Valve Becomes the New March Mayhem: Developer's Showdown Champion

DocRoe92

Apr 5, 2010
Only 6%, christ that's close!!! Valve rocks though, ever since they gave me Day of Defeat xD

Koron Mella

Apr 4, 2010
"We did it! The Striders/Bioware have been defeated! GOOD WORK EVERYONE!

Attention! Attention! All personnel return to base immmidiately!"

Grand_Poohbah

Nov 29, 2008
brodie21 said:
bioware should have won. valve only released one game last year and bioware released two great games.
True story. Most of the members of this site are milking the orange box for all it's worth.

Kiju

Apr 20, 2009
Dr_Steve_Brule said:
Kiju said:
Dr_Steve_Brule said:
Kiju said:
Dr_Steve_Brule said:
Kiju said:
Valve: Give me better customer support and some more interesting games, and I'll agree you deserve the victory. Half Life is garbage in my opinion, and both your AI Director and Physics engine are starting to show their age. Kick it up a notch guys, I think you got away with the victory out of sheer luck and blind devotion.

Bioware: Take time when you're making your games for assured quality, be sure to keep doing what you guys do best, and you'll do fine. But please please PLEASE start (extensively) bug-testing your games and patches before you release them. It's getting problematic.
Obvious troll is obvious.
Either that, or incredibly stupid.
Or I just have an opinion that differs from the general populace. Funny how that works, isn't it?
I call bullshit because Valve has one of the best costumer support in the industry.
And why did you find half life/half life 2/portal/TF2/l4d not interesting exactly?
Perhaps they do if all you play is TF2 and/or CounterStrike. If you've ever been a part of the L4D Versus community, then you'll know what it is I'm talking about.

And, the reason why...well, lesse...

Half Life. I never played the first one, so I ended up playing the second one since it was at Blockbuster and I'd heard most people say it was 10/10, so I figured "Why not?". I realize that might be the start of my problems, but anyway...I picked it up, played for about four hours, then set it down again due to being completely bored; the only thing I actually had fun with was the Gravity Gun. The gunplay was straightforward and basic, and the helicopter boss and vehicle sections made me think I was playing one of the Gods-awful James Bond games. The story sounds like something that might come out of Metal Gear Solid (and all the bad points with it), and the main character makes Master Chief look someone with a vibrant and cheery personality. I've heard Half Life has an excellent storyline and characters, despite my opinion. Yeah? Make it a book, and I'll get back to you on that.

Portal I loved, even if the puzzles eventually got a little too easy once you grasped the basic concept.

TF2 is regarded as one of the starting-levels for online deathmatch gaming. Just because it's an icon doesn't mean it can't be improved and built upon to make better.

And, lastly, L4D is fairly decent for it's simplicity and mindless zombie killing. Its only faults is the fact that balancing issues between Survivors and Infected are largely ignored, causing the game to lean towards one side or the other. Most of the time, when a patch comes out, it's about something minor like...Steam Overlay not letting you access Google mid-game or some nonsense like that. Otherwise, it's a good game. Not entirely worth $50, but admittedly it's entertaining. Though, honestly, I always have had more fun with Killing Floor, than L4D.
All right, So far no trolling about.
Can't agree about TF2 though, that game is being updated regularly and is improved all of the time. Also, TF2 can not be regarded as "Deathmatch Gaming", since, well, theres no deathmatch in it. Deathmatch implies it's every man for himself, It's not TF2's style.
What was wrong with your customer support? I think that Valve has one of the best customer support around, and it also has a great relationship with their community. Every personal problem I encountered in a game was solved in no more than a week, usually 2-3 days.
Arena Mode...and I meant in general. The most complicated (and admittedly fun) game-mode they have in that game is Payload, and no one wants to play it anymore. Then again, I suppose my point is moot since I like online FPS more along the lines of Battlefield 2142 and the like.

Anyway. In the games I've played that Valve has either made or supported, every time I've had a problem like...crashes, General Protection Faults, graphical glitches in-game, balancing issues, in-game errors and level restrictions that shouldn't be there, and otherwise catering to their game-testers instead of the actual people paying for the game? They've done little to nothing about it, often-times ignoring it, and the few times I actually posted a thread to point out and identify a problem with a game of theirs, they've deleted the thread and warned me about 'insinuating Valve has not done anything about these problems'. Admittedly, my comments were getting a little harsher after the eighth thread I made, but it's understandable to get frustrated that the issues you and about twenty other threads are pointing out are getting ignored or 'we're working on it' for a fully fledged year or two, isn't it?

