US Air Force Confirms Existence of "Brony" Squadron

staika

I am Tizzy's Willing Slave
Aug 3, 2009
I saw this newspost and wondered why it had so many comments. Pony flamewar of course, why didn't that cross my mind at all? Thought the lot of you got over this a long time ago. Oh well everything even remotely linked to ponies devolves into a flamewar so why am i surprised at all =P

OT: When i first saw the title I thought it was going to be a rainbow dash type logo, but of course it wasn't. Still a humorous logo idea but they could have done better. Though it is nice to see that the group can decide on their own logo, there have to be some awesome ones when you do that.

Sep 14, 2009
IceForce said:
Maybe it would be best if the mods just locked this thread? Unless it's an experiment to see how much mod wrath one thread can accumulate.
gmaverick019 said:
I will agree in that people love using the "straw man!/poes law!/logical fallacy!/ad hominem!/ /thread" reply to things, it can get a little old to see it as frequently as it is used to make the person feel like they won the "argument", even if they are right/factually true.
I'll echo what NameIsRobertPaulson said, and say that strawman arguments need to called out.

It's incredibly annoying and frustrating trying to discuss something with someone, and they keep twisting your words into things you're not actually saying.
I get what you mean, but you know, i could just say

"strawman"

and leave my reply as that, as what some people do, because you're misunderstanding me, I'm not meaning that it should never be called out, nor that people shouldn't form their arguments better, but what I meant was is that it shouldn't be people's go to defense in any discussion/argument, because it happens all too often where the person crying out "straw man! ad hominem! poes law!" are actually being a hypocrite by doing such things, and then the argument "slippery slopes" into childish arguments, which is why I try not to use them as the crux of an argument.

Radoh

Bans for the Ban God~
Jun 10, 2010
TheOrb said:
If bronies are tired of being victimised, could they please stop trying to be such a HUGE target. I am not fine with the MLP fanbase existing at such a size it is, amalgamating other fanbases into itself; but at the very least I don't want it in my face.
That's a funny thing about internet culture, if you can call it that.
Everything is everywhere all the time.
I wasn't a fan of the Gangnam Style thing when it happened, so you know what I did? I didn't watch the video, I didn't watch any parodies of it, I didn't read anything about it, and I skipped it for the several months where it remained relevant. To this day the most I've heard of the song is Psy saying "Gangnam Style" in what I assume was a part of the chorus.
Granted, pony is still remaining relevant what with it still being an ongoing show, but if you get so bent out of shape about this just be glad there aren't weekly threads dedicated to the new episodes as they come out like the Doctor Who treatment.
Just skip it, don't get involved in it, if you don't want pony in your face, don't let pony get close to your face. It's really just that easy.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
JenSeven said:
JenSeven said:
Great news!
The dacia ... I mean the US airforce has a squadron consisting entirely out of furries.
You know like in that weird CSI episode with those disgusting animal suit people yiffing all over each other.
Wait, I got a warning for this post? Seriously?
Warning Details
Post: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/7.823686.19949726
Reason: Please do not be rude or insulting towards other users.
What is rude or insulting about that?
I made a common comparison and described a CSI episode. WHY?
Is that you again TopazFusion?
I noticed you are a bronie, so...

But this is really weird, in two days I recieved two warnings for posts that in the past wouldn't have raised an eyebrow.
Please do not accuse specific moderators based on their affiliation with certain groups.
I'm a Brony, I'm a moderator. There are 13 moderators + the staff and I am sure a couple of us Mods could be bronies not counting myself and TopazFusion. Just because a moderator is posting in a thread doesn't mean he or she is the only person handing out punishments in it.

