Update 20 Minutes of Fallout 4 Gameplay Footage Leaked

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
That was quite frustrating to watch. Just answer the damn door already and spin the fucking rockets! Dear lord, man.

I stopped watching after he started fighting the mutants, I want as little spoilers as possible when it comes to quest, characters, perks, weapons, and pretty much everything else. Quality was god-awful too.

Makabriel

May 13, 2013
Elfgore said:
That was quite frustrating to watch. Just answer the damn door already and spin the fucking rockets! Dear lord, man.
Hah! Yeah, that was me as well.

"Spin the mobile. No.. don't walk away, spin the... no JUST SPIN THE FRIGGIN MOBILE DAMMIT!!"

Makabriel

May 13, 2013
Coreless said:
What does "bootstrapped leaked footage" mean? I'm not sure I am following you on that. The person is playing the release game they even showed the cover along with the disc to pro
Basically they are running a modded Xbone in order to bypass the release date restrictions. This may mean the game is "different" because some hardware or software may have had to be compromised or turned off in order to play the game.

Glaice

Mar 18, 2013
I'm not impressed overall on what I have seen so far..just feels more of the same to me with mostly the same engine (AGAIN!) but modified.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
erttheking said:
Is there any reason that graphics are being such a good concern? I thought we agreed a long time ago graphics were low on the list of priorities if the gameplay was good. Complaints about the audio or the interface being bad? Fair enough, but a lot of people aren't even focusing on that.
PC people. To them graphics come first

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
Karadalis said:
the immortal dog on fire slowly crawling towards the player was a bit disturbing
He is The Dog On Fire.

Super Mutant said:
Such a lust for Revenge! WHOOOOOO!!!??"
(I'm not sorry)

My god the animations though. Everyone moves like puppets with their strings cut at best...

On the other hand, The elocution of the Mutants in this kind of suggest that they are around the intelligence of Gen 1 Mutants from The Master's army. Yay for actually smart mutant enemies!

Davroth

The shadow remains cast!
Apr 27, 2011
Yeah, you know what looks like shit? The animations. This the final version? That was my first thought. The dude at the door barely moves his face, the dog's animations are all over the place and stutter in sections.. And that can't be fixed by modding, since they don't have access to that part of the engine. So we are stuck with those. Glad we have bloom and chrome surfaces though.

Now that I don't really care about, and at least they got a really good aesthetic style for everything, so that's nice. But I'm no fan of simplifying the skill system like that. I wasn't going to buy it at launch anyway, now I wonder if it's even going to be good at all..

medv4380

The Crazy One
Feb 26, 2010
erttheking said:
Is there any reason that graphics are being such a good concern? I thought we agreed a long time ago graphics were low on the list of priorities if the gameplay was good. Complaints about the audio or the interface being bad? Fair enough, but a lot of people aren't even focusing on that.
Agreed? With Who?

Personally I don't even consider gameplay to be that high on the priority list. Number one priority is does it work. If this ends up like Skyrim for the PS3, or Arkham Knight for the PC I'll be mad. Which is why I'm waiting. Which is why I'll wait just a bit to see if there is any obvious this game clearly never worked issues on any of the possible systems before I buy.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
josemlopes said:
I would get some people being very into it while others dismissing but the overall praise and amazement for something so basic is astounding.

This wouldnt even be impressive in 2010, how the fuck is it now?

I mean, dialog wheels?
It's kind of fascinating, isn't it?

Worse still are the fans. I know people tend to unnecessarily paint many popular fandoms as annoying pricks, but Fallout fans have become insufferable over the past two months. I've been called a "COD ******", a "filthy casual", and someone of just generally shitty taste, simply because I dared to imply that I wasn't pants-wettingly excited for Fallout 4. I've even seen discussions and comments sections completely unrelated to Fallout flooded with the fans ranting, raving, or complaining about one thing or another related to Fallout 4. Hell, when id released their Doom Multiplayer beta video, comments sections attached to the video were filled with Fallout fans spamming complaints of, "This isn't Fallout! Where's our Fallout vidoes Bethesda?!"

I mean...come the fuck on. Really?

vallorn

Nov 18, 2009
medv4380 said:
erttheking said:
Agreed? With Who?

Personally I don't even consider gameplay to be that high on the priority list. Number one priority is does it work. If this ends up like Skyrim for the PS3, or Arkham Knight for the PC I'll be mad. Which is why I'm waiting. Which is why I'll wait just a bit to see if there is any obvious this game clearly never worked issues on any of the possible systems before I buy.
Hell, I love New Vegas but even with community patches on the PC it's still game breathtakingly buggy, this game not being from Obsidian could help a little but I don't think it will that much, I am just waiting for the inevitable "Dogmeat phases through the floor" bug or "Game end boss moonwalks through an unopenable door!" bugs to laugh at and then buy the release copy of the game when it comes out a year from now.

