Update: Fez Dev Tells Media Member To Kill Himself

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
Here's how you fight back.

"The thing with us "tosspots" "hipsters" is that we're not beholden to media leeches like you, and you're right. we're VERY successful. And we're not going anywhere. Get used to it because you will be reporting on my success stories for a long while more."

There you go Philly. A snarky comeback where you applaud yourself, scoff at him for being a decrepit old media parasite and basically do take the high-ground whilst still denigrating him to nothing more than someone who will be heralding your achievements.

That is how someone would react if they weren't hipster tosspot douchebags. It's best if you keep to making games and not engaging in empty exchanges of excessive insults.

roushutsu

Mar 14, 2012
This guy's clearly having a mental breakdown. It doesn't excuse him lashing out like this and cancelling a game because of a remark, but the guy does need to get away and take some time out to clear his head.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
Complain about being called a tosspot...
by proving you are, indeed, a tosspot.
Good job!

sid

Jan 22, 2013
http://i.imgur.com/R9i47.png

I mean, it's Phil Fish. Dude's not exactly known for being stable and friendly. Yeah, he gets attacked on a pretty regular basis, but the things he says tend to warrant it. If he thinks internet satire is enough motivation for closing up shop, maybe working on the internet-centric indie game scene isn't exactly the place for him.

Jakabotch

Apr 16, 2008
I'm going to start off by saying that a quote from Futurama being the main focus of the headline is a bit silly, in my honest opinion.

The rest of what Fish is going on about is, of course, completely and utterly moronic. I just don't think that particular line should be what this article is pointing out as ridiculous, as it's not a real threat or statement.

Professor Uzzy

Jul 17, 2009
Love how the OP reduces Marcus Beer's relentless attack against Fish to just 'blowfish'. How about providing some better context, hmm?

No one looks good here, but presenting Marcus Beer as some innocent wronged party in this is just insane.

KillMeOnceMore

Mar 29, 2011
I just think this is a real shame all round. Phil Fish is obviously a talented guy but he's in the wrong medium for someone of his sensitive disposition, and I think it's shameful that the medium can't accommodate someone of that disposition. I'm not excusing his actions this time and he's often done himself no favours, but he has been pushed around and hounded A LOT. And before the bedroom crusaders start judging him, I'd like them to try and imagine how they would handle even half that level of scrutiny and abuse.

I often daydream about being involved in the games industry in some writing capacity or some sort and the first obstacle that crushes it isn't my talent (or lack of), knowledge or connections, it's always "could I handle the gaming community?" because I'm really not sure I could. I wonder how many other people, maybe even with actual talent, are being put off for the same reason.

xDarc

Feb 19, 2009
Compare my life to yours and then kill yourself? That's quite an ego for someone most people have never heard of. Another big fish in a small pond.

Fractral

Tentacle God
Feb 28, 2012
Riobux said:
Brussels said:
Riobux said:
Andy of Comix Inc said:
You know, considering Fish's history - continuing? - with astute depression, I'm more worried than angry now. I hope he didn't go off to... do... what he suggested... to himself. Oh, geez.
And just then nothing of value was lost.
This is just as tasteless as Phil telling someone to kill themselves.
I just don't understand what was so great about Fez, and therefore I struggle to work out what is the value of Fish beyond the "but he's a human being!" excuse.
What have you produced? If you say that someone being a conscious human being is just an 'excuse' and their life means nothing, what would be lost if you died? People are worth more than just what they produce.
OT: So in this situation everybody is an ass? Fish loses his rag and goes overboard; somewhat understandable given that he's been insulted repeatedly by people who also should know better, and now he's paying for it by no longer being able to make his games, for whatever reason. Sad story, whatever way you look at it. I do really hope he hasn't decided to go and do something stupid in his anger/depression.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
So 'indie dev throws tantrum cause some guy called him a name' basically? spiffy, and not really news worthy >.> the part about Fez 2 getting canned, sure, worth a report, but the dev throwing a hissy fit cause some one called him 'blow fish', ugh ....

It'd been more worth while to write up a news story on Transformers Prime ending then reporting some assholes temper tantrum

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Beer needs to fuck off. What has he contributed, exactly, to this industry? That's what I thought. At least Fish does shit.

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
Fractral said:
Riobux said:
Brussels said:
Riobux said:
Andy of Comix Inc said:
You know, considering Fish's history - continuing? - with astute depression, I'm more worried than angry now. I hope he didn't go off to... do... what he suggested... to himself. Oh, geez.
And just then nothing of value was lost.
This is just as tasteless as Phil telling someone to kill themselves.
I just don't understand what was so great about Fez, and therefore I struggle to work out what is the value of Fish beyond the "but he's a human being!" excuse.
What have you produced? If you say that someone being a conscious human being is just an 'excuse' and their life means nothing, what would be lost if you died? People are worth more than just what they produce.
Let's be realistic: Why would you care if I got hit by a car tomorrow? Sure you may have a brief moment of "oh, it's sad he got hit by a car", but because I haven't had any significance to your life in any way you probably wouldn't care beyond five minutes. I haven't produced anything note-worthy, not in terms of physical content, social content or something mentally stimulating. Phil Fish, to me, hasn't provided me anything that has been note-worthy to me personally in any way. Therefore, if he offed himself in the near future nothing of value would be lost to me.

