat piracy was to make a game where you combat piracy.

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
Fencedude said:
Izanagi009 said:
Unless you know of another Tanaka Rie who also played Neptune/Purple Heart
Okay fair enough
Apparently, I'm not that audience because the fanservice really makes me cringe and the concept of anthropomorphism applied to game consoles and companies is not enough to detract from that.
Thats fine, but all this posturing over how you would never play something with "fanservice" comes across as really forced.
Here is my view on fanservice, If it comes after an extremely tense or painful momment to provide some levity to a series, than that's fine; its a good break and it allows us to recover. If it pounds us over and over again, then it becomes distracting and awkward.
That's fine, Imai, Tanaka, and Kana san are all really good so I would stick to the subs (still not playing the game because of the loads of "plot" in it)
Ok, no one ever said you had to.
fair enough again, just stating my view on it

More or less.
thanks for the clarification

Iron_will

Feb 8, 2008
Izanagi009 said:
Iron_will said:
Hagi said:
Here's what I'm most interested in,

how do these voice actresses actually feel?

I mean seriously, actually being able to deliver such lines even at this 'quality' is impressive. And it goes on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on. And that video linked inside those spoilers is even worse... I haven't watched it fully but that's at least 5 minutes of lines including "Oh no, a person came out of my bum-bum".

What I'm trying to say, I really want those voice actresses to answer this question:

The JP voice actor of Neptune likes it very much. Why else would she platinum all three games [https://twitter.com/AndyTaichou/status/319266220660621312/photo/1] in english?
Yes.

Flunk said:
Oh god, I know I said I wouldn't watch this but for some reason...

I really can't believe 1. that they really made this (ok, well Japan so ok) but 2. I can't believe that anyone translated it and assumed they would really make money. But at least they hired terrible voice actresses so I imagine they didn't pay much if anything.
minimacker said:
I don't know whether to laugh or cry. Is there really a demand for that kind of game?
You people are insufferable.
There is certainly an audience for this. All the three main games on the PS3 have been localized, there is an anime on it that's currently airing that is also going to be localized, and not to mention all the future games that will come out.
And that's all right. I don't mind the fanservice, myself.

CriticalMiss said:
Does the villain have a sidekick called Pyraci? It's comical how obvious they have made the references yet I'm still not sure if the game was meant to seriously commentate on the state of the games industry and piracy or if it's a big joke. Which is pretty clever, in a heaving breasts kind of way.
There's a villain called Pirachu --originally called Warechu in the JP version--. He's cute.
Not sure, really. I think it's a reference to pirating in general. Warez etc

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Oh, boob volume. The most reliable metric of any anime game.

This was still awful, and still hilarious, so yay!

Lonewolfm16

Feb 27, 2012
Maksim Tsirulnik said:
This is going to be dull exposition post so feel free to skip this comment.

To start, there are currently four games in this series with two more in the works, one of which is nearing its release in Japan. Only the first three games are available in English. Those are "Hyperdimension Neptunia", "HDN MK2", and "HDN Victory" all on the PS3. The last three are on the PSVita and the only one that released so far is Japanese exclusive.

There is also an anime, currently airing with 8 episodes already out at the time this comment was made.

In Gameindustri, there are four CPUs, Console Patron Unit, who rule their respective nations (Planeptune, Lastation, Lowee, and Leanbox). They are kinda like goddesses so that also makes them ageless. Three of the Four CPU's have little sisters, the CPU candidates. The CPU's represent consoles while the CPU Candidate's represent portable systems. Each CPU, and CPU candidate, have a human form and a CPU form they can transform into. Vert has no little sister since there is no XBox portable console. The game they were playing in the last part showed their CPU forms.

Also, the game they were playing is an in-joke, as it is called "Four-Goddesses: Online".

Purple Heart (Neptune) = Sega Neptune
Purple Sister (Nepgear) = Sega Game Gear
Black Heart (Noire) = PS3
Black Sister (Uni) = PSP
White Heart (Blanc) = Wii
White Sisters (Ram and Rom) = DS
Green Heart (Vert) - XBox360

As of Victory, there are 2-3 more CPUs.

