Update: Call of Duty: Ghosts Has 50 GB Install

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
hazabaza1 said:
Fucking christ, excuse me?
That's coming up to MMO size. Hell, that's bigger than older MMOs, what the fuck's using all that space?
Dog. More and more dogs! And TV support! For ALL the TV's!

hooglese

Feb 14, 2011
50GB?! WHO THE FUCK HAS THAT KIND OF DOWNLOAD TIME?
in all seriousness, where are they allocating that memory? Average graphics? Pre-rendered cinematics longer than all lord of the rings? An absolute ton of on disk dlc?

I bet its the dlc

crono738

Sep 4, 2008
So apparently these specs are complete bullshit, according to activision.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/call-of-duty-ghosts-pc-specs-from-nvidia-not-official/1100-6415481/

xDarc

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2009
Nvidia is just trying to sell hardware in a tough PC market. Thanks Crono for posting the link above.

Danny Ocean

Master Archivist
Jun 28, 2008
For reference, Battlefield 3 is around 35GB.
I mean this really isn't a huge deal. A terabyte only costs like £60 now. Possibly less.

EDIT:

Yeah, see, look: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Western-Digital-internal-Hard-Drive/dp/B0088PUEPK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1381430551&sr=8-1&keywords=1tb+hard+drive

And one that's not on offer: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Western-Digital-Green-Desktop-Drive/dp/B006GDVREI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1381430551&sr=8-3&keywords=1tb+hard+drive

Simmer down you lot.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Wait I just re-read this.

50GB is 10% of normal peoples hard drive space on steam?

Most of steam has only ONE 500GB drive?

Are you kidding me? Jesus people those things are a rip off you should at least be buying 2TB Barracuda HDD's for your mass storage they only cost like £60.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Strazdas said:
Sectan said:
Strazdas said:
FFP2 said:
Strazdas said:
At 30 KB/s it would be more like 20.2 days :p
And yeah without images with 30kb/s it should take a few seconds only so that works.
That's assuming that the stupid internet connection is stable...
which is required by law as per service contract.
Internet connections are required to be stable? Fuck, I really need to tell my provider to get their shit together. Up here in Minnesota Frontier Net is the only show in town so their speeds really suffer during high traffic times. You'd be surprised how often our internet just completely dies and we're just left with LAN for the day.
In my contract there is a line about internet being workable and have at least 99% uptime. them not providing such is a breach of contract and is punishable by law.

FFP2 said:
Strazdas said:
which is required by law as per service contract.
But that would mean that my government is competent :)
Right, i forgot its america were talking about.
Here in the UK our internet may be rather slow but it's reliable. The last outage I had was because of my route melting.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
I haven't purchased a physical game disc since Yuri's revenge, so I wonder what the retail, disc version of this game would look like. I mean what the box would look like, on a shelf. They wouldn't do a Blu-ray retail version I imagine, simply because not a whole lot of people have Blu-ray drives in their PCs. So, assuming they release a physical, DVD version of this game, how many DVDs would be required? Five or six with compression?

Maybe it would be the size of a regular PC game box, but just super heavy. People would think it was a collector's edition or something.

And imagine being so sick of the chore after downloading it off of Steam that you try to back it up locally. Just imagine:

[STEAM]: "Please insert disc 1 of 20."

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
When they say "unfortunately, they're not", do they mean to say that the requirements are even more demanding? Because I don't see how that's possible. The game doesn't look demanding at all.

SkarKrow said:
Are you kidding me? Jesus people those things are a rip off you should at least be buying 2TB Barracuda HDD's for your mass storage they only cost like £60.
Most people don't upgrade their HDD's in years. They tend to wait until the HDD dies. Which is a terrible thought. I'd go insane if I were to lose all my data. They upgrade everything else and use the HDD from the old build to save money or to have more for a better GPU or CPU or more RAM. Which is not a bad thing, but they keep doing the same thing every time they upgrade.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
That means I could only have 100 copies installed at once? ~140 if we count the external I almost never use. I'd feel betrayed if I liked CoD.

Actually, no I wouldn't, because HDDs are cheaper than people pay for a single meal in a restaurant. Hell, for the money some people spend on a weekend of partying, I could build an entire computer.

Coreless

Aug 19, 2011
50 gigs? Wow, I think its safe to assume it will probably all be textures and meshes which leads me to think they aren't reusing assets like they used to. Just look at a game like Skyrim, 7 gigs total without high definition textures and the game is pretty huge but the key to its small disc size is that they reuse assets pretty much everywhere.

Lictor Face

Nov 14, 2011
Call of Duty Black Ops 50 Ghost 3047 Unlimited World War 8 Revolution.

