Valve Becomes the New March Mayhem: Developer's Showdown Champion

Ricotez

Jan 17, 2010
Good fight, Bioware. You were a worthy contester for Valve.

And congratulations to you, Valve! You absolutely deserve this victory!

Pokeylope

Feb 10, 2010
like many, I'm a huge fan of both of these developers.
I've been a fan of Bioware longer (since I found my first star map) but Valve really connects well with their fans.

The TF2 blog is what sealed it for me. The updates are always hilarious, from the comics and contests, to the videos and the fan-made highlights. They really seem to enjoy interacting with the community and seeing what we can do.

Dr_Steve_Brule

Mar 28, 2010
Kiju said:
Dr_Steve_Brule said:
Kiju said:
Valve: Give me better customer support and some more interesting games, and I'll agree you deserve the victory. Half Life is garbage in my opinion, and both your AI Director and Physics engine are starting to show their age. Kick it up a notch guys, I think you got away with the victory out of sheer luck and blind devotion.

Bioware: Take time when you're making your games for assured quality, be sure to keep doing what you guys do best, and you'll do fine. But please please PLEASE start (extensively) bug-testing your games and patches before you release them. It's getting problematic.
Obvious troll is obvious.
Either that, or incredibly stupid.
Or I just have an opinion that differs from the general populace. Funny how that works, isn't it?
I call bullshit because Valve has one of the best costumer support in the industry.
And why did you find half life/half life 2/portal/TF2/l4d not interesting exactly?

Psychophante

Nov 9, 2009
I voted Bioware, but well done Valve. Certainly was a tough call. And they deserve props for pwning Zynga.

Kiju

Apr 20, 2009
Dr_Steve_Brule said:
Kiju said:
Dr_Steve_Brule said:
Kiju said:
Valve: Give me better customer support and some more interesting games, and I'll agree you deserve the victory. Half Life is garbage in my opinion, and both your AI Director and Physics engine are starting to show their age. Kick it up a notch guys, I think you got away with the victory out of sheer luck and blind devotion.

Bioware: Take time when you're making your games for assured quality, be sure to keep doing what you guys do best, and you'll do fine. But please please PLEASE start (extensively) bug-testing your games and patches before you release them. It's getting problematic.
Or I just have an opinion that differs from the general populace. Funny how that works, isn't it?
I call bullshit because Valve has one of the best costumer support in the industry.
And why did you find half life/half life 2/portal/TF2/l4d not interesting exactly?
Perhaps they do if all you play is TF2 and/or CounterStrike. If you've ever been a part of the L4D Versus community, then you'll know what it is I'm talking about.

And, the reason why...well, lesse...

Half Life. I never played the first one, so I ended up playing the second one since it was at Blockbuster and I'd heard most people say it was 10/10, so I figured "Why not?". I realize that might be the start of my problems, but anyway...I picked it up, played for about four hours, then set it down again due to being completely bored; the only thing I actually had fun with was the Gravity Gun. The gunplay was straightforward and basic, and the helicopter boss and vehicle sections made me think I was playing one of the Gods-awful James Bond games. The story sounds like something that might come out of Metal Gear Solid (and all the bad points with it), and the main character makes Master Chief look someone with a vibrant and cheery personality. I've heard Half Life has an excellent storyline and characters, despite my opinion. Yeah? Make it a book, and I'll get back to you on that.

Portal I loved, even if the puzzles eventually got a little too easy once you grasped the basic concept.

TF2 is regarded as one of the starting-levels for online deathmatch gaming. Just because it's an icon doesn't mean it can't be improved and built upon to make better.

And, lastly, L4D is fairly decent for it's simplicity and mindless zombie killing. Its only faults is the fact that balancing issues between Survivors and Infected are largely ignored, causing the game to lean towards one side or the other. Most of the time, when a patch comes out, it's about something minor like...Steam Overlay not letting you access Google mid-game or some nonsense like that. Otherwise, it's a good game. Not entirely worth $50, but admittedly it's entertaining. Though, honestly, I always have had more fun with Killing Floor, than L4D.

Ghored

Mar 15, 2010
Both sides be great, so if I was actually there in time to vote, I would have picked.....uh.....neither.
Still, nice to see Valve winning. Even if I like Dragon Age and Mass Effect 1 and 2 slightly more than Valve's games.

