Update: Pokemon X and Y Starters' Final Evolutions Revealed

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
Not a fan of Fennekin's final form (despite him being my favorite of the initial forms of the trio), but Chespin's final form? Holy crap, I love that thing. And that name, Chesnaught. Ha. Love it. Froakie's line looks alright, too.

My only complaint? Now that I'm DEFINITELY using Chespin as my starter, I'm forced to realize that I can't use that cool fighting panda Pokemon anymore, lest I have two fighting types on my team. *sigh*

...meh, screw it, maybe I'll just have two fighting types on my team.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Leemaster777 said:
Not a fan of Fennekin's final form (despite him being my favorite of the initial forms of the trio), but Chespin's final form? Holy crap, I love that thing. And that name, Chesnaught. Ha. Love it. Froakie's line looks alright, too.

My only complaint? Now that I'm DEFINITELY using Chespin as my starter, I'm forced to realize that I can't use that cool fighting panda Pokemon anymore, lest I have two fighting types on my team. *sigh*

Remember that Pangoro is also part dark, so you could just use him for something like that.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
SerithVC said:
Sorry to say but these seem fake to me since none of the sites that cover the pokemon stuff that is legit have these on them and none of them follow the naming conventions of pokemon. That and all the supposed leaks are blurry and seem to primarily come from 4chan. Also keep in mind that the 'greninja' has been appearing online for almost a week or more now.
coolbond said:
am i the only one to realise this are false pictures? first of all the quality is too low than standard plus no one else have reported on this
Picture quality aside, there is overwhelming evidence at this point from the multitude of different photos floating around the net that all three of these starters are real. If anything, the following clears up the status of Greninja nicely:

http://instagram.com/p/fBCV5mqYZ7/

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
Terminate421 said:
Leemaster777 said:

Remember that Pangoro is also part dark, so you could just use him for something like that.
I had forgotten that. I'll have to revisit the type chart, and refresh myself on the respective strengths/weaknesses of Grass/Fighting and Dark/Fighting. If there's enough differences, then I think I can justify it to myself to get both.

...oh wait, crap, I just remembered that I wanted to add Torchic to my team, too. TOO MANY AWESOME FIGHTING TYPES TO CHOOSE FROM AAARRRGGHHH!

Incidentally, I just thought of something. For the first time, ever, it is now possible to make a team entirely out of starters from different gens.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
The_Echo said:
I really like them.

I'm so glad Chesnaught looks cool. When Quilladin was revealed, I thought it was going to be another Tepig (solid first form, shit evolutions).
Dragonbums said:
On that note...I think I may get Chespin now....Fennekin had the potential to be so cool, and now it's just a anthropomorphic mage.
I mean.

Looking at Braixen, you should have seen that coming. It was either a mage or Renamon, really.
There are many ways you can go about designing a fox magician/mage/etc.

Most people already figured out the overall theme on tumblr.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Is it just me or does Chespin look more evolved than Quilladin? If I had to guess I'd put them in reverse order.

lumenadducere

May 19, 2008
soren7550 said:
lumenadducere said:
Here's hoping that the next generation will actually change the starter types entirely and go with those instead of fire/water/grass.
That's never gonna happen, since Dark is immune to Psychic. Also, Grass/Fire/Water is easy for everyone to grasp right away.
But the trinity is still maintained, no? Fighting beats dark, dark beats psychic, psychic beats fighting. The net effect remains the same, even with the immunity. It's not like you'd use fire against water, so it's not so important that psychic has no effect on dark because people would just switch out pokemon like they do now.

I know it's highly unlikely, but it's something I'd like to see happen. As with all things, YMMV.

Ken_J

Jun 4, 2009
You know what? I like them. I liked every evolution of them. I think they look good and I think they fit well with their themes. I will be perfectly happy if these are their final evolutions and they don't get mega evolutions. I am perfectly happy with them.

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
I was soo psyched for Fennekin, I was dead set on it, then I saw the second form, I assumed it was a witch and well, I was okay with it, if the third form was epic.

... No, no it wasn't.

Froakie is what I'm going for, as Greninja is awesome.

Am I the only one who doesn't see the third states as ... well, right? Delphox looks barely like what Fennekin was going from, Greninja's the closest to the original, but even he had some traits removed, like that white puffy stuff.

And Chesnaught is like a armour-spike-turtle, from a ball, that used to be a ... chipmunk?

Snowbell

Apr 13, 2012
Please, PLEASE tell me these are fake

Except for Froakie's, that one's cool, but why would they increase the number of bubbles only to take them away entirely in the last evolution? And where did Fenniken's second evo's stick go?

Kaimax

Jul 25, 2012
Nintendo Ninjas are real.
http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/17807/article/nintendo-quickly-strikes-down-pokemon-x-and-y-leaks/

And honestly, why would this article is made when there's no official announcement. As I remember in an earlier article about the Fossil Pokemon. They were late because they were waiting for it to appear at the official website first, So, what's with the contradiction?