To explain that last sentence, I've generally found that nowadays, games are released as Beta builds and then get a full release 1 year down the line, and I know that isn't technically true but it's the safest mindset to take nowadays with regards to games.

Ticklefist

Jul 19, 2010
Since when did gamers need audible confirmation that they couldn't pick locks?

This industry wide stupid-proofing is a trend I'll be happy to see come to an end.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Vigormortis said:
josemlopes said:
I would get some people being very into it while others dismissing but the overall praise and amazement for something so basic is astounding.

This wouldnt even be impressive in 2010, how the fuck is it now?

I mean, dialog wheels?

Worse still are the fans. I know people tend to unnecessarily paint many popular fandoms as annoying pricks, but Fallout fans have become insufferable over the past two months. I've been called a "COD ******", a "filthy casual", and someone of just generally shitty taste, simply because I dared to imply that I wasn't pants-wettingly excited for Fallout 4. I've even seen discussions and comments sections completely unrelated to Fallout flooded with the fans ranting, raving, or complaining about one thing or another related to Fallout 4. Hell, when id released their Doom Multiplayer beta video, comments sections attached to the video were filled with Fallout fans spamming complaints of, "This isn't Fallout! Where's our Fallout vidoes Bethesda?!"

I don't do any of that and I'm extremely hyped... :(

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
RaikuFA said:
erttheking said:
PC people. To them graphics come first
I primarily game on PC and graphics don't come first for me. I prefer storytelling and gameplay over graphics.

userwhoquitthesite

Jul 23, 2009
Wow. I decide to give this site a chance again and come back to this:
An article talking about spoilers, when nothing that hasn't already been seen or heard already is here in the video.
a comment thread full of people bitching and moaning about how terrible the game look or trying to sound cool by saying how much they hate bethesda... in the same damn sentence that they say they've already preordered the game and will pick it up at launch.

The game looks fine. The audio is fine. You're going to play it anyway.

Grow up

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
erttheking said:
Starke said:
It beats the comments saying that SJWs have taken over gaming because the player character was black.

It's amazing how racists can dress up their hatreds to trick themselves into thinking they're defending something.
Ah fuck. I honestly missed those. *Staggers off to vomit.*

vallorn

Nov 18, 2009
userwhoquitthesite said:
Wow. I decide to give this site a chance again and come back to this:
An article talking about spoilers, when nothing that hasn't already been seen or heard already is here in the video.
a comment thread full of people bitching and moaning about how terrible the game look or trying to sound cool by saying how much they hate bethesda... in the same damn sentence that they say they've already preordered the game and will pick it up at launch.

The game looks fine. The audio is fine. You're going to play it anyway.

Grow up
Spoilers are said for the benefit of those few who want a "pure" experience with nothing spoiled beforehand.

"Bitching and moaning" This is the equivalent of the media's "Entitled gamers" brush off when there are actual issues to be poked at. I don't hate Bethesda but their games need a lot of polish and community patches / mods to become properly good (SkyUI on the PC for example is required because the default PC UI on Skyrim is horeshit)

I haven't preordered it, I don't preorder anything anymore, I won't buy it on launch, the game looks really subpar especially in the character animations, the sound... That's a personal prefrence, I prefer the "pew" laser sounds from NV to the "Bang!" ones from this one.

If I play this game then it will be a the GOTY edition with the DLC built in, and it will be because mods have come out that have fixed it to be playable for reasonable people.

Dr. McD said:
Karadalis said:
What i find more disturbing are the comments and people pissing and moaning about how the games graphics look shite.

Are you effing kidding me? Im glad that i will be able to run this game on my oldish rig without it having a meltdown due to over the top unnecesary graphics. Dang graphic whores... ill rather have a good game then another 4 hour game that looks sparkly.
They do look shite. Especially for all the resources they take (if you had problems with Fallout 3 that's because of Bethesda's piss poor programming). I've seen the "inside" of Fallout 3 so to speak. It's not pretty (I don't mean in terms of graphics, but it's shit there too).

Besides, we've seen this the last three times, the story will be full of plot holes and railroading and the gameplay be on par with watching rocks while waiting for them to mate.

