UPDATE: Mass Effect 3's Multiplayer is incredible. (Added my refletions and a quick guide)

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
I'm really interested in this, but I do have one question: is there a local multiplayer option or does it have to be online? Because I'd personally prefer splitscreen given the choice.

Also, while the multiplayer does look and sound really fun, I'm a bit disappointed that the other races are so limited compared to the humans. Surely the appeal of the ME3 multiplayer is being able to finally play as a race apart from humans. But having to unlock other races just seems like they're trying to limit their selling point.

Also, the class distribution is mostly good, except for one thing: I heard somewhere that Krogan can only be Soliders or Sentinels, while Drell can only be Adept or Vanguard. Wouldn't it make more sense to reverse the latter two (as in, Krogan Vanguard, Drell Sentinel)? The Vanguard playstyle (offensive bitoic w/shotgun) was practically made for Krogan, and I don't think there's any reason why a Drell can't have tech abilities as well as biotic. Yes, I realised just how nerdy this paragraph sounds as soon as I finished typing it.

Darkmantle

Oct 30, 2011
Its just..... so... fucking.... good!

Holy shit! I've never had that much fun in a horde mode, EVER!

And holy FUCK is it fun!

There's just so much random fun to be had in playing an asari biotic, just fucking throwing people and stunning them, it's fucking awesome! I hope they release more MP content for the demo, I want some new maps and enemies!

Darkmantle

Oct 30, 2011
Kingjackl said:
I'm really interested in this, but I do have one question: is there a local multiplayer option or does it have to be online? Because I'd personally prefer splitscreen given the choice.

Also, while the multiplayer does look and sound really fun, I'm a bit disappointed that the other races are so limited compared to the humans. Surely the appeal of the ME3 multiplayer is being able to finally play as a race apart from humans. But having to unlock other races just seems like they're trying to limit their selling point.

Also, the class distribution is mostly good, except for one thing: I heard somewhere that Krogan can only be Soliders or Sentinels, while Drell can only be Adept or Vanguard. Wouldn't it make more sense to reverse the latter two (as in, Krogan Vanguard, Drell Sentinel)? The Vanguard playstyle (offensive bitoic w/shotgun) was practically made for Krogan, and I don't think there's any reason why a Drell can't have tech abilities as well as biotic. Yes, I realised just how nerdy this paragraph sounds as soon as I finished typing it.
Sorry for double post, but I have to agree. I'm a BIT disappointed by the race selection, I was all psyched up to be a drell infiltrator, but quarians get to be infiltrators? :/

Also, The way it's set up, there's just SO many fucking humans, it's silly. I play the lone asari in teams of humans.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Kingjackl said:
It's a balance thing. Krogan are already a bit overpowered. They're incredibly hard to kill and nigh unstoppable at melee range.

A Krogan who can instantly charge into short range and hurl biotics around would just be ridiculous.

Shame, I was looking forward to my Krogan vanguard.

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
Hammeroj said:
Zeel said:
Dandark said:
I thought Zeel was a bad troll. Now I think that he may just be stupid, im pretty sure he is.
/quote]

Yeah, the "logic" that people constantly came up with good arguments for but you constantly dismissed them, and practically everyone on this site, even people who don't like ME3, think that you're a few crayons short of a box, that's not the kind of "logic" that I smile on.

As for your other question, I am an ME fan that frequents this website a lot, are you really surprised that you keep bumping into me? If I really had it in for you, I would reply to every post that you ever made, I did not.

Who the Hell do I think I am?......WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM?!

Congratulations. You have just won the argument and thread.

OT: I played the demo, I wasn't really impressed. It's okay but I don't really like it, I have probably just gotten bored of all the horde modes but it didn't really impress me and I can't help but feel that it is tacked on. I have nothing against it but I doubt it will affect how much I enjoy the game.
I want to see one good argument that I have 'dismissed'. Just one.

Edit: Hell, any argument. I really want to see it.
I think the guy's quote messed up. You can see the
's laying around.[/quote]

Yeah my quote messed up since I suck at using those. I just wanted to thank the guy for finding an excuse to post a Kamina pic.

