Update: Fez Dev Tells Media Member To Kill Himself

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
fix-the-spade said:
Hazy said:
Good riddance. This is not how a grown man is supposed to act.
That little video had me in hysterics, whoever put that music to is a genius, if it was you, you're a genius, a comedy genius.

I'm still giggling like an idiot now.
Nah, I wish, but I can't take credit for this. I was asleep when the news broke, haha.

TIMESWORDSMAN

Wishes he had fewer cap letters.
Mar 7, 2008
Steven Bogos said:
Fish lashed out at Beer on Twitter
NO! Fish and Chips will never be the same without beer! How will this affect the British Economy!?

Seriously, this is sad. I recently watched the Indie Game documentary, and even under that positive light Fish seemed a nervous and unstable person, likely due to massive overwork and being slightly unhinged to begin with. I'm sad for him.

Here's hoping this all works out for everyone.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
I think this points to something that is very problematic with the industry: It needs to grow up. Both the games creator, and the game media, act like spoiled rotten children that, when they don't get their way, they decide to insult, belittle, and throw a tantrum. This whole industry needs to really grow up and end this kind of Spoiled ness. I remember when Notch went on a rampage and insult the Yogcast for something he didn't even witness personally. I remember Spoony (who was/is suffering from depression) breaking down and going on a rampage on Twitter. Now this (And apparently, Mr. Fish might also have depression). The Industry needs to grow up.

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
Things like this make me wish I had pirated Fez.
But then again, that would be just as immature.

ninjaRiv

Aug 25, 2010
Wait wait wait... Someone acted like a prick on the internet? That can't be right... Can we check again? Maybe it was a mistake.

To be honest, if he's going to act like a dick he deserves silly comments like "blowfish."

SadisticFire

Oct 1, 2012
I definitely feel like the minority here, but that's me not knowing much till this. If people are going to be complete assholes to him and they expect no consequence to come to it, this seems like a consequence and *should* tell others to watch what they say. But seeing how people didn't even watch the arrest of Justin Cart ehh....
Though there were better options, neither party did the proper one.
EDIT: OH wait I read the article wrong. I thought he was being told to kill himself, the creator that is for a minor issue in their game. Never mind, he is an asshole.

Not Lord Atkin

I'm dead inside.
Oct 25, 2008
I don't much care for Beer, the guy mixes his work with his personal life way too much, often uses his show on GT to talk about his personal issues and generally treats the camera like his personal therapist. But damn, this wasn't cool.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Akalabeth said:
Fish was out of line certainly. But the other guy sounds like a grade-a juvenile asshole as well. This is an example of two people who should've been the better man, and yet neither of them were.
Worthwhile note, when he was talking about Blowfish he was talking about the collective pairing of Jonathan Blow of Braid fame and Phil Fish of Fez fame. Also, like the Blowfish, they're quite tasty but potentially lethal.

He was specifically talking about the pair's tendency to court the media at every opportunity, but immediately lash out the moment the attention they'd created didn't suit them or the coverage moved in a direction they didn't like. Whilst his delivery was typically sweary welshman the point was that 'BlowFish' have set themselves up as the self proclaimed faces of Indy Game Development. Having created that image themselves, they don't get to be surprised when the press turns to them for an opinion. As the 'faces' of an entire industry they have a duty to make that industry look good, not lash out all the time which could hurt many more people and projects than their own.

Unfortunately that seems to have sailed past Fish, who's reverted to type.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
A man insults another man for insulting him. We must all comment on this! =p

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
mronoc said:
Given the sheer amount of shit I see tossed at Phil Fish on the internet on a constant basis, this outburst is wholly understandable. Childish and irrational to be sure, but also understandable.
Agreed, holy shit the guy is abused on a daily basis. No wonder he's being a dick.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
I'm not up to speed with Fish's PR. But what I do know (or am led to believe) is that he generally acts like an unlikable ****.

Something tells me if that didn't happen, Twitter wouldn't bring "so much ugliness" into his life.

Telling someone to kill themselves (after insulting and lording over them, no less), then cancelling your game after people got mad at you? Christ, might as well be middle school.

Fin Morrison

Mar 29, 2011
I'm really sad that fez 2 got cancelled, i was really looking forward too it. also, has anyone ever considered the possibility the Phil might actually be doing i this on purpose? I mean his twitter profile pic is bleeding Andy Kaufman!

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....
*20 minutes later)*

...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHahahahahahahahaha...

Oh god... that is awesome...

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Dogstile said:
mronoc said:
Given the sheer amount of shit I see tossed at Phil Fish on the internet on a constant basis, this outburst is wholly understandable. Childish and irrational to be sure, but also understandable.
Agreed, holy shit the guy is abused on a daily basis. No wonder he's being a dick.
If he wasn't known for blowing up so easily and dishing it out when he can't take it, then no one would bug him. People are pricks to be sure, but he made himself a hornet's nest for the world to poke. When someone's trying to get a rise out of you, you never give them the joy of knowing they succeeded.

Then he didn't have the sense to either get out of Twitter or to better control his emotions. Emotional problems or not, he wasn't chained to his Twitter feed. He stayed in the cesspit and then complained about being neck-deep in crap.

There's indie devs who don't have to put up with half of what he had because they can control if not themselves then at least their responses. There's also people in gaming hated far more than him that have a far easier time of it because they're smart enough to do things like disable comments on their blogs and not throw themselves into the unmoderated messes of Twitter et al.

Omegatronacles

Guardian Of Forever
Oct 15, 2009
Riobux said:
*SNIP*

Let's be realistic: Why would you care if I got hit by a car tomorrow? Sure you may have a brief moment of "oh, it's sad he got hit by a car", but because I haven't had any significance to your life in any way you probably wouldn't care beyond five minutes. I haven't produced anything note-worthy, not in terms of physical content, social content or something mentally stimulating. Phil Fish, to me, hasn't provided me anything that has been note-worthy to me personally in any way. Therefore, if he offed himself in the near future nothing of value would be lost to me.

Although if you can name someone who has been worth a lot despite not making anything of worth in terms of physical, social or mental content, I'll admit fault.
You are correct, if you got hit by a car tomorrow, I would not lose any sleep over it, because I do not know you and until this point you have not crossed my life today.

But at the same time, I do not spend my time going "If Riobux dies, nothing has been lost", because that's a stupid statement, and it implies that you have no value to anyone in this world.

If there is at least one person who feels the world is better due to your time on it, you have produced value and don't deserve to have your entire life dismissed in 8 words.

Ralfarius

Nov 20, 2009
Not nearly enough people chiming in on recognizing a well-placed Futurama quote.

That is the truly disappointing aspect of this entire debacle.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
I would give my "Personality is paramount in the game industry" and "Being an independent game developer does not separate you from the industry" speeches, but at this point it like beating a dead horse as it pertains to Fish.