Update: Fez Dev Tells Media Member To Kill Himself

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Infernal Lawyer said:
Eclectic Dreck said:
T-Shirt Turtle said:
Completely cancelling a game many fans are probably anticipating is rude and basically amounts to raising a giant middle finger at all gamers, good or bad.
A fan is nothing more than a customer likely to return if a new product arises. If he no longer sees value in exchanging his efforts to make a product, that's not rude. The man doesn't owe you anything you haven't bought and paid for.
Rude or not, there's no denying that dropping development for an eagerly anticipated sequel simply because you had a shit-slinging match with someone is pretty fucking stupid.
It'd be nice if it weren't one sided though. A game made because the developer wanted to make it as opposed a game an audience wanted but the developer lost the passion and drive to make it.

If you're just making a game for the paycheck then making a game is like any other job but if you're making a game because you enjoy making it and that enjoyment is no longer there, why continue?

SonofaJohannes

Apr 18, 2011
Wow, he must have been really upset. Shame to see the game canceled, but if he doesn't want to do it anymore we'll just have to respect that choice.

Full

Sep 3, 2012
Korolev said:
Well, so long Phil. Thanks for FEZ (which really was a great game, by the way). I wish you all the best in your future endeavors, whatever they may be. Although, to be honest, no matter which artistic industry you go into, you're going to encounter people like Marcus Beer. You're going to cop criticism. The Games Industry can be abusive, but so can any industry.
Agreed. So long Phil, and thanks for all the Fish.

[sub][sub][sub]I hope that wasn't taken by now[/sub][/sub][/sub]

Fractral

Tentacle God
Feb 28, 2012
Riobux said:
Fractral said:
Riobux said:
Brussels said:
Riobux said:
Andy of Comix Inc said:
You know, considering Fish's history - continuing? - with astute depression, I'm more worried than angry now. I hope he didn't go off to... do... what he suggested... to himself. Oh, geez.
And just then nothing of value was lost.
This is just as tasteless as Phil telling someone to kill themselves.
I just don't understand what was so great about Fez, and therefore I struggle to work out what is the value of Fish beyond the "but he's a human being!" excuse.
What have you produced? If you say that someone being a conscious human being is just an 'excuse' and their life means nothing, what would be lost if you died? People are worth more than just what they produce.
Let's be realistic: Why would you care if I got hit by a car tomorrow? Sure you may have a brief moment of "oh, it's sad he got hit by a car", but because I haven't had any significance to your life in any way you probably wouldn't care beyond five minutes. I haven't produced anything note-worthy, not in terms of physical content, social content or something mentally stimulating. Phil Fish, to me, hasn't provided me anything that has been note-worthy to me personally in any way. Therefore, if he offed himself in the near future nothing of value would be lost to me.

Although if you can name someone who has been worth a lot despite not making anything of worth in terms of physical, social or mental content, I'll admit fault.
Your parents? Your family? Anyone who you love? They should be worth a lot to most people, barring unfortunate circumstances, despite not being important to most people but you.
I can understand where you're coming from- heck, I feel the same way about people at school- but there is a difference between being unable to care about someone because you don't know them at all, and saying that them dying is a neutral event. I don't have to weep for someone's death to understand that it is a sad thing that they died.
But I suppose that's almost what you're saying.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Ultratwinkie said:
Azaraxzealot said:
hazabaza1 said:
Steven Bogos said:
"im being attacked CONSTANTLY. and i can't fight back? ever? yeah that seems fair."
Maybe if he wasn't such a **** he wouldn't have to fight back.

Honestly, the way he acts, he's surprised that he gets shit? He gives people no reason to believe he's not a giant prick.
So... because he's honest, open, and speaks his mind that makes him a giant prick? See, this is why we can't have a more transparent game industry that is direct and honest with us, the consumers, because the consumers just rip the heads off of any developer that dares to say anything other than PR-Friendly drivel and is expected to take all the abuse we load on them without even so much as a peep, otherwise they are a "giant prick" or "such a ****".