There are also 2 types of human characters. Regular humans and Makers. Makers are human characters who are typically stronger than normal people and represent certain companies. None have actually appeared yet on Unskippable so bare with me.

IF = Idea Factory (Appears in 1, MK2, and V)
Compa = Compile Heart (Appears in 1, MK2, and V)
Nisa = NISA (Appears in 1 and MK2)
Gust = Gust (Appears in 1 and MK2)
5pb = 5pb (Appears in 1 and MK2)
Red = Red Entertainment (Appears only in 1)
Cave = CAVE (Appears only in MK2)
Falcom = Nihon Falcom (Appears in MK2 and Victory)
Broccoli = Broccoli (Appears only in V)
CC2 = Cyberconnect2 (Appears only in V)
Mages = MAGES (Appears only in V)
MarvelousAQL = Marvelous AQL (Appears only in V)
Tekken = Tekken (Appears only in V)
Compile (a.k.a. 1st Gen Compa) = Compile (Appears in MK2 and Victory, not playable in either)

There is a crap load of more stuff I'm not covering, like Arfoire (R4) and Pirachu (Pirating + Pikachu) but anyone who's interested now can just go and look up this stuff themselves.
I now have to watch this anime. Honestly, this game doesn't look too bad, and it's worth it just for the ridiculousness of it all.

Fencedude

Sep 2, 2013
Worth noting that the only Maker characters who are in the anime are IF, Compa, 5pb and MAGES, due to licensing issues

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
In the voice of The Doctor: "What? WHAT? WHAT?!" Now I regret rooting for you guys to do this one, because I have no idea what just happened.
Graham_LRR said:
Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory, Part 2

Join Graham and Paul as they try to understand the reasoning behind this game.

Watch Video
There is no reason, only madness! Paul, you saw it stare into your soul, and I made the mistake of staring back, which only further drove me insane! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
And good gravy, that chick in the green dress had big heaving boobs. If she's meant to represent Microsoft's consoles, what do the boobs say about them?

Maksim Tsirulnik

Sep 2, 2013
Lonewolfm16 said:
I now have to watch this anime. Honestly, this game doesn't look too bad, and it's worth it just for the ridiculousness of it all.
Just a note.

The anime is kinda different from the games in a few ways.

For one, a lot of characters actually don't show up. The majority of the Makers, some villians, and other side characters. The only Makers that make a frequent return are Compa and IF who are the only Makers who appear in all three games. Others receive one-off roles.

The story of the anime is actually a mish-mash of all three games. The anime also throws a lot of references from the games that you most likely won't get without playing them (or watching an LP).

In a way, while accessible to newcomers, it was made mostly for the fans. Kinda makes sense considering that "David Production" is the studio working on it (who have made a name of themselves of being fairly loyal to source material) and the fact that the head of that studio admitted to being a fan of the series.

Xpwn3ntial

Avid Reader
Dec 22, 2008
Darth_Payn said:
And good gravy, that chick in the green dress had big heaving boobs. If she's meant to represent Microsoft's consoles, what do the boobs say about them?
It's a common thing in anime/JRPGs for the American girl to be blonde with big tits.

Maksim Tsirulnik

Sep 2, 2013
Darth_Payn said:
I read somewhere that Vert's big breasts are supposed to be a reference to the supposed better hardware the XBox360 had over the other consoles. In ads, Microsoft kept bringing up the statistics of how the XBox had better hardware and placed a lot pride in them. That translated here to a character who takes a lot of pride in her larger-than-others' breasts and how she is better than them because of it.

Even her somewhat revealing clothing is a reference. Both the CPU and Human forms in fact. In the first game, at least, Vert was noted to overheat very easily and wore looser clothing so that she could cool of more easily. The XBox360 was noted to have problems overheating, at least in the earlier models I think.

Kinda makes me wonder how much of the character designs were made on purpose as a reference and how much is just all coincidence.

