Valve Giving PS3 Owners Two Copies of Portal 2 For the Price of One

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Valve Giving PS3 Owners Two Copies of Portal 2 For the Price of One

Steam is coming to the PS3, and it's bringing some pretty impressive treats for Sony fans along with it.

When Valve said the PS3 version of Portal 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Portal-2-Playstation-3/dp/B003O6E3C8/ref=sr_1_2?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1295358279&sr=1-2] would be the pick of the crop [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101384-E3-2010-Valve-Goes-PS3-With-Portal-2], it really wasn't kidding. The studio, which once seemed to view the platform as an eldritch and strange thing to be avoided at all costs, has added a bunch of features to the PS3 version and is even including an extra copy of the game.

Using Valve's Steamworks platform, PS3 owners will be able to play the co-op parts of the game both with other PS3 players and with PC players. What's more, by linking their PSN and Steam accounts, PS3 owners can unlock a PC or Mac version of the game at no additional cost. Portal 2 utilizes the Steam Play functionality, meaning that progress on one version of the game applies to the other version as well, as long as the different platforms are hooked up to the internet. Valve boss Gabe Newell said that Portal 2 was just the beginning and that the company hoped to build on that base in the future with more Steam features, as well as DLC and other content releases.

Obviously, this is great news for PS3 owners, who have either had to suffer lackluster ports of Valve games, as with the Orange Box, or with them skipping the platform entirely, like the Left 4 Dead games. Being generous with games - and particularly updates to games - is a big part of why Valve enjoys such a good reputation among gamers, and this is a sure-fire way of winning back a lot of the PS3 gamers who felt slighted in the past. This news probably won't be quite as popular with Xbox 360 and PC players, however, as they will have to fork out the same amount of money as PS3 owners in exchange for significantly less content.

Portal 2 comes out for PC, Mac, PS3 and Xbox 360 in April.

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
nice to hear but what i want to know is does this offer work both ways? as in you buy the PC version and link you PSN account and get a PS3 copy of the game. if not seems a bit unfair for the other two platforms.

Nov 7, 2009
I'm not going to fly into a rage because that would just be stupid. As a 360 owner who's not hooked up to the net, I could care less that Valve and PS3 are all friendly now, but my only fear is that Valve are going to turn their back on the 360 entirely.

Still. If I ever get my Xbox hooked up hopefully Microsoft will have stopped being massive dicks by then.

USSR

Probably your average communist.
Oct 4, 2008
PSN and PC - Portal co-op?

Not sure how I feel about that.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
karloss01 said:
nice to hear but what i want to know is does this offer work both ways? as in you buy the PC version and link you PSN account and get a PS3 copy of the game. if not seems a bit unfair for the other two platforms.
I'm assuming it's a no, because that would be dependent on Sony giving away free copies of Portal 2 via PSN, and I doubt Sony will pay for the bandwidth.

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
THIS is what devs should be doing with PSN. I just might take the Valve chip off my shoulder in response to this incredible motion of detente. They, meaning Valve and Steam, really need to knuckle down and get their net code between Mac and everything else worked out. PSN-PC-MAC games would be a Geneva I've been dreaming of for years.

And, to the other platforms: please don't see this as you NOT getting that extra copy. That extra copy is DIRECT PENANCE AND PAYBACK FOR ORANGE BOX PS3. Y'all got 3 games that were done right the first time, we get two copies of the SAME GAME. Not exactly crying material, imo.

Let's call it even and hope that Valve keep Gabe in a cubicle and away from the press or boardrooms for the duration of his tenure.

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
Unabletothinkofname said:
my only fear is that Valve are going to turn their back on the 360 entirely.
Never gonna happen, don't fret.

hopefully Microsoft will have stopped being massive dicks by then.
Again, never gonna happen, don't hold your breath.

jebussaves88

May 4, 2008
I don't see it as a disadvantage for PC players at all. Why would you want it on more than one platform anyway?

I do like the news of cross platform play though. Hats off to Sony for allowing it.

KEM10

Oct 22, 2008
USSR said:

I do. Potential for L4D2 co-op, TF2 co-op, and opening the door for some AAA cross platform co-op (dare I say, the next Assassin's Creed or Call of Duty cross platform multiplayer).

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
It does seem a bit unfair if the deal doesn't work the other way around as well. You should be able to buy the PC version and get the PS3 version for free, maybe as a PSN download.

Nov 7, 2009
SaintWaldo said:
my only fear is that Valve are going to turn their back on the 360 entirely.
Never gonna happen, don't fret.
Considering I also have a gaming laptop I'm not really bovved but now that I think about it that's a dick move I don't think Valve are capable of.

SaintWaldo said:
hopefully Microsoft will have stopped being massive dicks by then.
Again, never gonna happen, don't hold your breath.
True. :/

Also, the idea of cross-platform multiplayer makes me moist excited. I have many PS3 friends and being able to play, as an above poster has said, L4D or TF2 with them sounds absolutely fucking incredible.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
USSR said:

Well then don't play with people on the PS3. What's to feel, exactly?

OT: Good deal. Valve are definitely teh best.

Enagan

Nov 2, 2009
Being a PS3 and steam account owner there is only one thing I can say..

AWESOME!

qazmatoz

Sep 17, 2009
Dexiro said:
It does seem a bit unfair if the deal doesn't work the other way around as well. You should be able to buy the PC version and get the PS3 version for free, maybe as a PSN download.
But what would be the point of doing that when you can just buy the PS3 version and get both anyways?

It seems to me that Valve is pushing to become closer with Sony, and that by encouraging sales on the Playstation 3, they strengthen their reputation on the console and make the roughly the same amount of money they would have off PC sales. Or something. Either way Valve wins in the end.

ookie37

Jul 31, 2009
nothing has ever given me more viruses or lag then having a steam account. i would not wish that on anybodies PS3. On the flip side, i do want portals.... conundrums... :(

zmanu

Nov 18, 2009
Interesting. I wonder whether coop play between the PS3 and the PC version unlocked that way will be possible. Network coop while only paying for one copy? That would be awesome. Otherwise, I don't really think linking up two online identities that closely would be a good idea.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
ookie37 said:
nothing has ever given me more viruses or lag then having a steam account. i would not wish that on anybodies PS3. On the flip side, i do want portals.... conundrums... :(
Viruses? Really? Really.

I really don't want to start a PC/console war in here, but I feel like if I leave it at that, I could get a punishment for a low content post, so here goes. It's comments like these that bring out the smug, pretentious "pc master race" posters.