UPDATE: Microsoft Disallows Public Lesbians on Xbox Live

Seydaman

Nov 21, 2008
C Lion said:
Wouldukindly said:
This is mildly upsetting...but I have to ask...why can't we just keep our sexual orientation to ourselves in online games?
They do. It was on their profile(or in mister Gaywood's case, in his surname) and people decided to hound them for it.
scotth266 said:
On the flip side, I don't think you should post stuff like that on your profile, cause kids could see it.
And? It's not like they're describing sexual acts.
how is saying your a lesbian hurting kids??? my sister is a lesbian, if that matters

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Mental Mage said:
See one thing people on the internet seem to forget is that when you sign up for any internet service. XBL, Steam, WoW, even something as menial as Runescape, you are adhering to THEIR rules, and their interpretations of those rules. No matter how much you whine, or complain or think it's not fair/right/politically correct, as Sony put it: Live in your world, play in ours. It's another world, it's not the same as everyday America/Canada. Technically Microsoft is entirely in the right in this situation, XBL, if they had it their way, is a place for a target audience of 14-20 to screw around and play games that you pay them for. Not a place to even hint at sexual preference, religious orientation, or even if your male or female. They put the about you part in merely to please their audience by making them feel it was a more social outlet.

Having said all of this, I do agree that the user being banned is ridiculous... but at the same time, they have the right, the means, and you agreed to be their ***** when you hit OK on ToS.
Technically true, BUT there are limits, AND as far as I'm aware, no EULA has even been tested in a court of law. For starters, you buy the product without being able to read the EULA. Add to that anti-piracy measures and shop policies render it impossible to return games or consoles once the box is open and you have to wonder if they are legal agreements or merely little prays to the god of laws to trick customers into not complaining.

Anyway, EULA issues aside, the EULA itself and the monitoring system have to work within the law of whichever country it's operating in. IF a court finds that they go against the various non-descrimation acts, they could be in for a world of hurt.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
I seem to have been misunderstood, the point I was trying to make is not that lesbians hurt kids. It was that kids play a lot of videogames, and if your average Joe parent sees that on a profile, they're gonna wig out about it and complain.
Besides, as I said, if you want to put up your orientation, do so in an appropriate place like MySpace or whatever.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Wouldukindly said:
This is mildly upsetting...but I have to ask...why can't we just keep our sexual orientation to ourselves in online games?
H.R.Shovenstuff said:
Why should we have to?
You know, I agreed with "WouldUKindly" until I read that second one and realised thats true! The fuckwits who e-stalked her and got her banned didn't keep there homophobia private, why should she keep her lesbianism to herself then.

Mental Mage

Feb 26, 2009
C Lion said:
Wouldukindly said:
They do. It was on their profile(or in mister Gaywood's case, in his surname) and people decided to hound them for it.
scotth266 said:
On the flip side, I don't think you should post stuff like that on your profile, cause kids could see it.
Just because their are the dumb kids that think discussing sex, or calling people names that depict lewd sexual acts does NOT mean you can wink at it and let it slide, there are indeed kids on the internet that arn't assholes, pricks, or even immature. They have the same right to simply enjoy the games as anyone else. Imho this could have been avoided by playing by MS rules.

"Don't create a gamertag or motto that other users may be offended by, this includes COMMENTS that look, sound like, stand for, hint at, abbreviate, or insinuate any of the following: profane words/phrases, topics or CONTENT OF A SEXUAL NATURE, hate speech (including but not limited to racial, ethnic, or religious slurs), illegal drugs/controlled substances, or illegal activities."
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/legal/codeofconduct.htm

Plainly spelled out by the CoC. No where in there did they even pretend to give someone that freedom.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
mspencer82 said:
H.R.Shovenstuff said:
Wouldukindly said:
Why should we have to?
Why would it even come up in a game?