If you have a grievance against a moderator action then you are welcome to use the appeal system to plead your case to have it overturned. Otherwise bringing moderator decisions into already heated theads is only going to make things worse for everyone.

level27smartass

Jun 23, 2012
I think one the biggest appeals of MLP is how enjoyable the show it is and how much rage it induces in other people. I find this extremely funny as no one should get that annoyed over something so trivial.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
This pony crap really is getting out of hand. It was fun before it came the next best thing since sliced bread, but now? Ugh....

generals3

Mar 25, 2009
I'm not sure what to think. On one hand if that patch is meant to be ironic (the contrast between a children's show and being someone who bombs real people does offer some comic value) I think it's kind of win, but if it's meant to be serious than "lolwut?".

Lucky Godzilla

Oct 31, 2012
Undomesticated Equine said:
I remember once on the The Daily Show Jon Stewart said jokingly that if gay people would be allowed in the military it would go gay entirely. And now it is happening. What will they do when Chinese/Russia/North Korea/Al-Kaida attack. Hug them? Use the power of friendship to convince them to stop and hold their hands and skip under the rainbow in the blooming and grassy fields and meadows under the sun?

LOL you are screwed. Thank god i am not from US my country military may be a joke but at least it is not filled with princesses in fabulous pink dresses.
can't tell if serious

Anywhoo I'd Imagine that were someone to be dumb enough to attack the U.S they would be faced with
5,500(ish) combat aircraft and bombers (USAF)
10 aircraft carriers
22 cruisers
66 destroyers
23 frigates
71 submarines
600 combat aircraft (USN)
8,700 tanks
over one million army grunts
195,000 Marines

I mean holy fuck if all of these things tried to give you a hug at once you'd be reduced to paste.

waj9876

Jan 14, 2012
Wow, look at you guys, getting all pissy because you can't keep your noses out of things you hate.

"Oh look, a pony thread, I hate ponies, I'm going to read this thread that wasn't meant for me and accuse bronies of pushing it in my face."

You know what? You're right. We should stop talking about the show where others might see it. We should also stop talking about Doctor Who, Game of Thrones, Skyrim, Minecraft, our hate for Microsoft, steam sales, and other such things, because someone somewhere might not like these things. And if we talk about them, obviously we're pushing them in other people's faces.

Because we humans can't control what we click on, every time we see something we hate, we have to see more of it, and then insult the people who actually like it.

/end sarcasm

If you don't like it, stay the fuck away from it. Seriously. It's that simple.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
waj9876 said:
You're forgetting about when people post pictures and gifs of ponies in threads that have nothing to do with them, so it's nowhere as simple to avoid them as you make it out to be.

kenu12345

Seeker of Ancient Knowledge
Aug 3, 2011
TheEvilGenius said:
This. This is why the rest of us U.S. military types don't take the Air Force seriously.
Which would also explain other brances of the military basically having the same things. Come on man lighten up

TheEvilGenius

Apr 18, 2010
kenu12345 said:
Which would also explain other branches of the military basically having the same things. Come on man lighten up
Lighten up? I haven't stopped laughing at this since I saw the article. I think it's hilarious. That being said, I'm also Navy. As a member of one of the other branches of the military, I am duty bound to make fun of the Air Force whenever possible. Besides, it's one thing to like MLP (I do). It's another thing entirely to put it on your uniform. If a Marine Corps or Navy Pilot did that shit, he'd have been fucking HUNG. >_> At least, he would if he was around the pilots I work for.

kenu12345

Seeker of Ancient Knowledge
Aug 3, 2011
TheEvilGenius said:
kenu12345 said:
Which would also explain other branches of the military basically having the same things. Come on man lighten up
Lighten up? I haven't stopped laughing at this since I saw the article. I think it's hilarious. That being said, I'm also Navy. As a member of one of the other branches of the military, I am duty bound to make fun of the Air Force whenever possible. Besides, it's one thing to like MLP (I do). It's another thing entirely to put it on your uniform. If a Marine Corps or Navy Pilot did that shit, he'd have been fucking HUNG. >_> At least, he would if he was around the pilots I work for.
Ha well this is a whole platoon or something if I believe. So no hanging or such lol. Just wanted to point that out dude. Its not that adnormal just a joke patch. Its sorta like someone putting darth vader on a patch and wearing it.

