UPDATE: PS3 Hacker GeoHot Claims He's on Vacation

Ca3zar416

Sep 8, 2010
While I agree with the terms of the EULA and all for the PS3 is a load of bollocks he did not make a good move here. He may be in the right but he made us all look bad.

Justin Duralis

Mar 23, 2011
Well, given that it's just Sony's word to go by...I know better than to take it at face value. Little of what Geo has done changes Sony's position. In any case, I'm already done with their products. I prefer to own what I buy and do as I please with my purchase.

As for piracy...Not only do I know better about the facts behind it, I also see how this case will be a major blow to consumer rights while doing precious little to stem piracy. Even worse, it may spur people to pirate out of principle, just to spite Sony. That being the case, go for it. I've little sympathy for Sony here.

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
This made me laugh, why exactly did people support this guy again?

What do they think happens if you hack their system and tell everybody online how to do it? He was all talk and I'm disgusted that he accepted peoples money for his "legal fees" when he probably had no intention of fighting the system in the first place.

Good job for standing up for what you believe in >_>

I would've actually been interested in how this turned out.

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
I still think sony is in the wrong here.

They themselves have done so much legally dubious shit in this case, I have far more trust in this hacker than them.

I am very worried that sony just won this case, and did so by manipulating the judge, and other unsound means.

Besides, we only have sony's word for it that he left.

For all we know, he could still be here, sony could have dumped him somewhere, or somethign else.

Macrobstar

Apr 28, 2010
I can't believe people are supporting him, he may have a right to do it but it ruins gaming for the rest of us, if everyone in the playground could just play nice we could all have a good time

FamoFunk

Dad, I'm in space.
Mar 10, 2010
Christ what as asshole.

I'd say I feel sorry for the poor sods who stupidly gave him money, but I really, really, don't.

Arehexes

Jun 27, 2008
I have no problem with doing with what we do with our systems, hell I have tampered systems (PSP is one and I even tooled with a TI calculator with a flashed rom). But it's hots attitude that bugs me, most if not all hardware says you are not supposed to tamper with it (Unless it's sold that way like a Google Dev Phone vs my Driod X and I'm really pissed about that still....). But it's how he presents himself, I honestly don't remember Dark_Alex(I hope that's his name I can't remember off the top of my head) being on the news as much as Geohot and he was the one famous for CFW on the psp. Hackers have been around but I rarely see a hacker presents himself like Geohot did.

funkzillabot

Dec 10, 2009
OMG! So after all that... he left for South America. Sony is 100% in the wrong, but that's not going to matter because his actions are going to add credibility to Sony's case. Making it worst for the rest of us. *Sigh* it would have been better if GeoHot not made such a fuss.

And what, does he really think he'll be able to come back to the United States in a couple years, like nothing has happened? Yeah, that's not how it works? He's got to be what.... about 20 years old and he will be living down there for 10+ years, at least. That's a long time to be away from every thing you've known and loved. Family, friends, graduation, a career, a girlfriend, a wife, a baby, a grand child. GeoHot just completely fucked up his life. No woman or company is going to touch him with a 10 foot pole.

Idiot.

ThisIsSnake

Mar 3, 2011
fedefrasis said:
erbkaiser said:
Good. Nail his ass... he's just a little black hat cracker. Hope his supporters will now see what an ffing douche he really is.

Hacking his own PS3 = fine (srew the DMCA)
Posting the root security keys publicly just to screw with Sony = crime.
Screwing with Sony = Making the world a better place
Sony And M$oft ceasing to exist = A world actually worth living in (Except for EA and Activision)
Yes because as gamers we should definitely support your clever idea of making 80% of our post year 2000 game libraries unplayable, allowing Apple to dominate the home PC market with hugely marked up closed machines that support very few games and leave Nintendo's sequel machine to be the only console out there.

You are a fool of the highest order.

Feb 9, 2011
Noooooow the picture of him in the article makes sense. He's implying, "I don't know what to do anymore guys*shrugs shoulders*...to South America I go!" He just sunk his whole case.

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
Since it was clear no matter if he was innocent he would be losing this case, this is rather clever of him.
In an arsehole kind of way. Unless it doesn't work, then he's in a deeper hole.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Baresark said:
Haha, this article is epic fail. All it says is that Sony filed a motion (meaning a petition requesting the court to do something), and they accused him of tampering with the hard drive. It doesn't even say the third party neutral corroborated what they are accusing him of. And then Sony says he has fled to South America.

The only thing that this article says that is anything at all is that he lied about having a PSN account. And then the evidence is really only circumstantial anyway. All they can do is trace a registered IP to his town? All that means is that he may have bought it for a friend who lives in the same town. I don't know if you people know this about Jew Jersey, but the entire state is considered a Metropolitan area, meaning densely populated and city like. The chances of him knowing someone in his town are pretty good.

I think that this is ultimately a funny article. No matter what, he has stronger moral authority in this case. That says a lot, and also shows why so many people supported him. I'm more disappointed that so many people jump ship at the idea that a shaky scared finger pointed at him. There is still no proof he even left the country. That is the word of Sony.

I love watching this stuff unfold. Also, if so many people are so disappointed by Sony, just don't buy anymore of their products. I know I'm not. Over the course of the last year, a bunch of companies have shown me that their products aren't worth the headache of dealing with them. This one is no different.
Yeah, most people won't let things like facts get in the way, I think they might want to play a game.

aSmo

Nov 6, 2007
Please keep in mind that his move to "South America" was a claim by Sony and has no clear substantiation in article. His motives are also unknown, but of course Sony lawyers are going to inject their bias into the allegation.