Valve Cut Nausea-Inducing Wall-Walking Gel From Portal 2, Reveals Writer

Nesco Nomen

Apr 13, 2010
vivster said:
so a 90° camera twist is more sickness inducing than a 180° camera twist(which are quite common in portal)
don't give me that
uhmm actually yes it is.

180 is just an upside down and it doesnt care about clockwise and counterclockwise, its just needs a 180 turn.

90 turn OTOH...

Xyless

Nov 14, 2007
I've worked on a game with physics changing similar to that, and I must say, it's not as much the sickness from awkward motion that gets you, it's the difficulty of the brain interpreting direction once it's trying to think on an "incorrect" plane. Especially once it gets to the walls (since ceilings are just upside-down). It's incredibly disorienting, and working it in with portals would just destroy all sense of direction...in a bad way.

snave

Nov 10, 2009
Shame. Like the diversity chutes vs turrets puzzles, this would've been a welcome addition, something that requires some different skills (dexterity, true 3d spatial thinking). I respect them for removing these bits from the core game -- that's a very responsible response to accessibility needs -- but think they'd still make nice DLC additions, or would've made for nice optional branching paths to some of the hidden/achievement locales.

SFR

Mar 26, 2009
Dammit, Valve! What's with you and Portal 2's director commentary? You never even mentioned this. I was pretty disappointed with the commentary, as there would sometimes be several chambers at a time with no nodes at all. There were definitely places you could have put them. You didn't even mention anything about light bridges, lasers, and elevators in terms of technical problems and the reasons for their creation. Great game, but I wanted to learn more about it. The director commentary is something I'd like to see in more video games.

Flamma Man

Jul 23, 2009
SFR said:
Dammit, Valve! What's with you and Portal 2's director commentary? You never even mentioned this.
No, one of the original TAG: The Power of Paint devs talks about how they didn't include this gel.

gunner1905

Jun 18, 2010
they could always put this into advanced chambers and give it to us later like portal 1 so I'm just waiting for that to happen

hurry up valve, hurry up

tahrey

Sep 18, 2009
I am SO glad it's not just me who suffers from this (though it's never been quite so bad as it was - and still is - with Doom). I will have to show my brother this article as he swears I'm the only one who suffers it...

Shame though, to have to cut something like that for everyone. Maybe it can be restored in a DLC side-mission?

RadiusXd

Jun 2, 2010
Jadak said:
Fleaman said:
If anything, that just makes it worse. Portal isn't just an FPS, it's a physics based puzzle solver. For something that is entirely about dealing with crazy concepts involving motion, this is exactly the type of thing that shouldn't be excluded.

I'd understand if it simply didn't test well as a game mechanic, but if it genuinely made for some interesting puzzles, screw the people who can't handle a little disorientation, that's where the concept of portal excels.

Can't say I'm surprised anyways, it's been a while but I remember the first Portal as being a far more challenging game in general, Portal 2 was enjoyable, but geared utterly and consistently to your average joe This is just another example of them mainstreaming the game as much as possible. Good business decision for them, disappointing game for me.
this, very much this.

the whole point of a puzzle is to get you thinking. having more easier puzzles will eventually boil into tedium.

-Torchedini-

Gone Bonzo
Dec 28, 2009
Tag is nice. Only annoying thing is then when you walk on a wall the camera moves along. Thats what gets me sick. But you cant turn it off sadly enough

If you just could turn that off so when you switch to another wall then it would be fine I guess

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
I see their reasoning... but as a person who doesn't suffer from motion sickness, I'd really like to play those chambers. I can only hope they're released as an expansion pack with a warning on it.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
ace_of_something said:
I know I haven't had motion sickness problems with FPS since they switched to polygons instead of sprites.
Except Mirrors Edge that game gave me a headache.
Everyone had a headache when playing Mirror's Edge.

Also Alien vs Predator, playing as Alien. Holy crap.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
It is interesting how many people here who are insensitive to those who do experience pronounced disorientation and motion sickness from a game. Frankly this kind of attitude doesn't belong in anyone's psyche. How many of you might have a friend or family member who might get dizzy or sick from certain games? Are you so willing to just tell them not to bother? Why should they be playing games at all if it makes them ill? Hell let's just keep games for certain people, screw the rest.
Hell no. Gaming should be for everyone with the desire and freetime to do so. I applaud Valve for making considerations like these. It says a lot more about Valve than it does for every movie studio with a hardon for 3D that those who get motion sickness and dizziness from that experience have less of an experience. Add that to the fact that most likely a 2D version wouldn't be available in the area.
Portal 2 came out just right in my opinion, and there is plenty of opportunity to experience new challenges when the SDK comes out and custom content is made. We have only touched the tip of the iceberg with the three gels. It will be up to us to really seize advantage of what they can offer.

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
They should have changed the colour for the portal gel, fucking thing gave me a massive headache when I had to spray it all over the place.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
It would be nice if they released a DLC of this, I mean its a good idea to remove from the main game as even people with motion sickness will want to complete it but as a option it would be a great addition.

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
Hmmm... could have been an interesting mechanic. I know for one that I wouldn't have gotten motion sickness, I play to well as a Xenomorph on AVP to feel that anymore.

EDIT:
Abedeus said:
ace_of_something said:

Also Alien vs Predator, playing as Alien. Holy crap.
Holy crap indeed, but once you got it down, you were a speeding bullet, and a really fun one to play as.

Nesco Nomen

Apr 13, 2010
What would be next? Minecraft cubes?
Frankly I think wall walking gel would not add anything new.
Already there are plenty, if not too many means to reach a particular surface other then walking.
It would just be an overkill, with potential to alienate some of the base.

And I think one of Portal 2 fortes is uniting so many different profile gamers.

WolfEdge

Oct 22, 2008
It's funny for me because Valve games ALWAYS give me a headache. It's the strangest thing ever. There isn't a single other developer or game that can give me a migraine, but anything from Valve (except TF2) absolutely decimates my poor head.

It makes playing their games a fucking difficult task.