UPDATE: PS3 Hacker GeoHot Claims He's on Vacation

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
I'm pretty sure that pleading "Guilty" would've been faster, easier and less expensive.

But do this mean Sony's newest PSN game is going to be "Where in the World Is Geohots?"

Krion_Vark

Mar 25, 2010
TheSkaAssassin said:
I thought the Escapist would support the rights of gamers.
Yeah he fled, but that's not the point. Sony is still in the wrong.

"Sony has proof that Hotz created a PlayStation Network account and therefore agreed to the PSN User Agreement"
So what? The PSN UA is BS!
It also makes it ILLEGAL to hack the Playstation in any way.

Scanniza

Feb 18, 2011
Jesus fucking christ. The first time in ages when we actually have a legitimate case against one of these corporate giants that stomp on their costumers, and the retard tamper with evidence and flee the country.

So much for fighting for the public, douche-bag. If someone ever has the balls to mount a proper case this event is going to be seriously detrimental to any eventual success said case might have gotten, cause this guy basically gave Sony right without even fighting for it.

Rancid0ffspring

Aug 23, 2009
mjc0961 said:
albino boo said:
If they prove that he owns a PS3 he done for. If he owns one, then he has entered in a contract with Sony and breached it.
Uhm, no. That was never true. It was obvious that he owned a PS3. We all knew that; he couldn't crack one without owning one. But buying a PS3 doesn't mean you have entered into a contract with Sony. It's only signing up for the Playstation Network that does that.

And as Sony still hasn't sufficiently proven that he has done so (only that SOMEONE used one of his PS3s to create one; they have yet to provide proof who that SOMEONE is, so at this point it's only an assumption that it's his), he didn't do anything wrong on that front.
Come on dude, Do you really think that the Escapist has all the facts... that the article at the beginning of this thread has stated every single detail?

Fair enough, there does seem to be a degree of speculation as to the fellas whereabouts but for a law team to make these statements, they would require some kind of information to back it up.

As for GeoHotz having a PSN Account, you are not aware of what kind of information or evidence Sony can gather from a PSN Account. For example, when a moderator receives a complaint from Chump1 that Chump2 has sent a nasty message do you not think they'll not be able to see that chump1 sent a nasty message first.

They would have tools that would allow them to monitor the activity on individual PSN Accounts and would most likely have enough evidence to back up that it was him.

Finally, being a massive company with these well paid lawyers, they would know what extent they would be able to go to without breaching privacy laws.

These lawyers get paid ridiculous sums for a reason. GeoHotz never stood a chance IMO and he underestimated the resouces available to Sony on their own network!

KiruTheMant

Nov 2, 2009
TheSkaAssassin said:
I thought the Escapist would support the rights of gamers.
Yeah he fled, but that's not the point. Sony is still in the wrong.

"Sony has proof that Hotz created a PlayStation Network account and therefore agreed to the PSN User Agreement"
So what? The PSN UA is BS!
Most of us would agree were Sony suing him for legally Jailbreaking,but He made an Account after hacking, proving he didn't own any sort of account and was hacking illegally. Another thing,those lawyer funds of his went to pay for his South American trip.

Actual

Jun 24, 2008
I can't blame him. He was going to be crushed by Sony regardless of whether he'd done anything immoral or not. I still support the spirit of what he tried to do, but I guess society has just got to the point where one man cannot stand up to large corporate interests.

Shirokurou

Mar 8, 2010
It's a shame I can't put his voice into this.

But otherwise, you know what they say, running is proof that you're guilty.

WaderiAAA

Derp Master
Aug 11, 2009
This kinda gives me a feeling that someone will mae a Public Enemy style movie about GeoHot at some point.

Galliam

Dec 26, 2008
Andthere all his credibility went right out the window. I was kinda rooting for him.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Well it looks like there was more illegal stuff then just the root key on his hard drive then. If he's going to go through such measures I'm guessing what's on the thing would cause bigger and more easily proved legal consequences then the lawsuit. Oh well I suppose he can still hack crap from South America but he might have to change his screen name since his image is going to be galvanized. (Maybe he can also get a better picture where he doesn't look like a douche in South America too).

I kinda wonder what would happen if he stuck to his guns accepted the consequences of this lawsuit and whatever crap was on his hard drive and fought Sony. Ah well, probably won't happen now.

Undeadpool

Aug 17, 2009
Wait, you mean donating money to an amoral hacker could somehow result in him not using the money for what he says he's going to!??!?!

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
Nobody can defend him now. And anyone that does is a tool who should go back to the 90's for being a hipster who cries about corporations.