Valve Cut Nausea-Inducing Wall-Walking Gel From Portal 2, Reveals Writer

Nesco Nomen

Apr 13, 2010
LOL but TF2 has the fastest pace. Did u try lowering mouse sensitivity, lowering contrast.
Maybe VSYNC + tripple-buffering

Also SGSSAA antialiasing can really stabilize picture and is usable in Source

beema

Aug 19, 2009
I get mild motion sickness from playing HL2 and also from the original Half-Life.
None of the other Source games seem to do it to me though, for some reason.

I think I tend to get it more from old shooters more than new ones (Deus Ex, system shock, other games of that era).

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Logan Westbrook said:
I think you and I should conversate about your unfortunate use of the word "disorientate." Irregardless of the fact that many people usage-ify this word in an incorrectful way, you're in a more respecticated position. This means the way in which you choosicate your words bearifies increasified scrutificationalism.

Mathak

The Tax Man Cometh
Mar 27, 2009
'We implemented a feature that had our control group puking their guts out, so we scrapped it.'
'OMG vALVE! Why u make game casual? Wft is this mainstream shit? Back in my day we puked at every 2nd loading screen and we liked it! Cause it was HARDCORE! Raglblarg!'

Plurralbles

Jan 12, 2010
CardinalPiggles said:
ah man, that would have been awesome.

maybe they should have put it in for people that wanted it, and gave an option to skip such chambers involving it.
now that would be a legitimate way to go in creating actually useful DLC.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
I totally understand this and am somewhat grateful. I very rarely get sick playing a game but there's a section in Portal 2 were you climb a very steep slope that for some reason made me feel queesy. I think it was probably also a combination of an inclosed space and being disorianted from a weirdly placed portal but still. If I'd been walking on cielings I don't doubt I would have created a funny looking gel of my own.

vivster

Oct 16, 2010
Nesco Nomen said:
vivster said:
so a 90° camera twist is more sickness inducing than a 180° camera twist(which are quite common in portal)
don't give me that
uhmm actually yes it is.

180 is just an upside down and it doesnt care about clockwise and counterclockwise, its just needs a 180 turn.

90 turn OTOH...
then again to the main subject
it's not really cool to be restraint in the creative process just to consider some minority
it would not have been the first game that would've fucked with our orientation
also portal is absolute no game to rush... so there shouldn't be any sickness since you have all time in the world to orient yourself

i just feel bad that my fun is being held back just to appease a group of people i haven't even met in my life nor care about

Taxman1

Sep 14, 2009
This is great, now I don't have to worry about vomiting all over my monitor when I pick up Portal 2.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Dastardly said:
Logan Westbrook said:
I think you and I should conversate about your unfortunate use of the word "disorientate." Irregardless of the fact that many people usage-ify this word in an incorrectful way, you're in a more respecticated position. This means the way in which you choosicate your words bearifies increasified scrutificationalism.
Ok, I have no idea what you're talking about.

unoleian

Jul 2, 2008
You'd think that Portal would be disorienting and quease-inducing, but I find it plays so smoothly that this has never been an issue, at least for me. Okay, maybe disorienting-- landing out of a portal and trying my damndest to look up from the floor, only to realize I'm actually looking at the ceiling...
Strangely, the First-Person game that's given me the worst (and really only) cases of motion-sickness was one of the more sedate titles-- Morrowind. I don't know if it was my clunky framerate or the FOV or something else entirely, but that game would start me reeling if I played longer than an hour at a time, to the point I had to go lie down to stop the spinning. Go figure?

kane.malakos

Jan 7, 2011
Logan Westbrook said:
Dastardly said:
Logan Westbrook said:
While disorientate is technically a word, just "disorient" is generally preferred.

Malgan

Jun 23, 2009
They should've included it and made it greenish-brown, so it matches the stuff covering your carpet.

On a more serious note, the gels that were already in were more than enough. Had enough troubles navigating through the white stuff as it was xD

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Logan Westbrook said:
Dastardly said:
Logan Westbrook said:
Just nitpicking at you... the verb is "disorient." We more frequently use the noun "disorientation," which people artificially re-shorten to the fake verb "disorientate." People do the same thing all the time with "conversate" instead of "converse," because of how often we use the word "conversation."

Yeah, techinically it's 'in the dictionary,' but almost always noted as a mistaken alternative for disorient (from roots meaning "remove East"). It would be like looking at the word "satisfaction" and thinking that the verb is "satisfactate" or something.

TL;DR: Just bein' a dick, and I love Portal 2 even without the upchuck gel.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
kane.malakos said:
While disorientate is technically a word, just "disorient" is generally preferred.
Dastardly said:
Just nitpicking at you... the verb is "disorient." We more frequently use the noun "disorientation," which people artificially re-shorten to the fake verb "disorientate." People do the same thing all the time with "conversate" instead of "converse," because of how often we use the word "conversation."

Yeah, techinically it's 'in the dictionary,' but almost always noted as a mistaken alternative for disorient (from roots meaning "remove East"). It would be like looking at the word "satisfaction" and thinking that the verb is "satisfactate" or something.

TL;DR: Just bein' a dick, and I love Portal 2 even without the upchuck gel.
Depends on where you're from.

niceguy191

Mar 11, 2010
KDR_11k said:
Nausea? Pah, I grew up playing Descent as my first FPS.
I read this thread just to see if someone mentioned those games :D Not sure how many hours I spent playing Descent and Descent 2... Those and Duke3d were my first real FPS experiences

13lackfriday

Feb 10, 2009
I want a 4-D motion-simulator version of Portal, where whichever direction you're in in the game is mimicked in a 360-degree horizontal/vertical-rotating gyroscopic crash chair.

How's that for nauseous?