Valve Ends Steam's Controversial Paid Mod Program

Conrad Zimmerman

Dec 24, 2013
Valve Ends Steam's Controversial Paid Mod Program

Valve backs away from an enraged modding community.

A mere four days after allowing mod creators to sell their work [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/140575-Valve-Announces-Paid-Skyrim-Mods] on Steam Marketplace, Valve has done an about face and removed the feature from Steam. Following a discussion between Valve and Bethesda, users who have already purchased mods for Skyrim, the first (and seemingly only) game to have featured paid mods, will be receiving a full refund for those purchases.

The decision to create a paid mod marketplace was met with considerable criticism from mod creators and users alike, with concerns ranging from fear that capitalizing mods would damage the mod community to the profit share which saw creators receiving only 25% of revenue from sales. A Change.org petition collected more than 130,000 signatures [https://www.change.org/p/valve-remove-the-paid-content-of-the-steam-workshop] from people opposed to Valve's move over the weekend.

The announcement was made by Valve's Alden Kroll, who explained some of the logic behind the decision to offer paid mods, noting the company's prior success with revenue sharing programs for community creators in their own games. Kroll states that Valve, "underestimated the differences between our previously successful revenue sharing models, and the addition of paid mods to Skyrim's workshop," noting that, "stepping into an established, years old modding community in Skyrim was probably not the right place to start iterating."

Of course, that statement does leave the door open for other games in the future. Kroll also comments that Valve, "believe there's a useful feature somewhere here," which likely means community created mods for a price could yet return to Steam at some point, but they seem to have learned their lesson about getting involved in an entrenched community such as the one Skyrim has.

Source: Bethesda Blog [http://steamcommunity.com/games/SteamWorkshop/announcements/detail/208632365253244218]

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
What I bunch of fucking cowards. I've lost all respect for Valve.

Seriously though, I'm happy about this.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
tf2godz said:
All I have to said is....

bitching and moaning does work, we need to do more bitching and moaning
The thing is, this was a unifying cause. There will always be people bitching and moaning about the crap Ubi, EA, or Activision tries to do...but there's just as many people who just don't really care about micro-transactions or DRM and don't see them as a big deal. Messing with the modding community - on Skyrim, of all games - was clearly a line that should not have been crossed. As I said: it united the community which made the backlash swift and merciless.

I still say that modders deserve to get paid for all the time and effort they put into creating things we all enjoy, but the system Steam had set up was absolutely atrocious. Try it again with a "tip jar" system so people can support their favorite modders - if they so choose - by tossing them some money in appreciation would be better...but even then, there's still the legal can of worms that gets knocked over by the very premise of getting paid for mods.

Sardonac

Dec 16, 2007
Dang. I was hoping they'd keep the store and just improve on its weaknesses. Alas, we remain in a silver age of modding. I hope they consult with the community in the next few months and bring a version of it back, perhaps with a more progressive implementation.

rcs619

Mar 26, 2011
Daymn, I hope Valve didn't go and break their ankles doing all of that backpedaling.

Hopefully now, without the actual implementation of this system looming over our heads, people can have a discussion about paid mods with a little less knee-jerk. Being totally real, there *are* some modders that definitely deserve to be paid. They put in hours and hours of work, and coding, and everything else, into making a game better and more feature-rich.

There are also mods and modders that definitely do not deserve a dime.

The biggest issue with this whole thing was the fact that Valve has shown themselves completely incapable of policing content on their own service. There's really no real way to ensure that only worthy mods get to go premium, and that half-assed, predatory cash-grabs don't flood the system like they do with early-access and Greenlight.

Also, the fact that Valve and the game dev get a combined 75% cut only incentivizes price gouging. Any cut steam and the gave developers get should not exceed 20-30%, and I personally feel 30% is too high. The game maker already got full retail for their product, they aren't entitled to most of the derivatives profit from it as well. And, at the end of the day, Valve just runs the service. Their take should be minimal. If the service takes off they will make their bank through volume alone.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
I was almost losing faith in the Glorious Gaben, but I knew in my heart that the messiah would not truly betray us in the end.