Also Zeel, one argument that you dismissed? How about every argument made against you. You have pretty much said that if somebody disagress with you and likes Mass effect 3 then they are stupid and their opinion means nothing.

You want to know who else does that? ****s, trolls and politicans. People are classing you as the best of the 3 but you really don't help yourself. I see where your coming from though.
You have a point that some people go way too crazy over Mass effect, I get that you mean fanboys rathers than fans however your point isn't really coming across well and your making everyone who enjoy's the game think your talking about them.
You may be for all I know though I would hope not.

Steampunk Viking

Jan 15, 2010
Finally got a chance to try it out over the weekend... very impressed, alot better than I expected to be perfectly honest. Tried the Infiltrator and Engineer classes (Infiltrator I liked better).

It may be a watered down version of Hordes Mode in GoW, but I did like the random extra missions added every few waves and the fact you have to work as a team to win (if you get too far from your team mates, you'll get swamped and destroyed I found).

Joshimodo

Sep 13, 2008
Engineer? Best class? No sir, not at all. That's the Drell, Vanguard or Adept.

I play Sentinel, which is probably the 2nd best supporting class (after the Infiltrator). Access to Warp for peeling away enemy defences (which is incredibly useful for those Phantoms), Throw for totally negating Guardian shields (and generally being a spam attack), and a permanent 25-45% damage reduction from the tech armour.

The Drell Vanguard with a shotgun + bayonet is obscenely powerful. Charge into enemy, straight into melee, instant health bar gone for the enemy (apart from the Atlas, of course). Charge recharges straight away, so you can either escape if it's an Atlas or Guardian, or spam it and the extended melee to more or less OHK anything.
Then, there's the Cluster Grenades. Once they are maxed, they can halve the number of enemies in a few throws. They aren't as damaging as the Frags of course, but they make up for it with hilarious ragdolling and larger coverage.

The Drell Adept is just mental. Reave + Cluster Grenades + Modded Carnifex/Phalanx pistol, and you're nigh-invincible.

Anyway, I too am impressed - Or at least, not disappointed. I expected a tacky, rammed-in multiplayer like Bioshock 2's or so on. Instead, I got an entertaining and challenging (on higher difficulty) horde mode with RPG elements (and not just useless levelling, either).

Good job, BioWare. Now as long as you haven't made the singleplayer campaign rife with clichés and bad choices, you've done us proud. The combat and RPG-ness is significantly improved over ME2, and you've removed some of the awful design choices made between ME and ME2.

xchurchx

Nov 2, 2009
I'm just glad they went down the Co-op route, competitive wouldn't have worked so well imo

Darkmantle

Oct 30, 2011
Metalhandkerchief said:
Doesn't matter if it dispenses gold plated diamonds for every kill as long as Origin is part of the package.

Do not want.
I feel your pain, I'm glad I have ME1 and 2 on console already

Setrus

Oct 17, 2011
Awexsome said:
It. Is. AMAZING.

The single player was about what I was expecting from a Mass Effect game which is a good thing. Multiplayer though has been such a blast! I got together a full party of friends and we played for hours. The maps are fun to play on, the weapons are fun to use, the powers are even more fun to use...

The difficulty pulls no punches either! At first I struggled with bronze but eventually my group of friends started dominating it pretty easily, however with all our characters around lvl 10 even with mics and 100% organization we only were able to beat silver once out of 5 or 6 tries! I fear how bad gold would be!

Plus this is only the demo! With only 2 maps and 1 enemy faction! I've been playing the shit out of the demo and who knows how many maps and factions will be in the final version.

The "tacked on" multiplayer was resources very, VERY well spent.
100% agreed on it all.
As to the real game...do you see that map where you choose characters and quick matches and such? There's five zones, and the two maps are in the same zone, so guessing it's 10-12 maps, perhaps. :) As to the enemies...we've faced Cerberus (obviously), and the trailer shows the husk army (or would that be reaper?) and Geth (where that Salarian takes one down) there might also be the Rachni there at the end where the Salarian and human are shooting like crazy...though don't quote me on that, I only saw something green and bug-like leap at them. :p

So...yeah...I'm excited.