TheEvilGenius

Apr 18, 2010
kenu12345 said:
Ha well this is a whole platoon or something if I believe. So no hanging or such lol. Just wanted to point that out dude. Its not that adnormal just a joke patch. Its sorta like someone putting darth vader on a patch and wearing it.
I know. Some of the pilots out here wear patches like this:
However, my point still stands. I will also continue to mock the Air Force for it because that's just what the different branches do. We mock each other. Ruthlessly.

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
Genocidicles said:
waj9876 said:
You're forgetting about when people post pictures and gifs of ponies in threads that have nothing to do with them, so it's nowhere as simple to avoid them as you make it out to be.

I've seen this posted on the escapist more than any pony gif. I guess I'm welcome to tell firefly fans to sod off whenever appropriate.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
Shadowstar38 said:
I've seen this posted on the escapist more than any pony gif. I guess I'm welcome to tell firefly fans to sod off whenever appropriate.
Well first of all, it's not from Firefly. I think it's from Castle, but I don't watch that show so I couldn't say.

Secondly, there isn't a massive hatedom for Castle.

But hey, if it riles you up then feel free to tell them to sod off. Who am I to judge?

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
Genocidicles said:
Shadowstar38 said:
Well first of all, it's not from Firefly. I think it's from Castle, but I don't watch that show so I couldn't say.

Secondly, there isn't a massive hatedom for Castle.

But hey, if it riles you up then feel free to tell them to sod off. Who am I to judge?
I guess you shouldn't judge. But I would. Mostly because you're riled over AN IMAGE ON A COMPUTER SCREEN.

Fuck people[not you in particular]. Ponies aren't real. They can't hurt you. Smoke a blunt and chill.

That or I can just spike your drink with moonshine. But you consenting to the former would be far easier.

I don't know where to find moonshine.

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
ArithianFlame said:
JenSeven said:
TheOrb said:
JenSeven said:
Great news!
The dacia ... I mean the US airforce has a squadron consisting entirely out of furries.
You know like in that weird CSI episode with those disgusting animal suit people yiffing all over each other.
I'm sure if you're aware, but most furries aren't bronies; some might say that bronies are more extreme versions of furries, but I would like to distance myself from them.
Well, let's look at some MLP fanart...

Nope, can't show that...
No...
Wait, what?
That's an "interesting" crossover..
No
With urotsukidoji? Seriously?
What's ... I don't even...
*turns it sideways* With a melon?
I find your position on MLP fanart ironic, given the nature of your avatar.

Personally, I try and distance myself away from strange female fox-things with abnormally large mammary glands. Because some might find that more "extreme". However I generally keep my mouth shut on the subject, because it's none of my business and I'd hate to look like hypocritical fool. Maybe there's a lesson to be learned here.
Oh dear...
If only you knew what you're talking about, what irony actually is, or the reason why I have that avatar that seems to fill you with such disgust.
And "given the nature", by making that remark you clearly do not know the origin or the nature of the image, completely undermining your own point.

But you do have a point, or to be more precise, I could add a point to your comment.
I'm pretty sure there is some "interesting" fanart for Hyper Police.
However my avatar came directly from the show (a 3 second clip from a 26 episode show). It is as the creators intended and kept in exactly the same way.
The fanart I described is made my fans of the show, showing content the original creators never intended to be included, given its own pedistal and spread around the internet as is.
Also, Hyper Police is intended for a teen audience (I think) and not watched by little girls, unlike MLP.

And finally a point everyone seems to have missed, let's look at that last line of mine.

*turns it sideways* With a melon?

This is a very obvious reference to Monty Python's Storytime sketch, I suggest watching it. You can probably find it on youtube.
But then again, I shouldn't be surprised nobody recognized it, a lot of people nowadays only really know Monty Python for that Holy Grail movie and don't even realise they had a brilliant sketch comedy show long before that...