US Air Force Confirms Existence of "Brony" Squadron

MoeMints

Apr 30, 2013
Worgen said:
Really, its almost no different from something like transformers, the age target isn't different, the main difference is the gender target.
Please do not tell me you're comparing the cartoons themselves as "almost no different".
That's like King of the Hill, Lucky Star, South Park, TMNT, and K-on are all the same just because they use the four man system of personalities.

If not, my apologies.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
MoeMints said:
Worgen said:
Really, its almost no different from something like transformers, the age target isn't different, the main difference is the gender target.
Please do not tell me you're comparing the cartoons themselves as "almost no different".
That's like King of the Hill, Lucky Star, South Park, TMNT, and K-on are all the same just because they use the four man system of personalities.

If not, my apologies.
No, I'm comparing something like transformers to mlp. Both are released by hasbro, both could be seen as 30 minute toy commercials (although it seems like transformers is a bit more of that since it seems more toyetic.) and both are targeted at children. As I said before, the main difference is that one is aimed at boys and the other is aimed at girls. Cartoons do have the stigma as something for kids, but I've been watching them long enough to know that's bullshit. Hell, just watch something like Panty and Stalking. Anyway, I'm not saying that.

TheUsername0131

Mar 1, 2012
[TL;DR ? Nothing Here, I made so many fallacies that not reading this would be the preferred choice.]

Anything that becomes too big a presence online becomes the target of such hostility, with many ?spoiling for a fight. This has gone on for as far back as 35500 B.E. (Before Internet.)

Long before the information age, men fought and accused each other, there was much general distrust and unflattering accusations of misappropriate behaviour.

Fandoms as a whole have a taint of stigmatism about them, no matter how minor it may be will cause a kneejerk response, an implicitly aggressive one.

All fandoms have those few spoiled apples. ?One rotten apple spoils the whole barrel.?
The sorts of people whose unhealthy obsession causes shame and embarrassment in others by association. In others, it will cause them to cringe.

Using phrase and terms like: ?Innocence proves nothing,??HERESY!? ?EXTRA HERESY!? ?BURN THE HERETIC,? ?FOR THE GLORY OF THE IMPERIUM!? and other such delightful turns of phrase that becomes a mnemonic reflex to the point of euphoric 15th centaury ?witch-hunt? driven fervour, not unlike sanctimonious, self-righteous condescension, only much more fun. A feeling of scornful contempt towards things? anything really.

[Anyone who disagrees should get into their groups of friends and play a fun game of accusing others of heresy. You will find even the most introverted otherwise stoic people become as affluent and sinister as Archdeacon Claude Frollo. Heck, any game not unlike the Mafia (party game), etc. Will foster an immediate sense of camaraderie and community. Retorting to any remark with the phrase ?blasphemy? and ?heresy? is infectious fun. (Or maybe that?s just me.)]

There are those who find camaraderie when they share a common hatred (and other mutually shared interests notwithstanding.) It is in this temper that they find the magic? of friendship.
*Deliberate pun.*

There is a cruel joy to be had at the expense of others, accusing them of being debauched, depraved, dissolute, degenerate and other words starting with ?D.?

Not sure where I was going with that, changing my post?s topic.

The pilots are using an allusion to a show. ?My little Pilot: Flying is Magic.?
Such a reference can easily be dismissed as a send-up, satire. Or by an overt stretch, plausible deniability.

Now for fun I will suggest that the progenitor of the show sighed/struck a Faustian pact to ensure that the show would be well received. As always with such infernal bargains always come with a terrible price by way of wording. That the show will be well received, but by whom?

There is much to be said about: ?people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.?
As has been stated on numerous occasions in this thread.

We are all Nerds/Geeks/Weirdos here:
Look at how the media portrays us as ?gamers.? As childish-foaming-mad-violent-hoodlums!
Yet no one here would claim to identify as such, especially those dubious claims of being involved with public shootings.

Who here would claim that by virtue of playing videogames that they are misogynists?

We all ride on a bandwagon, and rundown anyone that gets to close. We all have an immediate dislike to any minority that gets vocal. We all call foul of threats that do not exist.

To those whose insult fails to cause a reaction, falling on death ears is one that is wasted.

For the gentleman who made his honest displeasure of that community to be known to others. Unlike others, he isn?t trolling. These last four years of escalation has made him incredibly uncomfortable to the point that he feels like the only sane man in a mad world.