SadisticFire

Oct 1, 2012
Sardonac said:
Dang. I was hoping they'd keep the store and just improve on its weaknesses. Alas, we remain in a silver age of modding. I hope they consult with the community in the next few months and bring a version of it back, perhaps with a more progressive implementation.
I think if this happens, it needs to happen on the modder community's terms, not Valve's. (In other words, their own storefront) since it'll just always cause issues once corporations get involved..

That being said, yay! I'm happy that it was reversed. I'm sure some mods are now lost for ever because of it when nexus authors brought their mods down, but I suppose that's better then fucking up the Fallout 4 community before it even gets started, and I can once again look forward to it with bated breath. C'mon, E3 fallout 4 announcement
RJ 17 said:
Try it again with a "tip jar" system so people can support their favorite modders - if they so choose - by tossing them some money in appreciation would be better...but even then, there's still the legal can of worms that gets knocked over by the very premise of getting paid for mods.
And this a fantastic idea. I would love to donate to modders. I usually have no credit card or debit, so I can never donate to them, but I can always get my hand on steam wallet funds either by selling various items in trading, or by activating steam gift cards.

LordMonty

Badgerlord
Jul 2, 2008
Guess they'll wait till the next Elder Scrolls and do it on launch. Always silly to do this sort of thing so many years in, will always get someone's back up.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
It's good to see they came to their senses. I do wish to see modders being compensated, but the system Valve offered was flawed in too many ways.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
Road to hell

Valve "Let's let modders get paid for their work, quest mods and stuff deserve it. Surely this won't get spammed by half-assed asset stealing creations like Greenlight was. is."
Bethesda "We want the biggest cut"
Modders "I made a mod with horse genitals and am selling it for $100"

Bix96

Oct 10, 2012
Well it looks like "we" won although I have no clue who we is at the moment but as long as valve drops this blatant scam I'm happy.
Oh and...
hehe...

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Signa said:
Phew, there IS a god!

And his name is Gaben!
Pretty su're their names are Twitter and Social Media.
Besides Gaben has already made it clear there won't be a Second Coming.

Micah Weil

Mar 16, 2009
Well, that was an exhilarating week. Maybe EA and Ubisoft will see what happened here and, next week, reverse some of their inane nonsense...

Darknacht

May 13, 2009
Signa said:
Phew, there IS a god!

And his name is Gaben!
They made it clear their still will be paid mods one Steam on day, just not for Skyrim.
StraightToHeck said:
well, that was quick

now, if only they'd be this quick about fixing Greenlight...
This is the equivalent of removing one bad greenlight game, they are still planning to implement a paid mod system.

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
This isn't over yet. they will find another way. But now we know it's coming and they know to be less idiotic about it.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
And there was much rejoicing. I was really worried that I'd have to spend 3 hours sifting through every good mod on ES Nexus and archive them for when I finally get around to playing Skyrim again.
RJ 17 said:
I still say that modders deserve to get paid for all the time and effort they put into creating things we all enjoy, but the system Steam had set up was absolutely atrocious. Try it again with a "tip jar" system so people can support their favorite modders - if they so choose - by tossing them some money in appreciation would be better...but even then, there's still the legal can of worms that gets knocked over by the very premise of getting paid for mods.
If not a "tip jar" that uses a user's Steam account for donations, Valve and other publishers could at least never bother any modder who asks for Paypal, Patreon, etc donations, if the user like the mod. I can see some execs at Zenimax getting angry about not being able to do anymore cash grabs and taking out their frustrations by picking on talented modders, who do deserve a little something every now and then. There's also all of the copyright lawyers of other forms of media, who now have an eye on the modding community's pontential to make money off of other random IPs.

Edit: Doh' I forgot to add this to the OT: With the original Xbone DRM backpedaling and this backlash, it's good to see someone taking on stupid corporate decisions that could hurt the industry. We will still have to be vigilant about a company changing their minds about either issue, though.