Riki Darnell

Dec 23, 2011
Zeel said:
Riki Darnell said:
Zeel said:
The posters here are generally Bioware fanboys. Your opinion is not to be trusted when it comes to Bioware. When I play the multiplayer, then we'll see how 'good' it is.
I'm not a bioware fan, but I loved this demo. I play all types of shooters and get tired of most after a while, but I could see playing this for a while. I can't think of a game since L4D came out where a few of my friend and I stayed up till 9AM playing a demo.
The "i play all types of shooters" is when your opinion became irrelevant. This is an supposed rpg game, the fact that you like this Multiplayer is just more evidence against it.

Plus, you've just started playing it and yet you're raving about how you might potentially play it till 9am. Good grief.
ME is a shooter/rpg like how Fable is an adventure/rpg if I said "i play all kinda of RPGs" would that have made a difference? And it's not that I potentially will play it till 9am, my friends and I DID play it from 10pm to 9am the day it was available for them to play.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
Zeel said:
totally heterosexual said:
Zeel said:
Again with this bullcrap. Do you have a some sort of affection for the phrase 'freedom of speech'. I do not understand why you keep using it, ESPECIALLY when it is of zero relevance to this discussion.

If you're trying to say that "all opinions are of equal merit" than we just fundamentally disagree. I do not think every opinion is equal and every opinion deserves to be heard. There are people out there who are misinformed, biased, intellectually bankrupt and just a flaming toolbag.

That however doesn't change the fact that they have the right to speak.(Nor if I had the choice, would I change it) I just refuse to listen to such nonsense.

I also think my opinion should be held higher when the opposition can't seem to critique the argument and instead focus on the delivery. See, that silly arguing tactic is what makes me question how valid your opinion is.
But you see my man. You dont make the rules. You cant just say that "I think their opinion does not matter as much as mine". The societ did not give you the right to fundamentally disagree. So when these people speak, you have to listen to it or leave. No one gave tyou the right to change the rules for one thread.

However. If we are going with that logic then that means that i can just say that "You dont have the right to post at all". With the addition of the fact that i will now start following you posting and call you a cocksucker in every thread you post in. Hey that sounds good, lets go with that.

Wow you sure love those male sexual reproductive organs, huh?
Jesus christ? Do I have to bash your head in and write it on your brain? Come now. I dont know how else I can explain it to you:
Some opinions are stupid, I disregard stupid opinions.

You are a perfect example of why some opinions (and arguments) aren't worth the bandwidth used.

First of all. Yes, I make the rules. When it comes to my opinion you can bet your skinny ass I make the rules. When it comes to what I consider valid. Only I can make the rules. I don't know what hippy farm you were born on but this is just how it goes. If you disagree, you are seriously deluded and misinformed.

For your second claim, we'll just skip over the backwards logic for the time being. I don't need society's "permission" to disagree. Seeing as, according to you, I don't have it, Yet. GASP, here I am disagreeing. Who woulda' thought.

Don't know how to even reply to your third sentence, clearly you are having trouble comprehending. what. I. am. saying.

Lastly, time to retire the homosexual jokes. I believe theres an unspoken internet rule that repeating the same joke more than 3 times is a faux pa.
people have opinions and just because there different then yours doesn't make them stupid or irrelevant. i think its time you left for good since you don't seem to understand that.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
Does anyone else find the new cover system incredibly awkward on the PC?

Edit: Never mind, problem solved. My bad, it's actually pretty decent.

Setrus

Oct 17, 2011
AlternatePFG said:
No.

...okay, at first, but then I got used to it.
The thing is that holding down space is only really needed if you're running, otherwise a tap is enough. Near a wall? Tap to go into cover. Near a downed ally or computer? Tap to start working on it. It works when in cover too, tap it to exit cover, hold down a direction key in the same direction as one of those arrows you see on the screen and then tap space to roll over to another piece of cover...after a while I don't even think about it, which means it's doing something right.

Well...for me at least, I am aware others have pointed out the same thing as you, so maybe you're right...but I just wanted to share how it feels to me.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
AlternatePFG said:
Not really.

I occasionally do a cover switch when I intended to leave cover, but that's about the sum of it.