Update 20 Minutes of Fallout 4 Gameplay Footage Leaked

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
fluxy100 said:
That's the "Great Perk Tree" that they're scrapping skills for? Like 3/4ths of that was just ability X does 20% more damage, boring.

Also why are the super mutants just green humans now?
Maybe they're not actually supermutants; they're just hulk cosplayers, and the player's really insensitive?

Seriously though, the supermutant hounds are what really weirded me out.

fluxy100

May 22, 2010
Starke said:
fluxy100 said:
That's the "Great Perk Tree" that they're scrapping skills for? Like 3/4ths of that was just ability X does 20% more damage, boring.

Maybe they're not actually supermutants; they're just hulk cosplayers, and the player's really insensitive?

I'm kinda confused what the supermutant hounds are, did Bethesda just forget about Centaurs? Or are the Boston supermutants tired of being picked on at the annual Supermutant conventions so they dunked dogs in FEV to see what would happen?

Major_Tom

Anticitizen
Jun 29, 2008
Amaror said:
I am not going to spell doom and gloom about a tiny bit of combat footage but what stood out to me was that the laser pistol sounds were just horrible, they sounded like a balistic weapon, which a laser gun should never do.
Yeah, it sounds like a low-powered revolver. Also, what's the deal with itty-bitty super mutants?

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
fluxy100 said:
Starke said:
fluxy100 said:

I'm kinda confused what the supermutant hounds are, did Bethesda just forget about Centaurs? Or are the Boston supermutants tired of being picked on at the annual Supermutant conventions so they dunked dogs in FEV to see what would happen?
They look like dogs in the footage. At first I thought they were fighting raiders because of the dogs. I really don't have an explanation beyond that. Also, I'd think FEV modified dogs would be huge... these? Not so much.

I mean, I'm not about to hold it against the game too much before seeing it. But, I don't know.

On the thing with the perk tree? Yeah, it is boring, but at the same time I kinda get what's going on there. Instead of having a very granulated +5% to a skill here, +4% to one there. They've moved those skills to perks, so you buy it and instantly feel a difference. Seeing as those are now basically your skills? I'm kinda ambivalent. It might be better for newbies who have a hard time grasping what the skill system does. But, at the same time, I'm not thrilled with the practice of whittling off skills or attributes in Bethesda games later. However, losing skills in favor of keeping attributes is something I'm slightly more forgiving of. Probably thanks to years of D&D.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
There's a bit of an issue synching their lips with the words they're saying, but other than that this is very hopeful.

I've got to say though, does anyone else hate situations where some companion keeps telling you to do the same thing over and over again while you're exploring? "Open the door, open the door, open the door". It's complete immersion breakage.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Major_Tom said:
Amaror said:
I am not going to spell doom and gloom about a tiny bit of combat footage but what stood out to me was that the laser pistol sounds were just horrible, they sounded like a balistic weapon, which a laser gun should never do.
Yeah, it sounds like a low-powered revolver. Also, what's the deal with itty-bitty super mutants?
It might not be relevant, but according to the HUD, it's actually a unique weapon called Righteous Authority, which might explain why it sounds the way it does... or the Laser Rifles could have a horrible audio set across the board now. That's still a possibility.

Makabriel

May 13, 2013
Amaror said:
Yes, because the sound of a rubberband snapping sounds so much cooler.

Or silent, because light travelling makes no sound at all.

Rornicus

Jan 26, 2010
ShakerSilver said:
I already have a suspicion that the dog is immortal due to it having a whole perk dedicated to the thing and the fact that the worst that happened to the dog in that combat was that it just whimpered and backed away - also casually walking while burning alive.
Bethesda already confirmed Dogmeat was immortal. Something about "if players had the dog die, they would just reload anyway."

I'm sure mods will come out to remove that "feature" for people who actually like roleplaying games though.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Is there any reason that graphics are being such a good concern? I thought we agreed a long time ago graphics were low on the list of priorities if the gameplay was good. Complaints about the audio or the interface being bad? Fair enough, but a lot of people aren't even focusing on that.

Coreless

Aug 19, 2011
erttheking said:
Is there any reason that graphics are being such a good concern? I thought we agreed a long time ago graphics were low on the list of priorities if the gameplay was good.
Who is this "we" you are referring to? :p I wouldn't put graphics in the higher spectrum of things I care about (shoot, I just got done playing Pillars of Eternity and loved it) but it definitely looks pretty rough even for Bethesda. Sure everyone loves to declare they above it all and really don't care about such things but if my first impression is visual then those things I am going to notice. I guess it doesn't help that as a long time PC player I tend to spot these things after spending hours and hours trying to fiddle with settings to get things right. Gameplay should always be the priority but really nobody likes having that elephant in the room, for me graphics tend to fall into that role.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Coreless said:
erttheking said:
Is there any reason that graphics are being such a good concern? I thought we agreed a long time ago graphics were low on the list of priorities if the gameplay was good.
Who is this "we" you are referring to? :p I wouldn't put graphics in the higher spectrum of things I care about (shoot, I just got done playing Pillars of Eternity and loved it) but it definitely looks pretty rough even for Bethesda. Sure everyone loves to declare they above it all and really don't care about such things but if my first impression is visual then those things I am going to notice. I guess it doesn't help that as a long time PC player I need to take a more active role with my software and hardware if I want my games to run at their best. Gameplay should always be the priority but really nobody likes having that elephant in the room, for me graphics tend to fall into that role.
Well it's a bootstrapped leaked footage. Using that as a measurement for the final product isn't a very accurate approach.

