[UPDATE] Microsoft Devastates Autistic Child By Labeling Him a Cheater

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
Talcon said:
Edit: This kid only had 1,500 gamer score? That's nothing. He should be able to get that back within a week, month tops
He has 40 played games on his profile so I doubt that's true, more like 1,500 achievements [not gamerscore].

Edit x2: When the kid received his free month of XBL, it didn't work. Typical Microsoft.
You really beleive anything the women states regarding this case? After she admitted to completely lying and having no understanding of what had occurred...really? She's a moron - end of; I can't beleive anyone would still trust her comments after all that has been revealed...

Nicholas Woodruff

Cynical Cynic
Jan 2, 2011
squid5580 said:
Nicholas Woodruff said:
Tim Latshaw said:
Sometimes you have to take a step back and ask: Why is this a story worthy of coverage from a news station? A game site, sure; but a broadcast affiliate in a major city? Really?
Yes, I believe this belongs on a major network. I mean, this helps point out that we as a medium are doing something about what happens, and that we do deal with the same issues and realities the rest of the world does, which seems like a lot of the time they just don't realize.
It was FOX news FFS. FOX NEWS!! Have we forgotten the "sexbox" scandal already? OMG there is an alien side boob in 1 rather tastefully done scene involving 2 consenting adults getting jiggy with it in a video game. Quick lets get a person who knows nothing about games and one deeply involved in the industry and bash the fuck out of gaming. Oh Jeff wants to defend it?? Sorry dude out of time. Afterall time spent playing video games is time you aren't letting them rape your brain.

Or maybe Fox is run by Sony fanboys? I mean you never hear them going after the PS3. Just one more reason the 360 is better. Bwahahahaha

Relax I am only kidding. Any real gamer knows the Wii is where it's at!!
Ugh... Fox. We need to slam that liberal network before we loose more face over ridiculous shit that no one that age they claim play should play it. Also, Arnold Schwarzenegger has lost all of my respect for him. Butt out, retardo speech.

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
So the kid did actually glitch or cheat his way to getting his gamerscore high?

If this really happened... then what's the problem?

Life_Is_A_Mess

Sep 10, 2009
First of all, c'mon MS, the kid is autistic don't make his life worse.
Second, why do people (and MS above all) need a stupid score to determine how good a player is?
Thirdly, games are supposed to be fun, not "MUST GET THAT ACHIEVEMENT OR I WILL KILL MYSELF" style.
MS has been really doing it wrong in the last years.

mrx19869

Jun 17, 2009
so wait why does it matter if he is autistic or not. Having learned about kids with autism in school many of them are able to play video-games like the rest of us. The news media would not care about this story if it was just some random ass kid like you and I.

mrx19869

Jun 17, 2009
D_987 said:
Tom Goldman said:
snip again
http://www.thinq.co.uk/2011/1/28/autistic-gamer-cheat-after-all/
http://www.reghardware.com/2011/01/28/autistic_boy_did_cheat_on_xbox/

The family of an 11-year old gamer suffering from autism who was labeled a cheat by Microsoft has been forced to admit that the company has a point - confessing that achievements earned on his account were illegitimate.
The account Zombie Kill67 transferred from the Xbox it is normally seen on, to an Xbox in another city. The account earned several achievements for Halo 3 that can only be done online and in succession. It was clear they were unlocked out of order and offline. Earning successive online achievements out of order and offline is an impossible feat, not due to skill, but due to the technology of the system. It can only be done by modifying the account and faking the achievements."

Zdenek now admits her son gave his Gamertag to an online pal so he could get "Recon Armour" in Halo 3. She says she even warned him about it at the time worried the other gamer may have been phishing for bank account details.
thank you for doing follow up. now this kid and his stupid mom can go away. Pretty typical for a parent to go and say " my son never did anything wrong, defense" this is the same problem teachers have with students and their parents in school.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
What has being an autist got to do with the story? I find it condescending that we can't expect an autist to handle a bump in the road like this. It was just a cheap way of putting an angle on a totally mundane story about a little boy being acused of cheating in a video game. (Oh no! Not the games console! His life is over!)

