UPDATE: Microsoft Disallows Public Lesbians on Xbox Live

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Wouldukindly said:
Cliff_m85 said:
And marijuana is illegal and you can't drink until you're 21 and you can't get into R rated movies.....

See what I'm getting at?
The government bans fun?
Oliver Cromwell banned dancing, sports, theatre, alocohol, and christmas. THAT was hardcore in the day.

Ginja Ninja

Nov 16, 2008
Cheeze_Pavilion said:
Ginja Ninja said:
It's like saying "hey guyz im an emo dat cutz demselfs and things" This could be perfectly true but I could report it, and would do so, by stating that I know someone who commited suicide by cutting there wrists, and I find this offensive.

I am not a biggot or homophobic.
However, you are overly sensitive.

I mean, according to that standard, we shouldn't have knives to melee in games because it could offend you.
Indeed soft fluffy kittens for all.

Sorry I was actually suggesting I don't want to know what, who or where you are, only what games you like. Spork.

Lord_Ascendant

Jan 14, 2008
scotth266 said:
thegrandtaco said:
Lord_Ascendant said:
Doug said:
Lord_Ascendant said:
Oh dear, I will have to dispatch a reprimand on Microsoft's file. One more and I'll have to have the entire command structure wiped. This is what I get for being the overarching evil mastermind....have to control the littler evil masterminds
May I have a puppy? I skipped lunch.
No. NO PUPPY FOR YOU!!
Sir, I would like to return my puppy... it won't stop breathing fire.
Umm sorry, tis a side-effect of the breeding process. Would you like a Hydralisk instead?

Escapefromwhatever

Feb 21, 2009
SirSchmoopy said:
SuperMse said:
Also, how will saying "gay" turn Xbox Live or PSN into Red Light Districts? It can be used to describe many things, and even if used to describe the orientation, I doubt Xbox Live or PSN would become all about sex. Besides, she just said she was a lesbian in her "About Me" section, so its not like she was advertising it; she just thought that it was something about her important enough to put in her profile.
Not sure what my status has to do anything but the fact you reconized it's me and missed the humour and my post might mean you don't watch my show. When I say fag is a "perfectly acceptable" racial slur, I am meaning it as what everyone who uses it via internet gaming.

It means you are a newb.

When someone over an internet game calls you a "fag" they mean you are a "Newb". Someone camping behind a wall? That guys being a fag. Someone picks up all the extra health packs when your at 10% HP? Fag. Calm down, I nor the people using it like this really care about your sexuality, they are just saying it because they think you are lame. And you know what? In an Xbox live Profile, I don't need to know someones Sexual orientation because it doesn't matter to me and it shouldn't matter to anyone else. In fact, I bet if you find some guy/girl with a profile that says "I'm Straight" you can just go report it to xbox and have it removed too because it shouldn't be on a GAMING PROFILE.

The girl who posted this story is seeking attention. Thats why she put "Lesbian" in her profile. She wants people to see her and know that shes a lesbian and thats not acceptable behavior in a gaming community. Sexual orientation does not matter. If someone was harassing her for being a lesbian.. err wait how do they know shes a lesbian? Why didn't she just report them?

You kids play nice. You are missing the point. Microsoft isn't being biggots they are just being put into bad light by Ms Give-Me-Attention-Because-I-Am-Different.
I agree that Microsoft isn't being homophobic (it was an impersonal banning most likely based on user reviews, meaning it had nothing to do with her being a lesbian), I admit your post made me chuckle a little (not wavy line part was funny), and I know what fag means on the internet.

I was just pointing out a few things that were either mistakes or that I disagree with. Fag, even the way it is used on the internet, is not a RACIAL slur- it is a sexual slur when used against gay people, and an insult derived from a sexual slur when used against anybody else. And your "Red light district comment," while a little funny, somewhat missed the point in my opinion. Its stupid to ban gay or lesbian from being said over Xbox Live or PSN. Even if it has nothing to do with gaming, it still is relevent to some conversations, like "Boy am I feeling gay today!" It might not be about gaming, but its not like people only talk about gaming when they play games with each other. It's off topic, but that's why off topic forums exist. A user profile is supposed to be about her, not gaming, and banning her account for it would have been a little extreme (even though they banned her on user reviews without knowing anything about her being a lesbian, but if that were actually the reason they did it, I would have been saddened).

I just brought up your identity because it surprised me that you actually post on these forums (Yahtzee doesn't, its nice to see that you do), but a little suspicious if maybe somebody was pretending to be you. Overall, I agree with you on Microsoft not being a bigot, and wasn't offended by what you said, but felt as if I should respond honestly to your post.

After all, a forum is a free exchange of ideas. I will continue to enjoy Unforgotten Realms, as I have been doing since I found the classic series on Newgrounds, and hope I didn't earn much of your ire.

Also, when is the new Time Gnomes coming out? =P

Ginja Ninja

Nov 16, 2008
Wouldukindly said:
Doug said:
Wouldukindly said:
Cliff_m85 said:
And marijuana is illegal and you can't drink until you're 21 and you can't get into R rated movies.....