Well yeah, I suppose everyone wants good graphics, but really does it have that much of an impact? Really we should be focusing on design and not graphics, because in that case provided the graphics aren't so god awful they don't work properly, shouldn't things even out?

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
Starke said:
Karadalis said:
What i find more disturbing are the comments and people pissing and moaning about how the games graphics look shite.

Are you effing kidding me? Im glad that i will be able to run this game on my oldish rig without it having a meltdown due to over the top unnecesary graphics. Dang graphic whores... ill rather have a good game then another 4 hour game that looks sparkly.
Even funnier when you realize, they're bitching about the 320 upload on Youtube looking like shit. Not the game's actual graphics.
Are you kidding me?

Thats a new low even for youtube comments... i mean these people have to realise that the resolution is on youtubes side right?

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Karadalis said:
Starke said:
Karadalis said:
What i find more disturbing are the comments and people pissing and moaning about how the games graphics look shite.

Are you effing kidding me? Im glad that i will be able to run this game on my oldish rig without it having a meltdown due to over the top unnecesary graphics. Dang graphic whores... ill rather have a good game then another 4 hour game that looks sparkly.
Even funnier when you realize, they're bitching about the 320 upload on Youtube looking like shit. Not the game's actual graphics.
Are you kidding me?

Thats a new low even for youtube comments... i mean these people have to realise that the resolution is on youtubes side right?
I thought it was hilarious... then I remembered I'm sharing a planet with those idiots. Which kinda killed my amusement.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Starke said:
It beats the comments saying that SJWs have taken over gaming because the player character was black.

It's amazing how racists can dress up their hatreds to trick themselves into thinking they're defending something.

Coreless

Aug 19, 2011
erttheking said:
Well it's a bootstrapped leaked footage. Using that as a measurement for the final product isn't a very accurate approach.

Well yeah, I suppose everyone wants good graphics, but really does it have that much of an impact? Really we should be focusing on design and not graphics, because in that case provided the graphics aren't so god awful they don't work properly, shouldn't things even out?
What does "bootstrapped leaked footage" mean? I'm not sure I am following you on that. The person is playing the release game they even showed the cover along with the disc to prove it. This isn't even the first leak, there multiple screenshots and higher quality raw footage coming from different places.

The thing with design is that its completely subjective, your idea of what makes for a great looking scene or style will always differ from others. The thing with raw graphics is that its much easier to compare against other games since most modern day games all use things like SSAO, hard/soft shadows, dynamic lighting, bloom, light rays, texture quality etc etc. It leaves more room to debate then say trying to debate if Ezio's leather outfit is as stylish as Dante's Devil May Cry outfit.

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
That UI looks... bad. It looks like the kind of thing a modder would put in, aside from the perk list, which just looks like a mess.

And man, I'm really not gonna get used to having a voiced protagonist, it really bothers me in an RPG when you have a voiced protagonist and they talk without your control. It really defeats the point of role-playing. Though I'd say Bethesda have been slowly trying to phase out role-playing from their games anyway.

Also as mentioned someone else, the laser gun does not sound like a laser gun, and that's just disappointing.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Coreless said:
erttheking said:

What does "bootstrapped leaked footage" mean? I'm not sure I am following you on that. The person is playing the release game they even showed the cover along with the disc to prove it. This isn't even the first leak, there multiple screenshots and higher quality raw footage coming from different places.

The thing with design is that its completely subjective, your idea of what makes for a great looking scene or style will always differ from others. The thing with raw graphics is that its much easier to compare against other games since most modern day games all use things like SSAO, hard/soft shadows, dynamic lighting, bloom, light rays, texture quality etc etc. It leaves more room to debate then say trying to debate if Ezio's leather outfit is as stylish as Dante's Devil May Cry outfit.
...Well I'm gonna shut my mouth then. (Though apparently the upload was bad, a 360p one. That's why it looks bad)

Well yeah, but that's still the stronger point because while graphics can be objectively judged, a hi-res design that's bad will still look like ass, whereas a low res design can still look good. Is it subjective? Yes. But then again most things about games are.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
I can't tell if I have so many nitpicks because I legitimately don't think the game is going to be good, or because I'm trying not to rush out and buy it for full price.

There's a lot of little stuff I don't like about it, and it really doesn't feel like much of a Fallout game. Plus the menu GUIs look a bit messier than usual.