Although if you can name someone who has been worth a lot despite not making anything of worth in terms of physical, social or mental content, I'll admit fault.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
Eri said:
Beer needs to fuck off. What has he contributed, exactly, to this industry? That's what I thought. At least Fish does shit.
Philly Fishsticks acted like a textbook NFL diva: showboating, bragging, over-estimating his abilities and status all because he made one half-decent game that was well-received by critics. And it finally came back to bite him in the ass.

This guy fucking ridiculed people on Twitter on a daily basis, but it looks like he can't handle the taste of his own medicine.

Good riddance. This is not how a grown man is supposed to act.

Senare

Aug 6, 2010
Alcaste said:
I'll give you a moment to think about that statement. That he acted 'human'. Suicide is a pretty big deal. People DO kill themselves because bullies tell them to. Phil Fish doesn't deserve any sympathy. He's always been a melodramatic ass that lashes out at everyone. Him shutting up for a while is better for the whole industry. At least until he grows up.
thebobmaster said:
Senare said:
Lashing out is one thing. Telling a critic to kill themselves, because he is so much better than them, though? What would he have to say for you to hold it against him?
Suicide is a very big deal, yet to me it is besides the point because I perceive his tweet as just a singular attempt at being hurtful in response to a perceived attack.
I view the interchange abstractly as a verbal attack against another (perceived or actual). This is a different perspective than a logical exchange of words (content) and more an emotional exchange of intentions. Thus the exact content does not matter because to me this is about the human urge to attack back when being attacked. What content is "one step to far" would be more a matter of taste and values of the observer.

Having someone completely overcome such behaviour in all areas of life is rare; Fish's tolerance and maturity is just on a different level than what is expected of him (so a bit of personal development would do him good). Who everyone think Fish is does not really matter to me. Dick or no, it is still very human behaviour and I would not hold such behaviour against him as a human being because such behaviour is natural to me.

What would he have to say to tick me off? The answer is pretty unsatisfying actually: he would have to attack something I hold dear and push my buttons enough to lose my respect. But that would still not make me hold such behaviour against him, because then everyone else reacting the same way (in a general sense) would get the same treatment (by my estimate that would be the majority of the world population).

Hopefully that made some semblance of sense. :/

Sectan

Aug 7, 2011
This Fish guy needs to grow the hell up. Done. End of Story. He reduced himself to the level of a 13 year old with a mic and no parental guidance. I'm surprised he didn't start calling the critic a fag before he told him to kill himself. Plenty of people have contributed more to their field while taking more shit and have still come out on top.

Vaccine

Feb 13, 2010
Oh he's been doing this shit for ages, I remember when Fez came out on PC and when it did better on PC than Xbox Live he called people who bought a PC copy "cheap bastards" or something to that degree.

I really share no sympathy for him because of how he talks to people, but at the same time I'll miss reading the reports of him verbally abusing a large demographic of people or individuals.
I'm sure he'll be back in a few weeks.

PatrickXD

Aug 13, 2009
"You're a fucking tosspot hipster"
"Hey, fuck you, I make this shit. And you eat it."

Seems fair enough to me. Good for you, Phil Fish.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Eric the Orange said:
Seems to be pretty common problem for some creative types that they cannot take criticism of there work.
It's a problem with people full stop, but doubly so when they've invested themselves so heavily into something that criticism of that thing essentially becomes a direct criticism of the person in that person's mind.

It can be very hard to take a step back no matter how obvious it is to outsiders. Been there, not on this scale, but definitely been there.

Anyway.

Having said that, of all the people to freakout at, Marcus Beer? As in the guy who used do PR for Ubisoft then Vivendi, who has his name in the credits of things like IL2, Ghost Recon and FEAR? The guy who NBC go to for a gaming opinion? Yeah, total parasite, never had anything to do with games, not in our corner at all, I'm sure when he looks at his nice house, wife and kids he feels totally awful too.

I guess Fish is learning this the hard way, but there are people out there who are both on 'our' side and perfectly willing to criticise you and your behaviour if they feel you deserve it. He would have been better off quietly asking Beer for advice, goodness knows Fish needs someone out there with the experience and knowledge to tell him to shut up, Beer would have been just the man.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Hazy said:
Good riddance. This is not how a grown man is supposed to act.
That little video had me in hysterics, whoever put that music to is a genius, if it was you, you're a genius, a comedy genius.

I'm still giggling like an idiot now.