He is predisposed to viewing this in the most pessimistic light. A probable outcome if the conditions where an even split between: accepting, neutral or adverse.

This is a man who has been driven to the edge, and needs help from a supporting community:
Arguing with someone who is angry will make them more angry.
Attempts to appeal to them based on formal discourse will make the applicant sound smug.
Attempting to settle him down by way of compromise will make the negotiator sound like an apologist of the most disputed sort.

No that is not grounds for a stealth conversion/assimilation/invitation, if your being nice just so that he can see ?the light,? ?the magic of friendship,? then its rendered moot. Showing him an image of what he perceives as a threat consorting with what he holds dear is going to, and has aggravated the situation. The situation being that he perceives it as an intrusive and destructive phenomena.

There is no point in hating him, cautious optimism and hugs, yes?
Or you can just tell him to deal with it. But that would only perpetuate the grimdark.

Or maybe it?s all hyperbole and he is responding as such because he is getting enjoyment from so many people going to the effort of defending something. In that case I?ve been duped.

Any fandom can be easily portrayed as something of a creepypasta story. NO fandom is free from suspicion. Nothing is sacred, comedy is always at someone?s expense (even if it?s your own.)

FilmDude89

Jan 6, 2013
Well.. Whatever makes life in the military easier I suppose.
I don't understand this MLP phenomenon but to each their own. I must admit that some of the more.. enthusiastic members of the MLP fan base kind of irritate me to some degree, But everything has its ups and downs.

Hunter Creed

Jun 27, 2012
bibblles said:
Worgen said:
bibblles said:

I don't care about any argument made in favor of this bullshit. The ponies are an infectious plague, and will be dealt with as such.
Inquisitor Applejack frowns upon on your shenanigans.

No matter how much 40k stuff you post, I can counter it with cooler pony 40k stuff, its fun.
This is exactly the kind of bullshit I'm talking about, you infect something and force ponies on everything you find. It's why I don't go to conventions for fear of losing control and winding up in prison.
Yes because MLP is the only fandom that does that...

Oh no! Hello Kitty is invading Gundam!
Oh no! Hello Kitty is invading Warhammer 40k!
Oh no! Warhammer 40k is invading Star Wars!
Oh no! Star Wars is invading Men of War!

This is such a strange and very rare phenomenon. People that love multiple things and wanting to cross those things over. If only there was a term for such an odd thought. Like crossovers.

It's why you'll see Hello Kitty 40k armies or Star Wars 40k armies. It's why you'll see tens of thousands of pictures, photoshopped to add in characters from other franchises. Or mods for games that incorporate characters from other games or movies. Because when you have an interest in two different things, you might want to see those two things mix. You get the best of both worlds.

Just because a fan base is large and has a lot of people who like to create stuff, then people post their work, doesn't mean they or the fandom need to die. Sure, the ridiculous amounts of stuff that seem to weasel into oh so many threads should slow down. But getting all mad and throwing a temper tantrum, then slinging around a bunch of hate because you don't like that fan base isn't the way to go. If you don't like it, fine, but lets not sling around a bunch of anger and hatred because you don't like something. This may surprise you, but different people like different things and certain people like to show it more than others.

Yes, I know. What an amazing concept. Yes, being *forced* to look at stuff you don't want to see can be annoying. But that doesn't mean you need to go postal on the entire fan base and sit there with a voodoo doll wishing ill fortune on all who had the misfortune to have tastes that differ from your own.

There are a lot of fan bases that can be pushy and run around posting things from their fanbase that others may not like. But strangely enough, most people are mature enough to not hop up onto their computer chair screaming with righteous vigor; immediately leaping into action like a cheetah on a trampoline, mashing buttons as quickly as possible, using all the obscenities and hateful words that pop into their empty fuckin' heads.

Most just ignore said post and continue on with their day. Yes, seeing too much stuff you don't like is annoying, but try to just ignore it and go on with your day. I mean, do you honestly think that calling people names, wishing them death and disease will make them stop posting images or liking the show and wanting to show their love?

If you know anything about the fan base, you would know that will just get even more fans posting 'love and tolerance' gifs and all that happy horse (no pun intended) shit. Bets are you know that full well and just like to revel in the hate (read: tolerance). But if you aren't; if you're seriously some anonymous crusader out for the blood of bronies -

See ya.