L4D2 was nothing more than a patch for L4D that we had to pay for, and they didn't even fix all the issues almost everyone was complaining about! Not to mention they promised a lot of neat features for L4D2, and didn't deliver on any save for maybe two or three, plus another few that were shown in minor bits. Valve has good game support, possibly the best around if the here-say is to be believed. But if this is the best around, then how on Earth are the other games still actually up and running? I'd probably be complaining about Bioware on this issue too, but ya know what? They actually resolved the issue that everyone had been complaining and posting about in the forums for Dragon Age. They actually did something about it. It took awhile, but they still did, and that's what matters. Valve has so far ignored their community's comments about bugs and errors on a whole, and actually most of the fixes that have come out were done by the community themselves! Valve just takes them and incorporates them into an official patch for said game.

Simriel

The Count of Monte Cristo
Dec 22, 2008
Whoever won here I would be happy, I love them both, Voted for VALVe though.

Stuntcrab

Apr 2, 2010
ONLY BY 159 VOTES! Aw man that was TOO close im glad valve won, I love their games plus steam, l4d1 and 2, team fortress 2, half life 2 and i just noticed that alot of their games have 2 at the end.....

Stuntcrab

Apr 2, 2010
arkwright said:
WOOT Go Valve.

please ban zynga from all future mayhems.
yeah I heard that zynga bribed their voters into voting for them, Can't we just have a friendly, no cheating contest?

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
RanD00M said:
brodie21 said:
bioware released two great games.
#1:Dragon Age:Origins.
#2:........None that I know of it would seem.

So please in lighten me as to what other game you are referring to.
Knights of the Old Republic, you fool!
Baldur's Gate, you bigger fool!
Mass Effect.
Neverwinter Nights.
Sonic Adventure blahbedy blah (apparently, one of the very very few "good" Sonic 3D games).
Jade Empire.
The Witcher.

Shall I keep going?

EDIT: Whoops... You meant in the last year. >_<

Okay, Mass Effect 2.

ninjajoeman

Mar 13, 2009
reg42 said:
Oh nice.
Personally I voted for Bioware, but Valve are a great dev, so I'm happy to see them get the win.

Either way,
Anyone But Zynga
abz? what the hell do you mean by abz new form of work out to kick the crap out of zanga?

meh, but I'm just amazed that valve was still alive after that zanga onslaught and in the end they were the ones to take the cake.Seriously though zenga fans, Valve is a better developer *in my opinion* you guys are going to have to get used to it and wake up and smell the as-I mean coffee!

reg42

Mar 18, 2009
ninjajoeman said:
reg42 said:
Oh nice.
Personally I voted for Bioware, but Valve are a great dev, so I'm happy to see them get the win.

Either way,
Anyone But Zynga
abz? what the hell do you mean by abz new form of work out to kick the crap out of zanga?

meh, but I'm just amazed that valve was still alive after that zanga onslaught and in the end they were the ones to take the cake.Seriously though zenga fans, Valve is a better developer *in my opinion* you guys are going to have to get used to it and wake up and smell the as-I mean coffee!
I mean this

Comma-Kazie

Sep 2, 2009
I had a feeling this was going to be a close vote; I'm a little miffed that Bioware lost, but I'll be the first to admit that Valve is a worthy contender.

Better luck next year, I guess.

jezcentral

Nov 6, 2007
I'm another who voted for Bioware, but was still very happy to see Valve win. Congrats to both devs for a great year, and may you both have a stellar 2010.

Skizle

Feb 12, 2009
Wiezzen said:
Skizle said:
I guess all of Bioware's work was for nothing. I've never seen what others see in Valve and I am a PC gamer if you could believe that. I guess the fanboys get this year.
Everyone's intitled to their own opinion, but wow... just wow...
Valve raised the bar for gaming, took videogame physics to the next level and made the most successful online game distribution software AKA Steam.
Your point? Bioware got more done this year than Valve. It's true they have set a standard for gaming, but so has every other devoloper. And digital distribution is still in it's infancy. It's like saying my puppy is better than your puppy.