[UPDATE] Microsoft Devastates Autistic Child By Labeling Him a Cheater

Fishehh

May 2, 2009
Microsoft decided he cheated, then they punish him. They don't know that he is Autistic. They just go "Hm. This person has illegitimately unlocked these achievements We should punish him." They don't know he's Autistic, so get over it.

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
Now I only hope it was the kid cheating and not some guy using his account just to be a dick to him.

Or, worse yet, if the mom thought it would make him happy to have more.

Oh god that would be terrible.

Outcast107

Mar 20, 2009
D_987 said:
Owyn_Merrilin said:
I believe very strongly that gaming companies shouldn't be able to tell me what to do with hardware and software I've already paid for. This extends to cheating in single player games if I so desire, but that's a small aspect of a larger belief.
If you believe that then don't sign up for Xbox Live, you wave away that right by accepting the terms and conditions. It's really not that difficult to understand...
This..This right here is why he is getting the punishment. If you sign up on this and break that Terms and Condition then get caught, I say good. I hate cheater and hackers in games. So I'm glad they did something about this. I rather this stop earlier on in just SP(Was it just SP? Cause I haven't read anything else about what he played in) then let him go into MP and find ways to hack/glitch/cheat in a MP game. Like some people love to do in games.

Firetaffer

May 9, 2010
Outcast107 said:
D_987 said:
Owyn_Merrilin said:
I believe very strongly that gaming companies shouldn't be able to tell me what to do with hardware and software I've already paid for. This extends to cheating in single player games if I so desire, but that's a small aspect of a larger belief.
If you believe that then don't sign up for Xbox Live, you wave away that right by accepting the terms and conditions. It's really not that difficult to understand...
This..This right here is why he is getting the punishment. If you sign up on this and break that Terms and Condition then get caught, I say good. I hate cheater and hackers in games. So I'm glad they did something about this. I rather this stop earlier on in just SP(Was it just SP? Cause I haven't read anything else about what he played in) then let him go into MP and find ways to hack/glitch/cheat in a MP game. Like some people love to do in games.
This again, you can do whatever you want so long as it is allowed via the Terms and Conditions, and is within Copyright law.

Plurralbles

Jan 12, 2010
because it's necessary to go to the press for a digital code...

FUCK people.

Even with autism.

Especially their, "oh my child can't do anything wrong!" moms.

qeinar

Jul 14, 2009
Jegsimmons said:
now im not saying the kid himself cheated (i highly doubt he was) it could have been a misunderstanding, BUT it still is microsofts call on what happens to your account if you were suspected of foul play.

and on an odd note: does any get the feeling that this kid made news because he was autistic? (dont get me wrong, im not makeing fun of autism, far from it, one of my school mates is a high functioning autistic) but what about all the other people who lost their gamer score? are they not news worthy?
it is kinda obvious that the only reason this made news is because the kid was autistic, there are probably tons of kids cheating on games getting the cheater label that have not gotten on the news.

MoNKeyYy

Evidence or GTFO
Jun 29, 2010
It seems like I'm a bit late to this party but whatever.

Honestly I think that this is becoming a way bigger deal than it had to be. The kid either did something stupid and got his account hacked by some dick (He's eleven for god's sake, kids are stupid) or he actually cheated and got what he deserved. It happens to lots of people. Why this kid is any different is something I don't understand. So he's autistic, big deal. That doesn't mean that the penalty for cheating should be any less severe. If he were to cheat on a test in school he should still get a zero. I think that microsoft should stick to their guns on this one.

EDIT: Also did anyone notice that the top viewed stories are about Halo, Hot celebrities, a baseball player, some funny pictures about fixing things and a bunch of universtiy kids playing zombies? Hard hitting news, FOX. Bravo.

EDIT 2: That was also a surprisingly liberal bias for a FOX story...

Oilerfan92

Mar 5, 2010
Who cares if he boosted a number that means nothing to most people ? And why make it so embarrassing ?

Goddammit Microsoft.

Ariyura

Oct 18, 2008
Oilerfan92 said:
Who cares if he boosted a number that means nothing to most people ? And why make it so embarrassing ?

Goddammit Microsoft.
I think for Microsoft, it's less about boosting a number then changing their intellectual software. If achievements could be boosted without changing their software they wouldn't care nearly as much. They don't want people messing with their software.

Nicholas Woodruff

Cynical Cynic
Jan 2, 2011
Tim Latshaw said:
Sometimes you have to take a step back and ask: Why is this a story worthy of coverage from a news station? A game site, sure; but a broadcast affiliate in a major city? Really?
Yes, I believe this belongs on a major network. I mean, this helps point out that we as a medium are doing something about what happens, and that we do deal with the same issues and realities the rest of the world does, which seems like a lot of the time they just don't realize.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Nicholas Woodruff said:
Tim Latshaw said:
Sometimes you have to take a step back and ask: Why is this a story worthy of coverage from a news station? A game site, sure; but a broadcast affiliate in a major city? Really?
Yes, I believe this belongs on a major network. I mean, this helps point out that we as a medium are doing something about what happens, and that we do deal with the same issues and realities the rest of the world does, which seems like a lot of the time they just don't realize.
It was FOX news FFS. FOX NEWS!! Have we forgotten the "sexbox" scandal already? OMG there is an alien side boob in 1 rather tastefully done scene involving 2 consenting adults getting jiggy with it in a video game. Quick lets get a person who knows nothing about games and one deeply involved in the industry and bash the fuck out of gaming. Oh Jeff wants to defend it?? Sorry dude out of time. Afterall time spent playing video games is time you aren't letting them rape your brain.

Or maybe Fox is run by Sony fanboys? I mean you never hear them going after the PS3. Just one more reason the 360 is better. Bwahahahaha

Relax I am only kidding. Any real gamer knows the Wii is where it's at!!

EinTheCorgi

Jun 6, 2010
cheating to boost your gamerscore is bad and all but dosnt microsoft have bigger fish to fry?

Like oh i dont know all the COD hackers or about 80% of the people playing the 360 version of the orangebox and all the twats with modded 360s and controllers the list goes on and on...

Im just saying get rid of the hardcore hackers who are ruining the 360 "experience" and games before you punish people who are just trying to lvl up there E penis.

Sentox6

Jun 30, 2008
EinTheCorgi said:
cheating to boost your gamerscore is bad and all but dosnt microsoft have bigger fish to fry?

Like oh i dont know all the COD hackers or about 80% of the people playing the 360 version of the orangebox and all the twats with modded 360s and controllers the list goes on and on...

Im just saying get rid of the hardcore hackers who are ruining the 360 "experience" and games before you punish people who are just trying to lvl up there E penis.
Depending on the method used, it's probably quite easy to detect some gamerscore cheaters.

If they can be picked up with the minimum of effort, why not. It's like saying a police officer shouldn't stop to arrest someone they see committing a misdemeanour because there are worse criminals out there.