Valve Cut Nausea-Inducing Wall-Walking Gel From Portal 2, Reveals Writer

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Fleaman said:
"These games", though, isn't referring to first-person shooters here. Most FPSes are shooty, with the high-intensity action being the main draw. Portal, however, is a thinky game. Even feeble RPG-players with three second reaction time can enjoy Portal's thinkiness.[/quote]

If anything, that just makes it worse. Portal isn't just an FPS, it's a physics based puzzle solver. For something that is entirely about dealing with crazy concepts involving motion, this is exactly the type of thing that shouldn't be excluded.

I'd understand if it simply didn't test well as a game mechanic, but if it genuinely made for some interesting puzzles, screw the people who can't handle a little disorientation, that's where the concept of portal excels.

Can't say I'm surprised anyways, it's been a while but I remember the first Portal as being a far more challenging game in general, Portal 2 was enjoyable, but geared utterly and consistently to your average joe This is just another example of them mainstreaming the game as much as possible. Good business decision for them, disappointing game for me.

Neonit

Dec 24, 2008
that didnt help! around chapter 6/7 (i dont remember) there was this section where i walked on about 60 degree rotating wall. after a while i had no idea where ceiling was. i got a bit nauseous. it was a funny expe.... test though :p

(i was pretty surprised though, the last time i had problem with that was during MDK2 final boss fight. and i was just a little kid back then)

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
I'm in the minority here I guess. I've always likes simulator rides that threw perception / orientation out the window. Has anyone ever been to simulator rides before (ex.. theaters that show a first person view of falling off a cliff and winding through caverns)? Even though the seats didn't move(though some had that feature), your body reacted as if you were on a roller coaster.

Maybe they'll have nausea inducing dlc... the good kind.

jamesworkshop

Sep 3, 2008
Interesting I thought they didn't included it because to me it seemed a bit redundent when you could simply place a portal high up a wall than have any need to walk up it.

half the games i play are fps so im glad that i don't get sick from that perspective

Optimus Hagrid

Feb 14, 2009
Ah screw you Valve, wall-walking was going to be one of the awesome features in that FPS I would like to design in the future but probably won't.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
For someone that has been gaming all my life, this has never been a problem for me. As such, this is really disappointing, that would have been epic!! DLC plz?

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
it's funny cuz I really only experience some motion sickness (runs in my family on my dad's side, altho while passed down to me it's only minor) in certain FPS games
I rarely experience motion sickness playing FPS games like Halo and CoD, but more so with Half-Life 2 and Fallout 3 if I play too long

Portal...funny, only when I'm just running around aimlessly and confused (it happens). when I'm actually doing puzzles flipping and flying around like crazy, I'm good

Hijax

Jun 1, 2009
The fact that this seems to be so considerate/nice of valve probably says a bit about the industry

Temah

Dec 5, 2010
I think it's good that they they're concerned about the players wellbeing, works on restoring their image after the dlc rage, still, wall-gel as an optional dlc for those who want it would be nice.

vivster

Oct 16, 2010
so a 90° camera twist is more sickness inducing than a 180° camera twist(which are quite common in portal)
don't give me that
portal is hell of disorienting anyway through the portals alone

now you HAVE to make a sequel and give me my wall walking gel

Flamma Man

Jul 23, 2009
Sober Thal said:
Thanks for cutting that out of the game Valve, and all the levels for the spheres too.

Thanks a lot.
Every time I see you it sounds as if VALVe personally killed your first born son. Seriously, stop acting so god damn entilted, they had their resoning of getting rid of this perticular gel that many would agree with as seen in some comments above.

Shit, it's already disorenting playing as the Alien in AvP, what would make this any different?

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
Nausea has never really been a problem for me in games. Would be nice to have seen this though :\

EllEzDee

Nov 29, 2010
Bretty said:
Says a lot about Valve really. Look at this scenario and think of some Dev houses would be thrilled by this:

Play tester starts going white after 20 minutes of wall walking/jumping and bouncing.

5 minutes later..... BLUUUURGH!!!
What do you mean "says a lot about Valve"? That they'll cut content that has a negative effect on the audience? Wow, that's an amazing feat. Well done Valve!

The Harkinator

Did something happen?
Jun 2, 2010
I admit I did get mild motion sickness playing Portal 2. Luckily I couldn't do the testchamber so I went back a while later and as always I completed the chamber on the first attempt (that happens for everyone else right? you get stuck, stop playing then when you start playing again you get the problem on your first go)

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
The only FPS game where you could walk on walls that I've played is Alien Versus Predator 2.
I often got easily lost when running around the walls. But still, i suppose it could have been quite cool to put it in Portal 2.

Though i don't think I've ever become dizzy become of a First Person game... But maybe i just can't remember it at the moment.

Croaker42

Feb 5, 2009
I just don't know what I would do with a 4th gel.
Shit would blow my mind.
Like bleeding ears kind of thing.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011

So this is why we aren't having a Descent title any time soon, hmmm?

Electrogecko

Apr 15, 2010
I much prefer 3rd person for this reason and the extra visibility and perspective. I don't know how well Portal could work with a behind the back view, but I imagine not too well. Every time you enter a portal, the camera would either have to jump forward or delay showing you your new perspective for a few moments.

Plus, with constant changes in acceleration, the camera would have to be doing circles around your character to show your path.