OldRat

Dec 9, 2009
Fraught said:
Rednog said:
[...]or raised some red flags by having his score jump high in a short period of time.
Well, he is autistic. >_>
Which, in and of itself, means nothing. It's a horribly stupid myth that every autistic is some sort of a supernatural master of math/logical problems/something something. Sometimes autism is linked to those things, but not nearly every case gives one a bittersweet case of Rainman blessing (actually there's no blessing there in any case, but you get what I mean). It just doesn't work like that.

Fraught

Aug 2, 2008
OldRat said:
Fraught said:
Rednog said:
[...]or raised some red flags by having his score jump high in a short period of time.
Well, he is autistic. >_>
Which, in and of itself, means nothing. It's a horribly stupid myth that every autistic is some sort of a supernatural master of math/logical problems/something something. Sometimes autism is linked to those things, but not nearly every case gives one a bittersweet case of Rainman blessing (actually there's no blessing there in any case, but you get what I mean). It just doesn't work like that.
Well, I was just joking. <_<

jmarquiso

Nov 21, 2009
Nicholas Woodruff said:
squid5580 said:
It was FOX news FFS. FOX NEWS!! Have we forgotten the "sexbox" scandal already? OMG there is an alien side boob in 1 rather tastefully done scene involving 2 consenting adults getting jiggy with it in a video game. Quick lets get a person who knows nothing about games and one deeply involved in the industry and bash the fuck out of gaming. Oh Jeff wants to defend it?? Sorry dude out of time. Afterall time spent playing video games is time you aren't letting them rape your brain.

Or maybe Fox is run by Sony fanboys? I mean you never hear them going after the PS3. Just one more reason the 360 is better. Bwahahahaha

Relax I am only kidding. Any real gamer knows the Wii is where it's at!!
Ugh... Fox. We need to slam that liberal network before we loose more face over ridiculous shit that no one that age they claim play should play it. Also, Arnold Schwarzenegger has lost all of my respect for him. Butt out, retardo speech.
Fox affiliates don't always follow the larger network - mainly because they deal with local news only. Which this is.

TyrunnAlberyn

Apr 1, 2010
ravensheart18 said:
That's brilliant, the mom knew he was cheating, and still went to the press to proclaim his innocence. He has some excuse...what's her excuse?
I'm going to say "I called it a while back before the additional info was in", but: bad parent. Lying for your child after he gets in trouble (and the sort of trouble he sollicited in this case) deprives him or her of a learning opportunity, and can and will lead to a fairly skewed moral outlook for the kid. And this is hardly different if the kid is autistic. Setting bad examples for the wrong reasons is still always bad and wrong.

Olrod

Feb 11, 2010
Lance Arrow said:
Olrod said:
So this kid actually cheated and didn't just use any kind of autistic savant super powers that made him a game-playing genius?
I know you're joking but

chill.
Wow, sorry man.

I really hadn't considered that somebody may have found that comment offensive.

My first thought on reading the topic title was that the kid was an autistic savant who legitimately earned a really high score in a short amount of time, and Microsoft jumped to the wrong conclusion.

I apologise for any offence. :)

Silva

Apr 13, 2009
D_987 said:
There're so many foolish and naive statements in this post I don't know where to begin...
How about the fact that, much like DRM, it's pretty damn impossible stop people hacking into your games;
That's just an excuse. It's not impossible, it just takes great resources and dedication from publishers and developers alike (there was a time long ago when we EXPECTED it from our games, and it's naive of you to presume that we don't have that support now for selfless reasons on the part of games companies). And in any case, it still doesn't matter since it's just a stupid simulation.

the fact the kid cheated and the rules must be upheld
This is also pretty naive. You don't know that the kid cheated. Microsoft says he cheated. You accept the words of a company man who's clearly there to calm the press down without questioning them then call me naive. I can't understate how amusing I find this.

Not to mention, like I said, "the rules" have no value if they ruin the fun of the game. That's why it's called a game. If you value the rules to the point that it ruins gameplay for everyone else, then I would not call you a contributor to the gaming community. I'd call you an elitist who forgot the point of what he was doing when he started gaming.

And like I said, a kid with autism could well suffer a breakdown because of such blanket and absolutist stances. It's naive to think that this won't cause Microsoft courts trouble some time down the line. And it's foolish to pretend that because Microsoft has the great resources to win most court cases, that they should never be challenged just because the case may end up a loss.