KOMega

Aug 30, 2010
Yo what's the crocodilly-o.

Anyways, looking at the gameplay (outside of the 2D exposition scenes), it looks like something I wouldn't mind playing.

CriticalMiss said:
Fencedude said:
CriticalMiss said:
Its a parody.

Its explicitly a parody. How could you watch these two videos and not realize this? Hell, Neptune herself gleefully ignores the fourth wall, speaks directly to the player on occasion and just generally takes the piss out of even the most serious events.
It seems like such an obvious parody that it might, somehow, not have been. Like a publisher thought the best way to combat piracy was to make a game where you combat piracy.
Somehow I don't think this is a message against piracy as it is that they just needed a villian for their game where your party members represent consoles.

Hitokiri

Sep 2, 2013
Thunderous Cacophony said:
Wait... I thought they were playing a video game in the last one where they were playing as goddess-warrior-queens. Was that actually real? Are they goddesses playing video games where they are queens of Video Game Land?
Yes, they often goof around and play video games. Neptune in particular is really lazy and has to be really forced to actually work. The game they were playing was a reference to the first game in which they were actually enemies for most of the game and that's pretty much how the game started.

Fencedude

Sep 2, 2013
Hitokiri said:
Yes, they often goof around and play video games. Neptune in particular is really lazy and has to be really forced to actually work. The game they were playing was a reference to the first game in which they were actually enemies for most of the game and that's pretty much how the game started.
Additionally, the main things the countries in Gamindustri do are make consoles and videogames. Their entire society revolves around it.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
I figured it out!

It's a Japanese version of Reboot!

EDIT: I've been interested in this series for a while but I want to start at the first game... which I can't find at any retail stores I've checked... and the first one's not on the PSN.

Fencedude

Sep 2, 2013
-Dragmire- said:
I figured it out!

EDIT: I've been interested in this series for a while but I want to start at the first game... which I can't find at any retail stores I've checked... and the first one's not on the PSN.
I would suggest skipping the first game, or waiting for Re;Birth1 to come out on the Vita. The first game's battle system is...not good.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Fencedude said:
-Dragmire- said:
I figured it out!

I would suggest skipping the first game, or waiting for Re;Birth1 to come out on the Vita. The first game's battle system is...not good.
I tend to cheese my way through Compile Heart games through dlc. I have yet to play a game from them that had more than passable combat. Agarest War has an interesting multi descendant story but the combat was mostly memorization of combos though spiced up a bit with the ability to combo between characters depending on where they stand in battle. More recently, I played Mugen Souls which was... weird, far weirder than this game due to the subject matter combined with the art style but again, combat was dull with only the main character having an alternate way of dealing with enemies(I will admit the grindy catch'em all clicked with me extremely well for some reason, but it's not enough to save the combat entirely).

EDIT: Right, forgot to state my point.... Basically, I play Compile Heart Games for weird and mostly lighthearted stories more than gameplay.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Mydnyght said:
Sheer volume of boob is right.
I mean, early in the game (I did say last week I have this game), we meet *another* CPU. And yes, boobs and all.
And yet ANOTHER one appears halfway into the game. And yes...
BOOBS. That is all. And you thought the Sorceress from Dragon's Crown had BOOBS.

...Actually, I'm not sure whose are bigger...

Oh, and "humans inside your console?" That somehow reminded me of Little Computer People...
So if Green = Xbox, White = Wii, Purple = Sega Neptune, and Black = PS3; what does Yellow equal?

Fencedude

Sep 2, 2013
canadamus_prime said:
So if Green = Xbox, White = Wii, Purple = Sega Neptune, and Black = PS3; what does Yellow equal?
Purple Heart: Sega Consoles
Purple Sister: Sega Portables
Iris Heart: Sega Consoles(Alternate Dimension)

White Heart: Nintendo Consoles
White Sisters: Nintendo Portables

Black Heart: Sony Consoles
Black Sister: Sony Portables

Green Heart: Microsoft Consoles

Yellow Heart: PC Engine/Turbografix 16