I'm going to miss Phil, he may not have made a game I actually WANTED to play, but he was EXACTLY the kind of developer this industry needs to instill a positive change in this festering stagnation. One that was not afraid to actually be a NORMAL PERSON instead of some nebulous, unseen developer who only shows his face to say something factual about whatever they're working on, hype it up a little, then disappear back to the office. However, I guess the industry is just not ready to accept that people with a bit of fame and credibility are actually people too who have differing opinions, emotions, and lives outside of their career. This moment right here has just made the game industry's developers retreat just a little farther into their offices, since it seems all they think we expect, nay, DEMAND of them is to keep their mouths shut unless they give us more information on their games and at all other times just work on games.
http://i1336.photobucket.com/albums/o646/dirigere5/philfish_zpsd3a5ffb9.png
http://www.giantbomb.com/phil-fish/3040-100988/forums/phil-fish-professional-troll-1433588/

Phil has said that the Japanese make bad games, and that he is the second coming of christ to console gamers. He thinks he is the voice of a generation.

He hates PC, then crawls back saying shit's so expensive and says he should have went on PC after insulting them.

There is a fine line, and fish crosses it.

You forgot when he bashed the 3DS for having 3D. A gimmick his game is inspired by.

Varya

Elvish Ambassador
Nov 23, 2009
I'm getting sick that this industry constantly tries to get taken seriously as an art form and not "just a business", but when we get people that are traditional "artists", e.g. moody, depressed or just plain weird, we do our best to push them away and accuse them of being unprofessional. Take a look at any other medium and look among the most critically acclaimed creators. It's smack full of loonies, weirdos and pricks. Why do we expect this industry's artists to hold up to some sort of gold standard in sanity and professionalism?
Look, I'm not saying you can't be a good artist and a professional, just look at Miracle of Sound, that guy keeps producing quality shit on a schedule, and I'm not even saying Phil Fish is any good, I haven't played Fez. But I do think it was a good sign for the industry that eccentric people like him and Blow were getting a voice in the industry. I don't think the game industry needs a "Citizen Kane", but maybe we do need an Orson Wells, an Alan Moore and a Salvador Dali.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
i couldn't care less. i don't care about fez
the whole indie gaming scene passed me by for a couple of years because i just don't like platformers and apparently the solution when you don't want to work in the AAA industry because you don't want to make just another shooter is to make another platformer with a gimmick.
oh and you probably should stay off twitter if you can't deal with criticism.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Azaraxzealot said:
hazabaza1 said:
Steven Bogos said:
"im being attacked CONSTANTLY. and i can't fight back? ever? yeah that seems fair."
Maybe if he wasn't such a **** he wouldn't have to fight back.

Honestly, the way he acts, he's surprised that he gets shit? He gives people no reason to believe he's not a giant prick.
So... because he's honest, open, and speaks his mind that makes him a giant prick? See, this is why we can't have a more transparent game industry that is direct and honest with us, the consumers, because the consumers just rip the heads off of any developer that dares to say anything other than PR-Friendly drivel and is expected to take all the abuse we load on them without even so much as a peep, otherwise they are a "giant prick" or "such a ****".

I'm going to miss Phil, he may not have made a game I actually WANTED to play, but he was EXACTLY the kind of developer this industry needs to instill a positive change in this festering stagnation. One that was not afraid to actually be a NORMAL PERSON instead of some nebulous, unseen developer who only shows his face to say something factual about whatever they're working on, hype it up a little, then disappear back to the office. However, I guess the industry is just not ready to accept that people with a bit of fame and credibility are actually people too who have differing opinions, emotions, and lives outside of their career. This moment right here has just made the game industry's developers retreat just a little farther into their offices, since it seems all they think we expect, nay, DEMAND of them is to keep their mouths shut unless they give us more information on their games and at all other times just work on games.
No, doing shit like this [https://securecdn.disqus.com/uploads/mediaembed/images/565/3015/original.jpg] and this [http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/0/6329/2241577-fish.png] and this [http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b196/Starmenclock/philfishNitendoretarded_zps1a9b2e04.png] is what makes him a ****.

