Update: Xbox One E3 Demos May Have Been On Windows 7

SpAc3man

Jul 26, 2009
This isn't news.

They won't be running demonstrations on the actual console hardware yet because it a long time until release. They are still working on testing and development. They would be stupid to demonstrate on unfinished and unstable tech.

Running Windows 7 is sensible as it is more established and therefore more stable. Again it would be stupid to run a demonstration at E3 on anything less than the most stable platform you have access to. The Xbone SDK would have been designed to run on Windows 7 as it was made and in use a long time before Windows 8 was released.

They aren't using PCs with the same hardware as the actual console as it would not be powerful enough to run as well as the consoles due to the amount of direct to metal programming relied on to gain efficiency.

rodneyy

humm odd
Sep 10, 2008
Senarrius said:
It's also running a water cooled Intel CPU from the looks of it, and other forums.
to be fair the water cooling might just be because of where they have to put it. a small enclosed cupbord with little to no ventilation if its got to run all day showing of the games then it would get preaty hot in there. fans might just not cut it. and these pics are embarrassing but if all of them had to be turned off opened up to cool down that would look way worse

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
Of for Christ sake. It's Monday morning, can't the universe just give Microsoft a break for a few days? What did Microsoft do to you to bring you such delight in tripping it over and kicking them in the balls?

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
luvd1 said:
Of for Christ sake. It's Monday morning, can't the universe just give Microsoft a break for a few days? What did Microsoft do to you to bring you such delight in tripping it over and kicking them in the balls?
Hey man, I can't make them stop screwing up. I just tell you when they do

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
luvd1 said:
Oh, nothing. They're just trying to take away consumer rights and your constitutional right to privacy. Not a big deal. We should give them a break and feel sorry for them.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Aren't most or all games being shown at E3 running on PC's?
I always thought that was standard practice as it would be easier to control what happens.

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
You know, i could have understood such a decision, the console is still a few months from release and knowing M$'s luck these days far from complete with bug after bug, but only if they used stuff close to the console specs.

Using a GTX GPU which is, apparently, more powerful than the AMD stuff they will be using is just stupid.

Also explains why, in the ToS (or EULA, i forgot) they stated that you can't file a class action lawsuit against Microsoft about the Xbone. There is probably a nice false advertising lawsuit in there, since the look off what is shown on the E3 floor and what the Xbone will actually show you graphic wise is probably way different.

Also, yay, 500 posts.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
luvd1 said:
Eeeerrr...

Windows 8, closing Ensemble Studios, Deal With It, anti-trust lawsuits, Always Online, GFWL not avalible in your country, console not available in your country, Vista, Windows Store, ads on Xbox Live Gold, Gold accounts required for Netflix, RROD...

Pick one.

VanTesla

Apr 19, 2011
Wow that is just sad and so funny at the same time. I mean they make a big deal about Windows 8 being so superior, but use Windows 7 because it is truly better than the peace of poo Windows 8 is atm. This would be just like if they came out when Vista was only a year old, but used the superior Windows XP... Well Vista was complete shit so 8 is not as say that bad, but in games it be worse in other ways like indie developers and such...

n19h7m4r3

Sep 9, 2008
rodneyy said:
Senarrius said:
It's also running a water cooled Intel CPU from the looks of it, and other forums.
to be fair the water cooling might just be because of where they have to put it. a small enclosed cupbord with little to no ventilation if its got to run all day showing of the games then it would get preaty hot in there. fans might just not cut it. and these pics are embarrassing but if all of them had to be turned off opened up to cool down that would look way worse
The bigger thing isn't about it being watercooled per say, but it might indicate it might also be over clocked. The main culprits are Intel and Nvidia.
People might say games are developed on PC's, and they're right but the problem is that the Console architectures are AMD based.

They use different API's, instruction sets( sometimes), and have different features.

Also for people claiming the consoles aren't done yet. yes, sure but that's what development kits are for. AKA prototype consoles, which are as close to the final product as can be.

Anyone thinking they're still working on the hardware designs at this stage are woefully incorrect. As CPU/APU GPU's architectures are designed over years, and are well finalised by now. It's most likely that they are very close to full production by now. ( The console, the APU from AMD is all ready being fabricated as it's a much more complicated process.)