SerithVC

Dec 23, 2011
JoJo said:
SerithVC said:
Sorry to say but these seem fake to me since none of the sites that cover the pokemon stuff that is legit have these on them and none of them follow the naming conventions of pokemon. That and all the supposed leaks are blurry and seem to primarily come from 4chan. Also keep in mind that the 'greninja' has been appearing online for almost a week or more now.
coolbond said:
am i the only one to realise this are false pictures? first of all the quality is too low than standard plus no one else have reported on this
Picture quality aside, there is overwhelming evidence at this point from the multitude of different photos floating around the net that all three of these starters are real. If anything, the following clears up the status of Greninja nicely:

OBJECTION! That image is very unconvincing. the screen is blurry and the 'pokemon' seems to have 3 spot lights behind it. there are also the strange lines on the 3DS itself which don't make sense to be there, more so since they don't appear on the right (as in left and right) side. Also note that the lines that one would expect to show up from taking a picture of a screen are inconsistent with the angle of the 3DS as they would always appear horizontal where they are clearly diagonal in this photo. This 'evidence' you speak of more clearly points to this being fake than it would to this being real. And as a final note, if this was real there would be color distortion and more than likely have clearly visible pixels.

JoJo

Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
SerithVC said:
JoJo said:
SerithVC said:
coolbond said:

OBJECTION! That image is very unconvincing. the screen is blurry and the 'pokemon' seems to have 3 spot lights behind it. there are also the strange lines on the 3DS itself which don't make sense to be there, more so since they don't appear on the right (as in left and right) side. Also note that the lines that one would expect to show up from taking a picture of a screen are inconsistent with the angle of the 3DS as they would always appear horizontal where they are clearly diagonal in this photo. This 'evidence' you speak of more clearly points to this being fake than it would to this being real. And as a final note, if this was real there would be color distortion and more than likely have clearly visible pixels.
Not sure if serious, but a few more leaked photos for the Escapist's viewing pleasure:

If it is a fake, then that artist has sure been working hard making all those fake screenshots and posting them on different blogs and sites under different names with many more fake (or real?) screenshots of other pokemon ;-)

AuronFtw

Nov 29, 2010
RJ Dalton said:
You guys do realize you can STOP the evolution right? If I remember right, that actually means they learn techniques sooner, unless that's changed since the original game.
Unevolved pokemon have vastly inferior stats. Like, orders of magnitude lower. There's pretty much no reason to ever stop a natural evolution, unless you want to suffer with a weaker pokemon for 5 or 10 levels until you get a single ability (most of which are typically easily obtained via now-reusable TMs, especially flamethrower/ice beam/tbolt/etc).

An occasional gimmick build exists using a weird item/move combination that requires an unevolved pokemon, but on the whole, they're always going to be better evolved.

SerithVC

Dec 23, 2011
JoJo said:
SerithVC said:
JoJo said:
SerithVC said:
coolbond said:

Not sure if serious, but a few more leaked photos for the Escapist's viewing pleasure:

If it is a fake, then that artist has sure been working hard making all those fake screenshots and posting them on different blogs and sites under different names with many more fake (or real?) screenshots of other pokemon ;-)
the first image would appear to look real but the distortion looks wrong. the second image seems to have an inconsistancy with the tongue/scarf based on the way it is drawn. the third image is from before the 'advanced copies' were reportedly released. the fourth image seems to be the exact same image as is in the other picture which wouldn't be plausible given the appearance of the text and disappearance of the 'spot lights'. ant the fifth and final image seems to have ann overlay as the tongue/scarf appears to be in two places at once.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Steven Bogos said:
LOOK AT THIS AMAZING FANART! Then look at the official evolutions. Then look back at this fanart and cry yourself to sleep over what could have been...
...That makes me feel even worse now about how Fennekin turned out! D:
Why, why couldn't those be their final forms! >.<

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
Froakie it is, I suppose.

Boy, Fennekin's final evolution is really disappointing.

But I also get to have Charmander...

Miss G.

Jun 18, 2013
Delphox and Greninja FTW! That could just be my love of spell casters/rogue classes showing, 'cuz those are the only classes I ever pick in those types of games, thank you Kingdom of Amalur for the chance to mix them nicely. I still wish Delphox's design looked a little bit more like a witch, but a wizard is fine too. Now I can pick Fennekin on X and Froakie on Y.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
AuronFtw said:
RJ Dalton said:
You guys do realize you can STOP the evolution right? If I remember right, that actually means they learn techniques sooner, unless that's changed since the original game.
Unevolved pokemon have vastly inferior stats. Like, orders of magnitude lower. There's pretty much no reason to ever stop a natural evolution, unless you want to suffer with a weaker pokemon for 5 or 10 levels until you get a single ability (most of which are typically easily obtained via now-reusable TMs, especially flamethrower/ice beam/tbolt/etc).

An occasional gimmick build exists using a weird item/move combination that requires an unevolved pokemon, but on the whole, they're always going to be better evolved.
Huh. Shows what I know, don't it?

JoJo

Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
SerithVC said:
JoJo said:
SerithVC said:
JoJo said:
SerithVC said:
coolbond said:

the first image would appear to look real but the distortion looks wrong. the second image seems to have an inconsistancy with the tongue/scarf based on the way it is drawn. the third image is from before the 'advanced copies' were reportedly released. the fourth image seems to be the exact same image as is in the other picture which wouldn't be plausible given the appearance of the text and disappearance of the 'spot lights'. ant the fifth and final image seems to have ann overlay as the tongue/scarf appears to be in two places at once.
Maybe just a touch of denial here, since the problems you listed are very minor compared to the logistics of what you're suggesting: that at-least four or five leakers have deliberately withheld the real water starter and for some unknown motivation are instead replacing it with a consistently drawn fake (but at a different angle that would require redrawing each time) in every photo but whatever, no skin off my nose. We'll know in just over a week's time who's right and I'll quote you again when official confirmation comes out =D