He's a public figure who goes around insulting and berating people yet is surprised and has a hissy fit whenever people insult him back. Considering how much he talks about how everyone else's game is shit and his is so good I get the impression that he's a bit of a narcissist, but again, one who just can't take it that maybe someone won't like him or his game.

I get that he has a lot of people insulting him on a daily basis. I get that twitter "can bring so much ugliness into (his) life" [sub](although that's fucking stupid because why not just leave or hire someone to block people for you earlier i'unno[/sub], but there's a lot of indie devs on twitter who would easily be receiving similar hatred but because they don't say whatever shit spews out of their anuses and if they do they don't say it in such a way to draw inflammatory attention to themselves, they don't get as hated as Blowfish. Imagine that!

Typecast

Jul 27, 2008
The entire conversation around the internet that I've seen so far, and the way it's been going, makes me not want to be a game developer and make games for people. I just don't think I could expose myself to the torrents of abuse; being in the public eye.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Typecast said:
The entire conversation around the internet that I've seen so far, and the way it's been going, makes me not want to be a game developer and make games for people. I just don't think I could expose myself to the torrents of abuse; being in the public eye.
It's anywhere you are a major public figure. But yes, it seems people who play games have no problem going straight to making it a personal affair and just really wringing out as much passive aggression they can, if not outright vitriol.

I've always said, if I were in a similar position, I would do what's necessary to keep my consumers informed about the important things, but other than that I would not touch any social media.

JoshuaMadoc

Sep 3, 2008
I think it's becoming clear that more than half of all of you in this thread will walk to Phil Fish's funeral and laugh at him to the top of your lungs. It'd pointless for me to ask that question, "whatever happened to never speaking ill of the dead?", because I know you lot cannot live without some of that schadenfreude. I, on the other hand, will be the only one gently putting down a single Cyclamen by his bosom, maybe punch his lifeless husk of a face all but once, and walk away without a word.

He and I share a lot of things in common, doubly so in terms of mental instability. The only thing that separates us would be that I have achieved nothing, am nobody, never believed that I can make anything good, am always haunted by regret, and have a crippling fear of death.

PH3NOmenon

Oct 23, 2009
Why does anyone care?

"Go and kill yourself." is the epitome of insults now? I've heard worse things irl and didn't hear any backlash, but on twitter that's not allowed? Because twitter is such a high-brow forum for discussion?

Also:

shirkbot

Apr 15, 2013
Phil Fish said:
"To be clear, I'm not canceling Fez II because some boorish fuck said something stupid, I'm doing it to get out of games. And I'm getting out of games because I choose not to put up with this abuse anymore."
Well good luck to you, I hope it works out. Though I feel you could have just turned off your social media accounts if you wanted the abuse to end. It seems a lot easier, and you could still make games if you liked. Either way you made Fez and, while I've never played it, a lot of people like it.

zidine100

Mar 19, 2009
"To be clear, I'm not cancelling Fez II because some boorish fuck said something stupid, I'm doing it to get out of games. And I'm getting out of games because I choose not to put up with this abuse anymore."
clearly someone hasn't worked in a call center, or customer service, i sort of laugh in the face of what you consider abuse.

I wonder how much money he just through down the drain cancelling this one.

captainballsack

Feb 13, 2013
Nobody ever criticized you on the quality of your games, Fish, they criticized you because you come across as a genuinely shitty person.

Maybe if you spent less time fucking around on twitter and focused more on your games, you would receive less flak. Maybe if you didn't go around "trolling" for attention, people wouldn't give you shit. You are extremely talented, but you don't have you head screwed on at all.

Meestor Pickle

Jul 29, 2010
"To be clear, I'm not cancelling Fez II because some boorish fuck said something stupid, I'm doing it to get out of games. And I'm getting out of games because I choose not to put up with this abuse anymore."

So I'm not doing it because someone said something mean but it was because someone said something mean. Thats all I read out of that