Updated: McAfee AntiVirus Founder Wanted for Murder

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
Wow... this is...
This is really bizzare.
He?d seen them coming, and says he hid ? burying himself in the sand with a cardboard box over his head so he could breathe
Seriously, what the Hell? This sounds like a pilot episode for a TV series.

Akexi

May 15, 2008
This guy definitely sounds like a nut, but I feel more sad for the dogs of this guy above anything.

Lopende Paddo

Aug 26, 2004
Mr.Tea said:
vrbtny said:
This.... this dude is utterly bizzare.

Are you sure this is all legit?.... because this sounds like some future HBO story about some computer nerd going rouge and fighting the drug war in his own unique way....

seriously, this guy's tale is just bizarre.
Rogue.
[HEADING=3]Rogue.[/HEADING]
[HEADING=2]Rogue.[/HEADING]
[HEADING=1]Rogue.[/HEADING]

Why can no one spell this word right??
because red sounds nice in french.

OT:strange story. why go through all that trouble when you have 100 million dollars? I would just chill and do fun stuff...

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
Jeez, looks like one of the conspiracy nuts did go insane.

I feel bad for him, but seriously, someone needs to put this guy down or lock him up. Nuts like him with a loaded weapon are a danger to all of us.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Solo-Wing said:
Well Mcafee stock is about to drop. even if they are not associated with the dude anymore.

Cool, I'll snap it up, because nothing to do with the company has been affected and the product still works fine. Time to go make a mint.

Iron Criterion said:
Another victim McAfee has claimed, following the death of my laptop.
McAfee downloaded all those things by itself, eh?

eevangoh

Sep 4, 2011
vansau said:
This isn't the first time this guy has run afoul of the Brazilian authorities. About six months ago, he wound up going on the run after police raided his house. http://www.alltechienews.com/posts/poor-john-mcafee-belize-police-arrested-the-antivirus-icon-and-killed-his-dog
Belizean authorities, you mean.

I honestly don't think the guy did it. Why the fuck would he steal the laptop and the iPod? It's not like he's fucking starving, for Christ's sake. And it does seem like the police has a hard-on for him. Deserved or not, but they do.

Isn't "oh, they had a fight the other day, must be the killer" incredibly shoddy reasoning in a murder investigation?

eevangoh

Sep 4, 2011
albino boo said:
DVS BSTrD said:
So is Russia going to ban McAfee now?
McAfee is effectivity banned in Russia already, Kaspersky is the official Russian AV product. That might be something to do with the former CEO and current major shareholder of Kaspersky being a supporter of Putin and in particular supporting internet censorship.
Excuse me, but what the living fuck are you talking about? You can get whatever antivirus you want in Russia. It's not 1937 anymore, you know. Also, gulags haven't existed for the last fifty years, either.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
He may very well be innocent, and having this compounded with his clear paranoia problems makes him pretty worthy of sympathy, in my opinion.

He's crazy, absolutely, but that in no way makes him a murderer, and we shouldn't assume his guilt when there is, at least as far as the article goes, no actual evidence of wrongdoing.

This is something that many people have a hard time with: Put yourself in his shoes as if you were innocent but were the prime suspect. Now picture yourself already being a bit nuts.

eevangoh

Sep 4, 2011
Just realized something: it's basically Heart of Darkness! Except the locals hate McAfee instead of worship him.

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
Ultratwinkie said:
Well, South American governments do tend to have "death squads." But those squads are normally used against rebels, spies, activists, and subversive elements.
I would say American, quite sure Mexico and USA have better death squads that your average South American country.

The only countries that might have not are Costa Rica and Canada due being hippies, Panama due relying on USA for their internal and external security needs and Haiti because financial issues.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
Baldr said:
Mr.Tea said:
vrbtny said:
This.... this dude is utterly bizzare.

Are you sure this is all legit?.... because this sounds like some future HBO story about some computer nerd going rouge and fighting the drug war in his own unique way....

seriously, this guy's tale is just bizarre.
Rogue.
[HEADING=3]Rogue.[/HEADING]
[HEADING=2]Rogue.[/HEADING]
[HEADING=1]Rogue.[/HEADING]

Why can no one spell this word right??
Aoccdrnig to rseerach at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Stop benig a spelling/tpyo Nzai.

As for McAfee, ate one to many Jungle flowers.
You jsut prveod tihs tehroy cecrrot, sir. I raed taht wtih aseolutbly no pmrbloes.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
RicoADF said:
theultimateend said:
flaming_squirrel said:
Baldr said:
Aoccdrnig to rseerach at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Stop benig a spelling/tpyo Nzai.

As for McAfee, ate one to many Jungle flowers.
Go on, honestly how long did it take you to write that?
Dunno but just about every piece of information in that jibberish is a lie.

There was no study, and it isn't because we read words as a whole. It's because they are using sentences with strong contextual cues and common words.

You can easily generate sentences of jibberish like above that few if anyone could translate quickly.
I read through it with no issues, I'd say there's more to it then you think.

OT: while Mc Afee sounds like he's nuts, the authorities in the area are known to be corrupt and the story is plausable, abiet doubtful/unlikely. We probably will never know the true story.
And yet you had trouble reading my sentences...peculiar.

It's because they are using sentences with strong contextual cues and common words.

http://scienceavenger.blogspot.com/2007/12/cambridge-word-scramble-study-its-fake.html

"Bblaaesl pryleas pnmrrioefg sllaimy aeoulltsby dvrseee clbrpmaaoe tteenmrat." Being their quick example. You could make hundreds, if not thousands, of simple short lines that would be equally difficult.

Shia-Neko-Chan

Apr 23, 2008
What's important to note is that his dogs are all dead.

Whether or not they actually did do it, somebody did. I don't think it makes him a crazy person to just happen to be paranoid when coincidentally he becomes the prime suspect for somebody's murder very soon after.

Assuming he's innocent and that he's afraid for his life as a result of all the recent events, isn't his reaction reasonable?

Neonit

Dec 24, 2008
Fanghawk said:
UPDATE: According to Wired, McAfee is hiding from the authorities while proclaiming his innocence. The article explains that when McAfee saw the police approaching his property, he quickly buried himself in sand, placing a cardboard box over his head so he could breathe. "It was extraordinarily uncomfortable," he said, "But they will kill me if they find me."
Im sorry, but this is probably the most funny thing i read today. "shit, they are onto me, better bury myself in that sand!"
What is he, an ostrich?

This is crazy, even by my standards!