See what I'm getting at?
The government bans fun?
Oliver Cromwell banned dancing, sports, theatre, alocohol, and christmas. THAT was hardcore in the day.
No wonder they brought the monarchy back.
CROMWELL IS AN OFFENSIVE WORD. HE KILLED 2/3 OF THE IRISH POPULATION. YOU WILL BE REPORTED FOR USING SUCH AN OBTUSE (spell check) SWEAR WORD. =P

In my contry you can drink as soon as your born, your not allowed to BUY alcohol until 18 though.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Ginja Ninja said:
Wouldukindly said:
Doug said:
Wouldukindly said:
Cliff_m85 said:

See what I'm getting at?
The government bans fun?
CROMWELL IS AN OFFENSIVE WORD. HE KILLED 2/3 OF THE IRISH POPULATION. YOU WILL BE REPORTED FOR USING SUCH AN OBTUSE (spell check) SWEAR WORD. =P
Oh yeah, he was a war criminal too. Or at least, we'd think so today. That sort of thing was common back then. Although I don't think it was "2/3" of the population, which would make him more lethal than the black death.

Lord_Ascendant said:
scotth266 said:
thegrandtaco said:
Lord_Ascendant said:
Doug said:
Lord_Ascendant said:
Oh dear, I will have to dispatch a reprimand on Microsoft's file. One more and I'll have to have the entire command structure wiped. This is what I get for being the overarching evil mastermind....have to control the littler evil masterminds
May I have a puppy? I skipped lunch.
No. NO PUPPY FOR YOU!!
Sir, I would like to return my puppy... it won't stop breathing fire.
Umm sorry, tis a side-effect of the breeding process. Would you like a Hydralisk instead?
Hydralisks are fun for the whole family! Like a Dingo!

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Spudgun Man said:
how bloody rediculous only big corparations like Michrosoft could get away with this.
Yup, because they can outlast you in court because they can afford the HUGE lawyer bills.

Ginja Ninja

Nov 16, 2008
Doug said:
Ginja Ninja said:
Wouldukindly said:
Doug said:
Wouldukindly said:
Cliff_m85 said:

See what I'm getting at?
The government bans fun?

In my contry you can drink as soon as your born, your not allowed to BUY alcohol until 18 though.
Oh yeah, he was a war criminal too. Or at least, we'd think so today. That sort of thing was common back then. Although I don't think it was "2/3" of the population, which would make him more lethal than the black death.
He was therefore swear word

Vlane

Sep 14, 2008
Cliff_m85 said:
Vlane said:
Cliff_m85 said:
Fronken said:
scotth266 said:
Fronken said:
"They followed me into the games and told all the other players to turn me in because they didn't want to see that crap or their kids to see that crap"

KIDS SHOULDN'T BE PLAYING THE GAMES IN THE FIRST PLACE!

God damnit, there are truely some retarded idiots out there...

Microsoft, wtf is your problem?, seriously?, What difference does one's sexual preference do in gaming!?
Ok, what? Kids shouldn't play videogames?
*Hits you in head*
Halo 3 - Rated M for Mature (17+): Blood and Gore, Mild Language, Violence. (Taken from www.halo3.com)

Would you mind explaining where it says that kids should be playing that game?, seeing as you quite clearly think they should...

Some kids are more mature than others. I was playing Leisure Suit Larry when I was 6 and it didn't boobies effect me in any boobie way. I've played with a few kids that boobies were respectful and intelligent on Xboobie Live. Different people = different levels of maturity.

Boobies.
It doesn't matter if some kids are and so on. They aren't allowed to play a game that is rated M.

See what I'm getting at?
No. All those things are not allowed until you have the right age (except the marijuana part of course). Just because kids watch those movies doesn't mean that they are allowed to. If they watch an M rated movie their parents failed.

Peppermint Girl

Dec 23, 2008
Pirce said:
Wouldukindly said:
Aries_Split said:
Because then you're just running from the problem. Sexual Orientation should not be the segregating factor here, it should just be another detail.
That's true, and I can't disagree with that, but the fact is that would only be possible in a perfect world. Sometimes you have to be a little realistic about racism and segregation, i.e. I don't go to certain Middle Eastern-based restaurants because they will refuse to serve me until everyone from the Middle East is served first. I guess I'm saying it's much easier to just avoid the problem then provoke it. I'm not saying it's right, it's fairly upsetting in fact, but sometimes you just have to deal with it.
Who cares about easier? You find a bear like that, you freaking shout and poke it so that the entire world knows about that bear. Apathy is what allows crap like this to thrive.
It's a behavior thing with segregation. They're never going to learn that it's not okay to discriminate and segregate if you don't tell them. So keep going to that restaurant. Let her play. It's not every going to magically get solved if you don't do something! In the short term, ignoring the problem makes it seem gone, but if you ignore it, it's going to snowball and smack you back!

CyberKnight

Jan 29, 2009
Oh good, it'll be all ok soon. Looks like we'll have a sexual preference setting [http://kotaku.com/5160677/microsoft-looking-to-change-xbox-live-sexual-discrimination] in our profile. A nice, safe place where we can select whether we prefer the bedtime company of men or women.

Not sure what this has to do with online gaming, but I guess if it's such a desired feature that people feel they must broadcast their sexual preference, no matter what the CoC says, they'll be free to do so.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
New Microsoft XBox Alive EULA:

"The customer must use only Newspeak (see George Orwell's 1984) to communicate. Failure to do so is doubleplus ungood crimethink, and will result in miniluv thinkpol unpersoning of you."

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
Wow... I'm uh... I'm speechless. You know, I was honestly considering getting an Xbox LIVE Gold account, but I can honestly say I refuse to give them any of my money. And not because they don't want her to have that in her profile. It's their right to say that she can't put it there. But NOWHERE in the EULA (which I read thoroughly) does it say anything about this. No, I'm refusing because they do nothing about the people that are violently anti-homosexual, and they didn't even give her any sort of warning or a chance to change it. They just instantly banned her.