It's the animations that are the deal killer though, they move like fucking puppets. And dear god that UI is shit. It's a massive improvement over Skyrim just by not having the fucking "top" of the column at the middle of the screen but it's still fucking mess. And those "super mutants" look far too much like fucking orcs.
What you describe reminds me of Minecraft's code, I poked around in there once and good god it is a mess. I think it is because Notch built it the way he did but for a time there it was a hellish spaghetti code mess.

The animations are horrible but that's nothing new for Bethesda games, I do look forward to seeing what happens when said animations break and the characters start moonwalking to the center of the earth or their limbs contort in ways not seen since people first discovered the Gmod NPCs and ragdolls.

The UI is awful but I'm pretty sure that was inevitable, the whole thing just looks like they built it so that it can show off all the pretty perk animations rather than being practical for ingame use.
erttheking said:
Optimization mainly, and the gameplay is already shit anyway. But for the "power" all they take up on the computer the graphics are really shit (Fallout 3 was also a resource hog for all it's reused assets, extremely shitty assets no less).

Most notable example is that here the super mutants don't look like mutants, they look more post=apocalyptic orcs. Contrast this picture of Marcus in Fallout 2...
http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/fallout/images/c/c0/Marcus.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20050301210424
See those lumps on his face? There's a complete absence of anything like that on the "modern" mutants, and they kind of look more like clay models. That skin, it's too "perfect" for something that was mutated or even lived in a post-apocalyptic world for more than five minutes, even bad graphics can't excuse that. I'd say the leak look a finished product, but then neither did the release versions of Fallout 3 and Skyrim so I'm not exactly going to be surprised if this is the finished product.
When I first saw them I had the same thought, they are just too smooth, maybe the settings on the copy of the game were weird or something but they were smooth and shiny, I thought they were bipedal slime men for a moment when I first saw them because of the weirdly smooth sheen they all have. Those "mutant hounds" are even worse for this though.
vallorn said:
Karadalis said:
the immortal dog on fire slowly crawling towards the player was a bit disturbing
He is The Dog On Fire.

Super Mutant said:
Such a lust for Revenge! WHOOOOOO!!!??"
(I'm not sorry)

My god the animations though. Everyone moves like puppets with their strings cut at best...

On the other hand, The elocution of the Mutants in this kind of suggest that they are around the intelligence of Gen 1 Mutants from The Master's army. Yay for actually smart mutant enemies!
They won't be smart, the humans for the last three Bethesda brand eternal steam greenlight alphas weren't smart.
Part of me wants to rebut this... But I really, really can't. Bethesda AI is absurd at best and easily glitched at worst.
Glaice said:
I'm not impressed overall on what I have seen so far..just feels more of the same to me with mostly the same engine (AGAIN!) but modified.
It's doesn't even look modified, it looks more like straight up Fallout 3 with texture mods and that retarded green haze removed. The aesthetic is decent but massively overrated, but since it's Bethesda you're going to be spending more time figuring out the fucking inventory screen then playing the game anyway.
There are some new effects, the chrome for example, apart from that, it's built off of Skyrim's engine which is built of the Oblivion, Fallout3, New Vegas engine and it shows heavily.

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
Dr. McD said:
Vigormortis said:
josemlopes said:
This wouldn't even be impressive in 2010, how the fuck is it now?
I mean, dialog wheels?

Oh you have no idea. Every fucking time I nominate a Bethesda game in a worst games thread and simplify the sheer number of problems to just the most notable ones, and then cut out a lot of the text explaining just how bad the problem is and then still have a wall of text, some holier than thou Bethesda apologist demands I change my "opinion". The only reason I keep complaining about Bethesda games is they keep giving me more things to complain about (just using the inventory and levelling screen are tedious for one thing, but I won't get into that again since that alone would make a wall of text, suffice to say the fact Skyrim doesn't quite read my inputs properly and thinks clicking on a perk in the currently selected tree means I want to go over to the next fucking tree is surprisingly low on my list of problems).
I remember in a similar thread (either about bad games or about Skyrim itself) I've said that if the game is only good with mods then it is a bad game and, obviously, I got replies in the form of "No, shut up though".

I still think that at this point, Bethesda should just release something like a D&D rulebook for PC games: world map, RPG system, some dumb "main quest line", make it worth 15 USD tops and let moders make the game.

OT: This video doesn't make me change my plans: if this game is not about saving your waifu/hasubando and babeh I'll probably pick up bug free GOTY edition somewhen in the future.

Also, am I the only one who thinks that the voice of the Vault Tec representative in the beginning sounds familiar and Bethesda spent all their money on hiring famous VA instead of actually making a game?