Update: Open Source Android Console Fully Funded with $1 Million

tautologico

e^(i * pi) + 1 = 0
Apr 5, 2010
cardinalwiggles said:
i may be a little bit slow here, and i might not of read all of the comments so excuse if this has been addressed, but where does the money come from? i don't understand how this monetizes people's games or maybe i'm being cynical :p other than of course the initial 99 dollar cost? advertisements?
It's answered just a few posts above: games must have some free way for the user to at least try it, that is, there should be at least a demo. Games can be sold or can be free to play, but if sold they must have a demo.

rbstewart7263

Nov 2, 2010
Yes there are alot of games that are free with the inclusion of ads or otherwise. mandatory freeness in its smallest form ie a demo would increase the standard by which you make a game. You couldnt squeak by on the "its only a dollar" mindset and make the most barebones thing that you can invision.

Not as often anyway.

lostlevel

Nov 6, 2008
I might try this, although it is suspiciously cheap. I suppose the price makes sense as unlike a smart phone your not paying for mini versions of existing processors and circuits I guess.

Something like this is perhaps what gaming needs. I hope it's genuine unlike things like kony 2012... as I want this and about $99 or so as I'm in the UK it isn't a major spend given how much games like COD cost at launch nowadays.

jthm

Jun 28, 2008
For a $100? Sure. Even if it's a flop, it won't be the first $100 I pissed away on "sounded like a good idea at the time" and at least I'll have something that might get some use after the initial purchase.

cardinalwiggles

is the king of kong
Jun 21, 2009
tautologico said:
cardinalwiggles said:
i may be a little bit slow here, and i might not of read all of the comments so excuse if this has been addressed, but where does the money come from? i don't understand how this monetizes people's games or maybe i'm being cynical :p other than of course the initial 99 dollar cost? advertisements?
It's answered just a few posts above: games must have some free way for the user to at least try it, that is, there should be at least a demo. Games can be sold or can be free to play, but if sold they must have a demo.

ahhhh many thanks sorry i didn't see it, so it works in a lot of ways like some kind of App store or Google android store? free demo's as well as paid components inside the game like Free To Play games? very interesting, if this works i'd totally pick one up

DiamanteGeeza

Jun 25, 2010
Nalgas D. Lemur said:
DiamanteGeeza said:
Oh, and an evil part of me hopes that the debugging tools are utter crap. Nothing turns you into a better programmer than having to debug your black-screen-of-death by only being able to change the border color.

LOL... ah yes... those were the days! Separated the men from the boys when it came to debugging. LOL.
Heh. You don't have to tell me about it. I remember writing Z80 assembly and just kind of having to hope it would work or guess what was wrong when it didn't.

And, of course, my favorite: "hang on... if I add a NOP, it doesn't crash any more?"

LOL.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
rhizhim said:

well if it sucks, at least we might end up hacking it into a decent pc.
For one completely random moment as I was scrolling down, I thought that was a still from Red Dwarf... Not quite :)

Still, $99? So, possibly only just shy of £65 for a console? That seems insanely cheap, but at that price, there really couldn't be much harm in trying it out.

Captcha: flat foot

Ahah!...Well actually, I can't think of any way to link that one to the current topic.

dreadedcandiru99

Apr 13, 2009
This sounds pretty promising. I'm tempted to get behind it, but there are a couple of things I'm not clear on.

First, can the games actually be downloaded, or do we have to stream them a la OnLive? Because I'd rather pay for them and just have them.

Second, according to this article [http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/07/99-ouya-wants-to-bust-down-console-gamings-walled-gardens/], the console will "provide an 'extra layer of security' against piracy through online authentication." That sounds a lot like always-on DRM to me, and if that's what it is, with no offline mode? No deal.

DiamanteGeeza

Jun 25, 2010
One downside to having such a powerful (relatively speaking for an Android device) GPU is that I have a nasty suspicion that the vast majority of people will get hung up on f-ing rendering engines... AGAIN.

If this had a much simpler GPU - 3 or 4 screen overlays, and some hardware sprites (sort of SNES-like), it would force the budding would-be game programmers to actually focus on the gameplay, rather than spending months trying to implement some tedious lighting algorithm or particle effects. Force them to make something interesting without vast amounts of processing power and pretty graphical effects.

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
This gentlemen is going to be the first big league failure of the whole non sense kick start project. The concept in general sounds fine but the detail shows just how badly it will fail.

First a home console cannot survive on just being a one hit wonder, a system that only plays games and only plays Android games will fall over very quickly.

Second you go to the effort of hooking up a home console to your TV or various enterinment system you want to be playing games a tad more substantial than the majority non sense that appears on the Android market, oh yeah their is some quality games there but they are distraction titles, games designed to keep you entertained on the bus ride in to work and even those are a minority and of that minority even less of them are worthy of being played on a home TV system. I am not gonna hook up a console to my TV to dip in to a game for ten minutes.

Third it has to go up a huge market of tablets and smart phones that already do the job very well.

Fourth this is a combo issue. They say you can hack the console to make it do what you want to do, well nice in theory but if you want to create a gaming user base you need to have a system that has at least some commanility, gaming on Android is already a big enough pain in the arse with the variant of devices that run it combined with the number of versions of Android, do the people who play consoles want to be dealing with THAT kind of nonsense? Not really

They then state that the game itself has to have some element of free play, now that's a big issue. A console game needs to have a degree of substance to it, like I said I am gonna go to the trouble of hooking up a console to my TV I want to be playing a game for a few hours at a time not a game that was designed to distract me for 15 minutes or so. To create games that do this you need money, you need a development team behind you and to do that you need to have a ready source of cash and if that cash return is to come from the game you are developing then having, BEING FORCED, to release free parts of the game for the console that claims to allow you to do whatever you want with it? Well that's a great way to alienate a potential developer base, especially when they could just go away and develop the same game for any one of the countless smart phones or tablets and NOT have to release ANY free content.

Fifth a console, in fact any modern piece of tech requires support, doesn;t matter what the intentions are but in the long run it needs someone to manage the SDKs, manage the content delivery, manage the update distributions, manage warranty and returns and that's just the stuff that I can think of off hand. You seriously think that someone using kickstarter has the backing to manage even a fraction of this?

The free source console model sounded crazy when it was being batted about as something Valve where going to do, but at least Valve have the cash, resource and infrastructure to have pulled it off. This is going to be a big league kickstart failure folk, just remember that I said it!

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
This seems like it will be useless in the end.
If it's going to cost 99$, even the iPad will be stronger than this. Someone could just create a app that will allow connection of a controller via Bluetooth and connect it to the TV. Most tablets are android anyways.

There, a better console.

Sorry, but this won't take ANY costumer from the current console developer. It will just be interesting until people realize that they can play the same games on their smartphone.

EDIT: Also, the idea of a completely open platform where everyone can do whatever he wants doesn't really seem like a good idea. With those conditions, there will be a shitload of really really really bad games and they will practically bury most gems.

Last time there was no real control over what comes on the platform, we got a crash and the Nintendo seal of quality.

And speaking as a developer (not a game developer), it's rather stupid to force "something" free. It just makes the job harder for no real reason. I would rather develop for a smartphone than for a console that forces my to give some of my work for free.

EDIT2:
And one of the things that bug me about kickstart.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1820893788/katalyka/posts/239764

It's a nice idea, but the whole system is just to easy to abuse.