Valve Becomes the New March Mayhem: Developer's Showdown Champion

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
R4di4ti0n. said:
Best community support out there.
I disagree with that. Yes, they are amazing at it, but I've seen better: DiezelPower. With their game Nation Red, there have been more updates that I can remember and they have multiple threads on the Steam forums with suggestions to add to the game, and they actually add a lot of them into it. They are really only developer I've seen add peoples suggestions into the game (there are probably other developers that do, I just haven't seen it).

Generator

May 8, 2009
Well, even though I still wish that Insomniac would have won, Valve is still a very good developer, even with the very limited amount of games of theirs I've played. They deserved the win, and I'm happy for them. But still, it's INSOMNIAC! How could no one vote for them?

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
I'd be happy if either developer won, hell I was happy at the match-up, but I love how my favorite developer won.

Go Valve!

Mr.PlanetEater

May 17, 2009
Congrats to both developers, voted Valve myself because I grew up on the original Team Fortress, and Half Life was my third FPS I played. Also, can't wait for a steam sale.. or maybe they'll Update TF2 :3

Sir Kemper

Jan 21, 2010
:D

Hooray!

Anyway, it was close, and both sides deserved to win, but in the end it was nice to see my favorit dev pull thru.

Now if you'll excuse me...

*Picks up Bat*

I have some work to do.

brodie21

Apr 6, 2009
Jumpingbean3 said:
brodie21 said:
R4di4ti0n. said:
brodie21 said:
bioware should have won. valve only released one game last year and bioware released two great games.
But valve released an entire games worth of content as DLC for free in their games. Best community support out there.
better than the entire game of mass effect 2? for that matter, why are they futzing around with DLC when they could be working on the next half life? what's with that?
Well when they were making L4D2 I'm told they had one team working on L4D2 and another working on EP3. Maybe it's the same with TF2. Also I know it's been at least 3 years now but going on about EP3 isn't going to get it released any quicker. Remember, Valve may be slow but they DO release their games. We're talking about Valve here not 3D Realms.
true

brodie21

Apr 6, 2009
R4di4ti0n. said:
brodie21 said:
R4di4ti0n. said:
brodie21 said:
R4di4ti0n. said:
brodie21 said:
R4di4ti0n. said:
brodie21 said:
bioware should have won. valve only released one game last year and bioware released two great games.
But valve released an entire games worth of content as DLC for free in their games. Best community support out there.
better than the entire game of mass effect 2? for that matter, why are they futzing around with DLC when they could be working on the next half life? what's with that?
Because they want to continue to make their great games even better while they work on all of their other projects. Valve is not a company who needs to overflow the market and rape our wallets with sequel after sequel. HL:Ep3 will get here soon enough, and HL3 sometime after that, but until then ill continue to sink hundreds of hours into TF2 and L4D.

And as far as ME2... other than the dumbed down RPG mechanics, the tedious and fruitless planet scanning, and the constant crashes and clipping bugs it was a great game.
but wasnt the whole point of episodic half lifes being that they would come out more often?
More accurately, it was to make games come out more often. Which we have seen. Since the launch of Ep1 in 2006 we have seen a total of 6 games (Ep1, Ep2, Portal, TF2, L4D, L4D2)in 4 years. Pretty impressive, if you ask me. And counting in this years release (hopefully, See: Valve Time) of Portal 2, that makes 7 total games in a matter of 4.5 years. Not bad considering in the 6 years between HL and HL2 we saw almost nothing official in the HL universe, and only TFC, DoD and CS and their respective Source upgrades. HL:OP, HL:BS, and CS:CZ do not count as they were developed by Gearbox (borderlands).
i was thinking more in terms of just half life, but if you care to check, BioWare released 6 games in four years, and since you counted the future release of Portal 2, Bioware will release Dragon Age 2 on Feb. 1st 2011. which brings the tally to about even.
I wasnt comparing the releases on Bioware vs. Valve, we know who won that battle. I was stating that by making the HL games episodic they did increase the number games they were able to release per year. You know, in order to counter your point.
and i was countering yours. my point was that bioware was able to release the same amount of games as valve and still develop mass effect 3 within 3 years

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
Whoo! I'm not a big fan of Valve. But I'm glad we all conquered Zynga.

And I can see why others are big fans. Especially why PC gamers love Valve.

I still voted Bioware, despite them dumbing down the game mechanics for Mass Effect 2. But they kept gameplay in Dragon Age deep.

Oh, and post "Still Alive" and you'll feel my wrath.
This was the hardest I had to choose between developers but I had to go with [bValve[/b] for introducing me to PC gaming...

Oh and do you mean

PunchClockVillain

Oct 3, 2009
So how many more months until the next round of Zynga bashing and titty posts? I jest.
Good game all participants, and congrats to Valve.

ahiddenfigure

Hunter of Monsters
Sep 14, 2009
Congrats to Valve on the win[footnote]and helping me win my shiny new badge![/footnote], and condolences to BioWare. You both deserved to win.

I wonder if Steam will react to this... Sale anyone?

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Sacman said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Whoo! I'm not a big fan of Valve. But I'm glad we all conquered Zynga.

And I can see why others are big fans. Especially why PC gamers love Valve.

I still voted Bioware, despite them dumbing down the game mechanics for Mass Effect 2. But they kept gameplay in Dragon Age deep.

Oh, and post "Still Alive" and you'll feel my wrath.
This was the hardest I had to choose between developers but I had to go with [bValve[/b] for introducing me to PC gaming...

Oh and do you mean
I like you. I like that song.

Darth_Dude

Jul 11, 2008
brodie21 said:
R4di4ti0n. said:
brodie21 said:
Yes I think Bioware should've won too, but be happy that Zynga didn't win right?

Comma-Kazie

Sep 2, 2009
I was rooting for Bioware myself, but Valve does have a lot going for them. Hell, I would have given them my vote if they could turn out more than one game every few years.

brodie21

Apr 6, 2009
Ultratwinkie said:
brodie21 said:
Ultratwinkie said:
brodie21 said:
but those two were the same in story. so they both released ONE game.
no, they released TWO games with different gameplay. in which instances were Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age: Origins the exact same? be specific, because i will be checking
in the story.

you collect a set number of plot devices (characters, armies, etc) then you do the final battle. both games have a mechanism of loyalty quests which gives you a better ending ( sten gets his sword and returns to his people, etc).
really, so that makes the story the exact same then? right down to the part where an ancient race of machines wipes out civilizations every fifty thousand years? or how about the part where the race of midgets makes men out of stone, i like how shepard handled that situation, dont you?

brodie21

Apr 6, 2009
Darth_Dude said:
brodie21 said:
R4di4ti0n. said:
brodie21 said:
Yes I think Bioware should've won too, but be happy that Zynga didn't win right?
WTF is Zynga?