Update: Call of Duty: Ghosts Has 50 GB Install

Saucycarpdog

Sep 30, 2009
Evil Smurf said:
Rabish Bini said:
hazabaza1 said:
Fucking christ, excuse me?
That's coming up to MMO size. Hell, that's bigger than older MMOs, what the fuck's using all that space?
The extensive COD campaign which all players know and love.
The AI now calls you a ****** if you are playing offline (to simulate the Xbox Live community). That takes up a lot of space.
Can have one thread, just ONE thread without fanboys like you coming in and trashing other peoples systems? Some people need to grow up, seriously.

Irradiated Tiger said:
That fish AI must take up a lot of space.
But these aren't ordinary fish, remember. They MOVE out of the way. That's highly advanced next gen technology right there.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Saucycarpdog said:
Evil Smurf said:
The AI now calls you a ****** if you are playing offline (to simulate the Xbox Live community). That takes up a lot of space.
Can have one thread, just ONE thread without fanboys like you coming in and trashing other peoples systems? Some people need to grow up, seriously.
I may be a PC enthusiast but am I not allowed to make jokes about online communities? If you play with the XBL community you will be abused, statistically so.

Saucycarpdog

Sep 30, 2009
Evil Smurf said:
Saucycarpdog said:
Evil Smurf said:
I may be a PC enthusiast but am I not allowed to make jokes about online communities? If you play with the XBL community you will be abused, statistically so.
Because the PC community is no better. It has the same amount of rage gamers as xbox live does, statistically so.

I'm also a PC gamer, but I don't pride my fanboyism around like you.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Saucycarpdog said:
Evil Smurf said:
Saucycarpdog said:
Evil Smurf said:
Because the PC community is no better. It has the same amount of rage gamers as xbox live does, statistically so.

I also make fun of the LOL and 4chan communities also people who take things too seriously.

I'm no fanboy, I see the faults in my OS of choice, windows and other OSs.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
What the dingley dongley hell?

Yeah, it's console disc time for that. Unless I gotta install that much with a disc. Yarg.
50 gigs is console murder!

Seriously, I really hope that space requirement gets cut for consoles. PS4, and Xbone are gunna need multiple hard drive slots at this rate. What's higher than terrabytes? We'll need that over a console generation.

Or I hope they're counting the space to download it, and install it. Coz that can double size needs, or close to it.

SpAc3man

Jul 26, 2009
Makes sense. The minimum requirements are pretty typical apart from the install size. The game is launching on the PS4 and Xbone which both make use of Blu-Ray and a lot of memory which allows for some very high resolution textures that take up a lot of space.

Clearly the minimum requirements will match the PS3/360 quality of the game. The install size and GTX 780 for recommended requirements are due to the next-gen version of the game. A PC install needs all the game assets that are used on all the platforms.

Saucycarpdog

Sep 30, 2009
Evil Smurf said:
Saucycarpdog said:
Evil Smurf said:
Saucycarpdog said:
Evil Smurf said:

I also make fun of the LOL and 4chan communities also people who take things too seriously.

I'm no fanboy, I see the faults in my OS of choice, windows and other OSs.
If you say you're not a fanboy, then fine. That's all I wanted to hear. Thank you.

OT: With the physics of the Dog and the fish, this 50 GB is probably justified. I mean, this is a new engine afterall, right?. /sarcasm

MASTACHIEFPWN

Will fight you and lose
Mar 27, 2010
Those graphics aren't 550ti worthy. They're hardly better than MW2's. Crysis is better than that, and that only required an 6800 for fuck's sake. (I've gotten to that point where I concider Crysis's specs low... this is a weird day)
What the fuck is all of that harddrive space being used for? All of the space the campaign won't take up?
The shitty server system?
All of the regrets you're having from buying it?

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
*Looks over at 360...Laughs like a mad man*

Seriously, if they expect to sell this game with a 50 gig download and make money they can think again!

Looks like Ghosts is only gonna be popular on consoles, can't see any PC gamers (unless they have many terrabyts worth of storage) getting this...like at all.

Least i know if get Ghosts for the 360 (that being a very BIG if) i wont have to wait for like...a year? :')

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
Another reason for me to not buy this game.

Picture this: Call of Duty Ghosts is two times bigger than my World of Warcraft folder with all the expansions installed...yeah how about no Activision.

I might also add the system requirements are way too high compared to Blops 2. *points at directx11 and laughs*

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Rebel_Raven said:

Yeah, it's console disc time for that. Unless I gotta install that much with a disc. Yarg.

Seriously, I really hope that space requirement gets cut for consoles. PS4, and Xbone are gunna need multiple hard drive slots at this rate. What's higher than terrabytes? We'll need that over a console generation.

Or I hope they're counting the space to download it, and install it. Coz that can double size needs, or close to it.
Next level up is Petabytes, and I doubt we'll need those any time soon (the LHC only generates 15 petabytes worth of data every year). Hard-drives with double digits worth of Terabytes however are becoming more urgent.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
Ed130 said:
Rebel_Raven said:

Next level up is Petabytes, and I doubt we'll need those any time soon (the LHC only generates 15 petabytes worth of data every year). Hard-drives with double digits worth of Terabytes however are becoming more urgent.
Yeah, I whole heartedly agree. the largest ones out there, 3, 4 terrabytes, I think, are looking woefully small these days to people who're going to have a large library of games, and/or keep games across a console's life cycle, or keep their PC.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Sectan said:
Strazdas said:
FFP2 said:
Strazdas said:
At 30 KB/s it would be more like 20.2 days :p
And yeah without images with 30kb/s it should take a few seconds only so that works.
That's assuming that the stupid internet connection is stable...
which is required by law as per service contract.
Internet connections are required to be stable? Fuck, I really need to tell my provider to get their shit together. Up here in Minnesota Frontier Net is the only show in town so their speeds really suffer during high traffic times. You'd be surprised how often our internet just completely dies and we're just left with LAN for the day.
In my contract there is a line about internet being workable and have at least 99% uptime. them not providing such is a breach of contract and is punishable by law.

FFP2 said:
Strazdas said:
which is required by law as per service contract.
But that would mean that my government is competent :)
Right, i forgot its america were talking about.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Dear Call of Duty. Please investigate a new technology that appeared around the early 1980's called FILE COMPRESSION. I know that learning something useful and new might be difficult but I think you'll find its worth it.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
I best ~70% of that space is a shitty single player campaign that nobody's ever going to play.

Goddamnit, Call of Duty.. please die. You're not fun. And that's exactly what's using up more Gigabytes than a Final Fantasy 13 MMO.

Ah, the COD series, what poorly written, soppy, hormone filled bollocks that take up 40GB are you going to grace us with this time? The president is a super hitman cyborg whose goal is to kill every person with a European accent?

These games are terrible.

Silvershock

Jul 12, 2013
To be honest, I'm quite happy that the game is 50GB. I know that sounds crazy, but it looks like Infinity Ward are finally able to push things again, give their game engine a proper update. This engine might be intended to last the entire upcoming generation, after all, and PC development has long been hamstrung (in some terms) by the limitations of consoles. Why not push everything to the limit now that they can? It'd be good to see PCs suddenly leap forward again and actually reach somewhere near their potential.

Incidentally, the largest shooter download I can remember was Max Payne 3, which clocked in at 30GB on my Steam account.

Whoops, sorry, that was far too rational. According to thread narrative I should be screaming in frothing indignant rage that anyone might enjoy a shooter series enough to not give a damn about utilising the cheapest primary component of any system.

cikame

Jun 11, 2008
The spec requirements for these new pc games are ridiculous, the improvements seem negligable.