"Alright, CTF on Sandtrap with no time limit. By the way guys, I'm straight."
Normally it goes, "Fag! Newb!", etc, and I normally reply "Actually I'm straight, but tell me, are you projecting? Its ok, we're all friends here, you don't have to be defensive anymore"

Mental Mage

Feb 26, 2009
Doug said:
Technically true, BUT there are limits, AND as far as I'm aware, no EULA has even been tested in a court of law. For starters, you buy the product without being able to read the EULA. Add to that anti-piracy measures and shop policies render it impossible to return games or consoles once the box is open and you have to wonder if they are legal agreements or merely little prays to the god of laws to trick customers into not complaining.

Anyway, EULA issues aside, the EULA itself and the monitoring system have to work within the law of whichever country it's operating in. IF a court finds that they go against the various non-descrimation acts, they could be in for a world of hurt.
But we are not talking United States legal action. We are talking Microsoft's protected "legal" action by them banning her. That is the controversy here right? According to any "free world" court system if you enter into a legally binding contract then that company is protected under their contract you and you have to follow their rules. As long as it doesn't break any international laws then it's allowed. Before you pull the "freedom of speech" card, allow me to point out that the internet and content therein including XBL is not america and does not a have constitutional rights beyond the EULA.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
H.R.Shovenstuff said:
Wouldukindly said:
Why should we have to?
"Joey, do you like movies about gladiators?" [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080339/quotes]

-- Steve

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Mental Mage said:
Doug said:

But we are not talking United States legal action. We are talking Microsoft's protected "legal" action by them banning her. That is the controversy here right? According to any "free world" court system if you enter into a legally binding contract then that company is protected under their contract you and you have to follow their rules. As long as it doesn't break any international laws then it's allowed. Before you pull the "freedom of speech" card, allow me to point out that the internet and content therein including XBL is not america and does not a have constitutional rights beyond the EULA.
Normally, you get to review a contact before purchase. In this case, you have to purchase and then agree to use it.

UK customer protection law would probably view that as unfair and illegal, but I'm not certain what law that would come under.

As for "But its the online service, its optional", its advertised as a feature of the product, so has to count.

yzzlthtz

May 1, 2008
seydaman said:
C Lion said:
Wouldukindly said:
scotth266 said:
how is saying your a lesbian hurting kids??? my sister is a lesbian, if that matters
I think most parents' fear is that their children will wind up being homosexual if they are exposed to it. Ironically, I'm pretty sure that feeling comfortable and free to express and explore your sexuality (taking leads from people who do) prevents repressed thoughts and feelings which lead to not only much stranger sexual tendencies than basic homosexuality, but anxiety, depression, and sexual violence.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Doug said:
mspencer82 said:
H.R.Shovenstuff said:
Wouldukindly said:
Why should we have to?
Why would it even come up in a game?

"Alright, CTF on Sandtrap with no time limit. By the way guys, I'm straight."
Normally it goes, "Fag! Newb!", etc, and I normally reply "Actually I'm straight, but tell me, are you projecting? Its ok, we're all friends here, you don't have to be defensive anymore"
Yeah, that's just Sandtrap though. On other maps, it's a whole nother' ballgame.

Lord_Ascendant

Jan 14, 2008
Oh dear, I will have to dispatch a reprimand on Microsoft's file. One more and I'll have to have the entire command structure wiped. This is what I get for being the overarching evil mastermind....have to control the littler evil masterminds

Fronken

May 10, 2008
"They followed me into the games and told all the other players to turn me in because they didn't want to see that crap or their kids to see that crap"

KIDS SHOULDN'T BE PLAYING THE GAMES IN THE FIRST PLACE!

God damnit, there are truely some retarded idiots out there...

Microsoft, wtf is your problem?, seriously?, What difference does one's sexual preference do in gaming!?

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Lord_Ascendant said:
Oh dear, I will have to dispatch a reprimand on Microsoft's file. One more and I'll have to have the entire command structure wiped. This is what I get for being the overarching evil mastermind....have to control the littler evil masterminds
May I have a puppy? I skipped lunch.