Don't see Bioware ever doing this, though. [http://aperturescience.com/]

FrostyNWinters

Mar 19, 2010
Congrats Valve, I was cheering for BioWare the whole time as they are probably my favorite developer(Plus they beat Blizzard who I also love), but congrats none the less.

Mako SOLDIER

Dec 13, 2008
And then of course there are those of us that had no idea about the whole March Mayhem thing. Sooooo... bit of fun but not really representative, unless every gamer in the world was personally alerted to the whole thing.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
And yet we still don't have Half Life Episode 3.

Pity Valve. I really wish FROM SOFTWARE was higher in the votes.

I'm truly disappointed at the gamer community right now.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
brodie21 said:
bioware released two great games.
#1:Dragon Age:Origins.
#2:........None that I know of it would seem.

So please in lighten me as to what other game you are referring to.

Dr_Steve_Brule

Mar 28, 2010
Kiju said:
Dr_Steve_Brule said:
Kiju said:
Dr_Steve_Brule said:
Kiju said:

Perhaps they do if all you play is TF2 and/or CounterStrike. If you've ever been a part of the L4D Versus community, then you'll know what it is I'm talking about.

And, the reason why...well, lesse...

Half Life. I never played the first one, so I ended up playing the second one since it was at Blockbuster and I'd heard most people say it was 10/10, so I figured "Why not?". I realize that might be the start of my problems, but anyway...I picked it up, played for about four hours, then set it down again due to being completely bored; the only thing I actually had fun with was the Gravity Gun. The gunplay was straightforward and basic, and the helicopter boss and vehicle sections made me think I was playing one of the Gods-awful James Bond games. The story sounds like something that might come out of Metal Gear Solid (and all the bad points with it), and the main character makes Master Chief look someone with a vibrant and cheery personality. I've heard Half Life has an excellent storyline and characters, despite my opinion. Yeah? Make it a book, and I'll get back to you on that.

Portal I loved, even if the puzzles eventually got a little too easy once you grasped the basic concept.

TF2 is regarded as one of the starting-levels for online deathmatch gaming. Just because it's an icon doesn't mean it can't be improved and built upon to make better.

And, lastly, L4D is fairly decent for it's simplicity and mindless zombie killing. Its only faults is the fact that balancing issues between Survivors and Infected are largely ignored, causing the game to lean towards one side or the other. Most of the time, when a patch comes out, it's about something minor like...Steam Overlay not letting you access Google mid-game or some nonsense like that. Otherwise, it's a good game. Not entirely worth $50, but admittedly it's entertaining. Though, honestly, I always have had more fun with Killing Floor, than L4D.
All right, So far no trolling about.
Can't agree about TF2 though, that game is being updated regularly and is improved all of the time. Also, TF2 can not be regarded as "Deathmatch Gaming", since, well, theres no deathmatch in it. Deathmatch implies it's every man for himself, It's not TF2's style.
What was wrong with your customer support? I think that Valve has one of the best customer support around, and it also has a great relationship with their community. Every personal problem I encountered in a game was solved in no more than a week, usually 2-3 days.

Decabo

Dec 16, 2009
Completely unfair, in my opinion. The fact that Valve hasn't released or shown anything for HL 2: Episode 3 is ridiculous, and Left 4 Dead 2 was the same as L4D 1. Bioware, on the other hand, has pumped out quality game after quality game on a fail basis, including 2 fantastic RPGs within the past 6 months, as well as plenty of DLC for both games. People hold on to Valve for nostalgia at this point.

Ben Legend

Apr 16, 2009
Wooooo we beat Zynga. But Valve v Bioware was a difficult one for most people. But even though Bioware came second they are still in my eyes, winners.

brodie21

Apr 6, 2009
RanD00M said:
brodie21 said:
bioware released two great games.
#1:Dragon Age:Origins.
#2:........None that I know of it would seem.

So please in lighten me as to what other game you are referring to.
well, i thought Mass Effect 2 was great

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
brodie21 said:
But ME2 was released on January 28th in 2010.So what game did they release in 2009 that was not DA:O?

brodie21

Apr 6, 2009
RanD00M said:
brodie21 said:
But ME2 was released on January 28th in 2010.So what game did they release in 2009 that was not DA:O?
the year that i was thinking of was from the end of last year's competition to the start of this year's