Hunter C. Creed

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
Well, that escalated quickly eh?
*sigh*

OT - Cool for them I guess. Still not sure how I'd feel about serving pilots wearing them.

chinangel

Sep 25, 2009
bibblles said:
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
Firstly, have you considered anger management therapy?

Secondly... this is not the 41st century, there is no God-Emperor of Mankind, and the Ordos Malleus is not going to smite someone for liking My Little Pony. Calling them "Pony-Fags" isn't gonna help your side of the argument either.
I've been to anger management, it doesn't help.
I just use those pictures because they're convenient, I'm broadly aware of the millennium we live in.

Ordos Malleus might not smite them, but I will. I've lost friendships over this crap, I can't take it anymore. I'm not some keyboard warrior or forum troll, this is what I really believe. The pony crap needs to end.
Here's a hint: it won't. Like people who decried pokemon as being the antichrist and whatnot, Pony's are unlikely to go away anytime soon, so really you're only choice is to deal.

You're a rather vocal minority who is acting pretty childish. The pony thing may irritate and upset you but look at it this way:

Who made you click the link? No one. Nobody threatened you if you refused. You made the choice to come in here and rage, as opposed to leaving it alone and going somewhere else.

That is why people find your arguments silly and don't have much time for you and think you're a troll: you come into a forum that is discussing something you clearly don't like with what appears to be the intent to stir up trouble.

A suggestion in the future? Walk away, you see something pony-based you dont' like? What away, because your one-man crusade is only going to be responded with scorn and pity whereas silence will bring nothing against you.

Bit Orwellian? maybe, but in this case you're the architect of your own misery.

CaptainThom

Jun 24, 2013
NearLifeExperience said:
Oh dear. The world has gone absolutely banana nut butters..
What's next, a Dora wrestling federation? Sesame street ice hockey team?

This is well beyond the scope of my comprehension, I can tell you that for a fact.
I agree i think having a squadron named after MLP is taking this a bit to far and it causes a lot of the arguments that we have seen in this thread.

My problem isn't with MLP per say it would be with any cartoon that was in anyway involved in the military, i just think it makes light of the military but im British so i guess its none of my business.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
CaptainThom said:
NearLifeExperience said:

This is well beyond the scope of my comprehension, I can tell you that for a fact.
I agree i think having a squadron named after MLP is taking this a bit to far and it causes a lot of the arguments that we have seen in this thread.

My problem isn't with MLP per say it would be with any cartoon that was in anyway involved in the military, i just think it makes light of the military but im British so i guess its none of my business.
Members of the Air Force fly multimillion dollar fighter jets, jets which could result in absolute disaster at the slightest error, oftentimes whilst getting shot at. I think they're allowed to lighten up once in a while, don't you? Making light of what they do probably gets them through the day.

Proeliator

Aug 22, 2012
Wow, I didn't realize that people were still bent out of shape over ponies. I personally couldn't see myself getting angry at someone mix matching ponies and whatever-they-want. Flipping a shit over a Training Squad Having My Little Pony patches? They're have been Woody Woodpecker Shuttle Mission Patches. It was a joke, try to imagine yourself talking to one of those trainees about how their patch is a disgusting cultural cancer destroying entertainment or something-or-other.

It even says in the article, they put it in not wanting it as a patch, but as a joke. Low and behold it gets approved, and what do ya know? They decide it's hilarious and wear it.
I heavily doubt that any of them have even watched the show. Or if they have, seen 5 episodes, tops. They probably don't even have the time.

VodkaKnight

Jul 12, 2013
I thought the My Little Pony rage died down by now.
Meh, I like the pilots though.
I think it's kinda awesome.

CaptainThom

Jun 24, 2013
Hazy992 said:
CaptainThom said:
NearLifeExperience said:

Members of the Air Force fly multimillion dollar fighter jets, jets which could result in absolute disaster at the slightest error, oftentimes whilst getting shot at. I think they're allowed to lighten up once in a while, don't you? Making light of what they do probably gets them through the day.
Yeah i just re-read what i said and realized im completely wrong, as long as they do their job to the highest standard it really doesnt matter.My point was trivial and pointless please ignore it :p

Iron Criterion

Feb 4, 2009
IceForce said:
Anyone care to enlighten me why the Escapist forums seems unable to discuss this topic civilly?