There is also the case of many developers and Sony having stated that their games were running on PS4 dev kits, not PC's. Especially not custom built PC's with entirely different hardware components. compared to the Xbox architecture.

Here's a PS4 dev kit. It's a console, which is as close as possible to the final product to accurately test, and run their latest code for games.

[http://s60.photobucket.com/user/N19h7m4r3/media/Tech%20-%20Geekiness/ps4_devkit_zpsf0bae136.jpg.html]

Daymo

And how much is this Pub Club?
May 18, 2008
piinyouri said:
I always thought that was standard practice as it would be easier to control what happens.
It's not that it's running on a PC, it's that it's running on system specs far above what the actual Xbox One will be using that is the main thing here.

VanTesla

Apr 19, 2011
Ed130 said:
luvd1 said:
Eeeerrr...

Windows 8, closing Ensemble Studios, Deal With It, anti-trust lawsuits, Always Online, GFWL not avalible in your country, console not available in your country, Vista, Windows Store, ads on Xbox Live Gold, Gold accounts required for Netflix, RROD...

Pick one.
The joke is that they will likely have Windows 8 on it at launch which is sad for having 7 on it would be much better for the consumer and indie developers... They are not acting so bright with this next gen console since they have announced it... Could you imagine if the first gen of Xbone consoles had the ROD as well? If so I hope it will make those that buy it actually wake up and see that they are getting screwed over...

deadish

Dec 4, 2011
Could the bad press get any worse for MS?

My god, this launch has been a clusterfuck of the most epic proportions. LOL.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
E3 Demos ALWAYS run on PC rigs. This isn't new. It's been that way for forever. There are plenty of reasons to poopoo the Xbox One (and i'm on the bandwagon here) but this isn't one of them.

PS: Ps4 Devkits is code for "PC's with comperable specs to the ps4"

VanTesla

Apr 19, 2011
Senarrius said:
rodneyy said:
Senarrius said:
The bigger thing isn't about it being watercooled per say, but it might indicate it might also be over clocked. The main culprits are Intel and Nvidia.
People might say games are developed on PC's, and they're right but the problem is that the Console architectures are AMD based.

They use different API's, instruction sets( sometimes), and have different features.

Also for people claiming the consoles aren't done yet. yes, sure but that's what development kits are for. AKA prototype consoles, which are as close to the final product as can be.
If this is 100% true than good on Sony for making wise decisions compared to the recent shit Microsoft has been doing..

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
Akichi Daikashima said:
Andy of Comix Inc said:
I'm pretty happy about this, because it means the Xbox One controller - the only thing I'm interested in - will work on PCs. Hooray!
But it will most likely be a different version of the Xbone controller, just like the current 360 for Windows one, so the price will be jacked up!

BOO!

But I see no difference between that one and the current one(no extra buttons) so I might buy a 360 pad once the Xbone comes out.
It's actually the same, the extra price (from the wireless models) presumably comes from the bundled wireless receiver.

Once you have a wireless receiver, you can use any Xbox controller with it. I use the same controller on PC and 360, wirelessly. I do try to buy second hand though cos new prices are absolutely atrocious, especially in Australia where a controller can cost as much as a game.

VanTesla

Apr 19, 2011
J Tyran said:
This news makes me happy, at least now we know that kinda sexy Xbone controller will work on the PC.
Kiya said:
You can clearly see a high end Nvidia card in a blown up version of the second image which is frankly astonishing.

From what I understand no Microsoft Xbox one dev kit would be able to run on that hardware as they would be using AMD/Radeon tech. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
This too, why/how are they playing on the PC with Nvidia hardware when the Xbone will be AMD hardware?
Money my friend it's all about money... Some reports say Nvidia wanted to hike up the gfx cards for the next gen consoles and thus AMD/Radeons offer on cost looked way more appealing for both Sony and Microsoft.

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
luvd1 said:
Games for Windows Live (GFWL), that's what.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Daymo said:
piinyouri said:
It's not that it's running on a PC, it's that it's running on system specs far above what the actual Xbox One will be using that is the main thing here.
Ahhh I see.

Thank you for clarifying that.