Minimum System Requirements:

OS: Fully functional artificial intelligence. Glados variant or better
CPU: Intel Core 25 Quad giga ultimatrix E8200 2.66 GHZ RAM: 50 GB RAM and certified "super-computer" status registry.
HDD: 20 Terabytes HD space ( 50 Terabytes for map dlc )
Video: NVIDIA "Big Bang" world synthesizer ( Note, requires exploding stars )
Sound: Personal choir/band.
DirectX: 50K
Internet: Dimensional port required for intergalactic multiplayer. Trans-dimensional interactions not rated by ESRB. We are not responsible for you being called a "******" via twenty different languages/telekinesis/pheremones.

This is the future people. THE FUTURE.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
FizzyIzze said:
I haven't purchased a physical game disc since Yuri's revenge, so I wonder what the retail, disc version of this game would look like. I mean what the box would look like, on a shelf. They wouldn't do a Blu-ray retail version I imagine, simply because not a whole lot of people have Blu-ray drives in their PCs. So, assuming they release a physical, DVD version of this game, how many DVDs would be required? Five or six with compression?

Maybe it would be the size of a regular PC game box, but just super heavy. People would think it was a collector's edition or something.

And imagine being so sick of the chore after downloading it off of Steam that you try to back it up locally. Just imagine:

My guess is, assuming it gets a basic release on DVDs, and not just some primo collector's edition, it'll use one of those oversized DVD cases they used for PC games around 2005. They were kind of a transition between the downsized cardboard boxes and the regular DVD cases games come in today. Same form factor, but made of heavy plastic instead of thin cardboard. Or to put it another way, a DVD case roughly three normal cases thick, with a spindle in the middle with room for 5-ish discs. Like the things a lot of TV seasons come in, but with a spindle instead of folding trays.

Anyway, the most ridiculous example I've seen or owned is the complete Battlefield 1942 collection. It's Battlefield 1942, all the expansions, plus the Battlefield Vietnam spinoff. The collection was released in 2004 or 2005, so it really should have come on one or two DVDs, but it didn't. It came on eight CD-ROMs, just a re-pressing of the old World War II collection and the final version of Vietnam with new labels. Two of the discs don't even fit on the spindle, they fall out as soon as you open the case, and knock loose inside of it if you're not careful when moving it around. It's insane, and it takes about ten times longer to install than it should because of the limits of even a 52X CD drive.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Why the hell is it so big? Have companies just stopped optimizing their games or something?

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
SkarKrow said:
Wait I just re-read this.

50GB is 10% of normal peoples hard drive space on steam?

Most of steam has only ONE 500GB drive?

Yeah, I wouldn't call that a great quality HDD. Sometimes it's better to get storage devices with better data transfer rates by sacrificing storage space,this is a particular problem people who just brought SSDs.

bells

Jul 10, 2009
It's audio.

People don't know just how much audio can bloat a game. Multiple languages, multiple high quality audio files... a simple 13 track CD can jump to nearly a 1GB if you use the best possible audio codecs and quality... imagine multiple tracks that compose a 5-6 hour experience in multiple laguages...

Between Music, Cutscenes, vocals, Sound effects... in multiple languages... this could easily reap half of that size.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Owyn_Merrilin said:
FizzyIzze said:

My guess is, assuming it gets a basic release on DVDs, and not just some primo collector's edition, it'll use one of those oversized DVD cases they used for PC games around 2005. They were kind of a transition between the downsized cardboard boxes and the regular DVD cases games come in today. Same form factor, but made of heavy plastic instead of thin cardboard. Or to put it another way, a DVD case roughly three normal cases thick, with a spindle in the middle with room for 5-ish discs. Like the things a lot of TV seasons come in, but with a spindle instead of folding trays.

Anyway, the most ridiculous example I've seen or owned is the complete Battlefield 1942 collection. It's Battlefield 1942, all the expansions, plus the Battlefield Vietnam spinoff. The collection was released in 2004 or 2005, so it really should have come on one or two DVDs, but it didn't. It came on eight CD-ROMs, just a re-pressing of the old World War II collection and the final version of Vietnam with new labels. Two of the discs don't even fit on the spindle, they fall out as soon as you open the case, and knock loose inside of it if you're not careful when moving it around. It's insane, and it takes about ten times longer to install than it should because of the limits of even a 52X CD drive.
Ah, of course, you're right! In addition to not having bought a PC disc in a long time, I haven't bought DVD movies in years either. It would be just like a box set, which would be pretty compact. Looking at my Alien Blu-ray collector's edition, that houses six Blu-ray discs in a pretty cool case with everything secure. That's six discs max though.

That sucks about the Battlefield collection. I remember only one collection that shipped several discs on a single spindle, and that was a bargain basement military collection that cost under $8 on Amazon.