I mean, it's a fucking TV show. We all watch TV shows. There's no reason why THIS particular TV show should spark so much vitriol.

EDIT: And just to prove my point, look at the next post.
Why? Because the so called Bronies are so utterly unable to accept someone not liking their show.

I get being defensive if someone is being darn right rude/aggressive regarding your tastes, but all it takes to start an argument with them is a simple: "I don't get the appeal of this show," or "Yeah, it's not for me." What's wrong with that? Why the cult mentality?

Also, you'll find that the Bronies are unable to accept any criticism. It's a forum, you may get insulted on occasion. You're not a special group, you can't claim to be discriminated against. You're fans of a TV show. Just ignore criticism like most people do - that's how civil people act.

thanatos388

Apr 24, 2012
Neronium said:
hazabaza1 said:
I don't know whether to sigh, lie down and cry myself to sleep or be genuinely impressed.
Why not all 3? :D

OT: Well this is certainly interesting for sure. Now to wait for the Adventure Time Squad to appear in the Army. ^.^
...it can happen.
Yeah totally and um..... I actually have nothing to add to the discussion and just wanted to know where your avatar came from. Its so....stunning I guess and just wanted to know. Thanks.

Hehe this is probably spam.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
thanatos388 said:
Neronium said:
hazabaza1 said:
I don't know whether to sigh, lie down and cry myself to sleep or be genuinely impressed.
Why not all 3? :D

OT: Well this is certainly interesting for sure. Now to wait for the Adventure Time Squad to appear in the Army. ^.^
...it can happen.
Yeah totally and um..... I actually have nothing to add to the discussion and just wanted to know where your avatar came from. Its so....stunning I guess and just wanted to know. Thanks.

Hehe this is probably spam.
Thanks, and my avatar is from the Thriller Bark arc of One Piece. I love One Piece a lot and for the majority of the time I've been on this site this has been my avatar mainly. You should check it out. ^.^

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
LifeCharacter said:
Care to point out where Ice used circular logic, because I can't really see it? I know it's easier to just say "logical fallacy!" and walk away like you just won the internet, but that's not how discussion works.
I'll put it simply for you.

"Shut up."

"No! You shut up!"

Amgeo

Apr 14, 2011
It's a decent cartoon, but I feel like at this point My Little Pony fans are really more fans of themselves than of the show.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Iron Criterion said:
IceForce said:
Anyone care to enlighten me why the Escapist forums seems unable to discuss this topic civilly?

I mean, it's a fucking TV show. We all watch TV shows. There's no reason why THIS particular TV show should spark so much vitriol.

EDIT: And just to prove my point, look at the next post.
Why? Because the so called Bronies are so utterly unable to accept someone not liking their show.

I get being defensive if someone is being darn right rude/aggressive regarding your tastes, but all it takes to start an argument with them is a simple: "I don't get the appeal of this show," or "Yeah, it's not for me." What's wrong with that? Why the cult mentality?

Also, you'll find that the Bronies are unable to accept any criticism. It's a forum, you may get insulted on occasion. You're not a special group, you can't claim to be discriminated against. You're fans of a TV show. Just ignore criticism like most people do - that's how civil people act.
If someone says they don't get the appeal of the show in a thread about the show then they would be silly for expecting to not get an answer. If you don't get it, you don't need to say anything. If you do say something then it sounds like your asking why, so you shall receive an answer.

Also, being defensive is something everyone does, look at the 'Tropes vs Women thread' its over 400 responses and if those are anything like the threads in the past them a good portion of those are to ***** about Anita Sarkeesian, I've even seen long rebuttals of her stuff on youtube that didn't seem to have even watched her videos. They just took what they assumed she would say and spent the time bitching about it.

Plus we get people like Bibbles, who really seems like he needs to be on some kind of medication considering he has said he has a violent reaction just to the sight of ponies. Does it require a response, no but the internet is made for arguments over things that don't matter.

Alcom1

Jun 19, 2013

Somehow related, if you get the timing and the angle correct, the water vapor trailing off a plane, in this case an F22 Raptor, creates quite the rainbow.

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
... holy shit.
Damn, that is pretty cool.

Even if I'm not a brony myself. I actually almost thought I took some bad headache pills.
One thing I know NOT to do is insult their patch or My Little Pony.

Still ...
I need to lie down and think for a tad.

*Some time later*
Yep, this piece of news is cool.