People shouldn't respect companies, companies should respect people. And I say that with full knowledge of the consequences, sir, so I suggest you take your presumptuous personal comments back.

and the fact that the reason people cheat to earn gamerscore is to earn respect in the first place; this is by far the best solution to stopping them doing so again in the future.
This point isn't even relevant to my stance at all. Whether it's to earn respect or not, cheating is going to happen and detecting it and punishing it on such a wide scale is both draconian and dangerous. To say that Microsoft should punish everyone equally on the basis of a programmed reading of what "cheating" is - that is truly naive. You think that code designed to detect anything external or added and label it "cheating" is right every time? You think "tampering" always aids one's score (it may not effect it for all you know)? You think that punishing everyone equally, regardless of temperament, won't cause issues? All of these ideas seem to ignore many harsh realities.

[That and you do realize nobody else on Xbox Live can see the cheater tag, right?]
That's not what the article seems to suggest at all. Can you even confirm this claim?

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
Silva said:
D_987 said:
There're so many foolish and naive statements in this post I don't know where to begin...
How about the fact that, much like DRM, it's pretty damn impossible stop people hacking into your games;
That's just an excuse. It's not impossible, it just takes great resources and dedication from publishers and developers alike (there was a time long ago when we EXPECTED it from our games, and it's naive of you to presume that we don't have that support now for selfless reasons on the part of games companies).
We had buggy and cheater-laden games in the '90s. It was harder to hear about some of the bugs, because you had to get the news from friends who'd played, or personal experience, or if you were really cutting-edge you could get them by dialling up a nearby BBS on your smokin' 28.8 kilobaud modem... but they were there. Give designers the credit they deserve; they didn't have today's automated test software and had to spot bugs manually... but then again, games back then often fit on a single 1.44MB floppy, instead of today's 4+GB DVDs.

And that's the problem today. Software today is thousands of times bigger than back then, and testing is vastly more difficult today than even that because the interactiveness and complexity is greater than it was then. (Hey, Extra Credits, here's a possible topic!) Throw in that the code is now expected to work on networked environments and defeat deliberate attempts to sabotage it, and I am amazed at how few total bug-fests like New Vegas make it to market.

the fact the kid cheated and the rules must be upheld
This is also pretty naive. You don't know that the kid cheated.
Keep reading the news; the child's parent has admitted that this is the case, and shown the media the evidence forwarded to her by Microsoft.

If you value the rules to the point that it ruins gameplay for everyone else, then I would not call you a contributor to the gaming community. I'd call you an elitist who forgot the point of what he was doing when he started gaming.
And what would you call someone who had someone else play the game for him? Because that's what was happening in this case.

-- Steve

Lance Arrow

Apr 7, 2010
Olrod said:
Lance Arrow said:
Olrod said:
So this kid actually cheated and didn't just use any kind of autistic savant super powers that made him a game-playing genius?
I know you're joking but

chill.
Wow, sorry man.

I really hadn't considered that somebody may have found that comment offensive.

My first thought on reading the topic title was that the kid was an autistic savant who legitimately earned a really high score in a short amount of time, and Microsoft jumped to the wrong conclusion.

I apologise for any offence. :)
Well, all I'm saying is that if you're gonna joke about something make sure you're at least well-informed about it, that goes double for something as touchy a subject as mental illnesses. I am infact hesitant to call it that because I'm afraid it might offend.

Plus, I'm autistic myself (with a side-order of ADD), and I suck at pretty much every videogame in my collection. Except for Guitar Hero.

But yeah, don't feel bad about making a simple joke, just make sure you know your way around whatever you're joking about. ;)

Do4600

Oct 16, 2007
I'm always happy when a metaphor for corporate oppressor-ship turns into a literal news story. "Yes, Microsoft is bullying an autistic child" But overall this is depressing, they turned one of the rare open outlets for this kid into yet another place where he couldn't succeed.

jayzz911

Nov 9, 2010
Do4600 said:
I'm always happy when a metaphor for corporate oppressor-ship turns into a literal news story. "Yes, Microsoft is bullying an autistic child" But overall this is depressing, they turned one of the rare open outlets for this kid into yet another place where he couldn't succeed.
You forgot the /drama
The people with autism that i know need alot of structure. Meaning that when you bend rules to satisfy it makes it a part of their structure that they will come to expect.This is just another case of bad parenting, a lying mom and someone that figured that she'd be in the right and unquestioned because her child has autism.