Valve Giving PS3 Owners Two Copies of Portal 2 For the Price of One

Thedayrecker

Jun 23, 2010
Assassin Xaero said:
Ha! 360 gets shafted this time! I love Valve. And looks like I'm getting this on PS3 since I'll get a free copy on PC anyway.
You might want this:

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Oh my O.O

Considering that I can't take my PS3 with me to university (due to lack of TV XD), being given a free copy for my humble little MacBook Pro would be absolutely awesome!

Yay, thanks Valve, I now forgive you for your crappy version of the Orange Box on PS3 :D

[sub]But not for STILL withholding Episode 3... >.>[/sub]

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
teh_gunslinger said:
As for L4D2, I think I would prefer not to play that one with console people. The community is bad enough as it is. And there's the lack of the actual game on PS3.
wait.. what? Clear that one up please...

teh_gunslinger

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. did it better.
Dec 6, 2007
Korten12 said:
teh_gunslinger said:
As for L4D2, I think I would prefer not to play that one with console people. The community is bad enough as it is. And there's the lack of the actual game on PS3.
Oh, sorry. I might have been a bit crap when I wrote that. I just meant that for L4D2 PS3/PC co-op the game would need to be on the PS3. Unless they have released it and I completely missed it? That's possible I suppose, in which case you should just disregard that part.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
teh_gunslinger said:
Korten12 said:
teh_gunslinger said:
Oh, sorry. I might have been a bit crap when I wrote that. I just meant that for L4D2 PS3/PC co-op the game would need to be on the PS3. Unless they have released it and I completely missed it? That's possible I suppose, in which case you should just disregard that part.
Ah well that makes sense. XD

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
KEM10 said:
USSR said:
PSN and PC - Portal co-op?

Not sure how I feel about that.
I do. Potential for L4D2 co-op, TF2 co-op, and opening the door for some AAA cross platform co-op (dare I say, the next Assassin's Creed or Call of Duty cross platform multiplayer).
Sorry to break it to you, but they probably won't ever do a cross platform FPS game. They tried it with Halo, even putting decent PC gamers up against "hardcore" 360 players, they the 360 players got annihilated so bad they said it would be too embarrassing to do cross platform play.

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
This is the best news I've heard in ages, Since I have a ps3 in the house, but I also like playing on the PC. Co-op fun times ahead! :D

One nagging question, would I be able to play co-op with ps3 and pc off the same account?

RoBi3.0

Mar 29, 2009
Dexiro said:
It does seem a bit unfair if the deal doesn't work the other way around as well. You should be able to buy the PC version and get the PS3 version for free, maybe as a PSN download.
If you are a PC gamer and for some reason want two copies of Portal 2 buy it on PS3 then get your free PC copy. There really isn't a reason for it to work the other way around.

Anyways I was probably going to buy Portal 2 on my new XBOX, but now I don't really see a reason to. I like PS3 better, plus I get two copies of the game. Seems like a no brainer

All this really does is insure that owners of multiply platforms buy for the PS3. If you only have a xbox or PC I can't see this even mattering in the least bit.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Dexiro said:
It does seem a bit unfair if the deal doesn't work the other way around as well. You should be able to buy the PC version and get the PS3 version for free, maybe as a PSN download.
If you have both platforms then what would be the point of buying the PC version...

If you get the PC version free for linking your steam account to your PSN and buying the PS3 version what's the problem? There's not a loss here if you have both.

USSR

Probably your average communist.
Oct 4, 2008
Woodsey said:
Well then don't play with people on the PS3. What's to feel, exactly?
OT: Good deal. Valve are definitely teh best.
I mean, I'm not saying it's bad.
It's a very good deal.
Cross-platform multiplayer + extra copy of game for PS3 owners w/ steam accounts.

I, personally, have no knowledge of cross-platform multiplayer
Has anyone done something like this before?
If so, has it worked?

I'm sorry if that's a stupid question, but I'm just ignorant of how it all.. works.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
USSR said:
Woodsey said:
It's a very good deal.
Cross-platform multiplayer + extra copy of game for PS3 owners w/ steam accounts.

If so, has it worked?

I'm sorry if that's a stupid question, but I'm just ignorant of how it all.. works.
MS tried it with the 360 and the PC with a few games, mostly Shadowrun - it didn't go down well. They had to impair the aiming on the PC to compensate for the gamepads, and it was rahter a waste of time.

This, on the other, is co-op, not competitive multiplayer, so it shouldn't be an issue.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Wont the pc version be alot cheaper like every other game?
Also the version with most content is the version with the razer hydra, that offers additional levels and new mechanics like motion controls and scaling blocks etc.
So they pay more for less content.
[/quote]

It's still cheaper to get the PS3 version and the free PC version with the cool beans rather than buying it on the 360 AND PC.

z3rostr1fe

Aug 14, 2009
Where's our Linux Support? ;_;
(I mean, sure we are a minority. But I am already sick of using W[H]INE just to play games. Giv us sum luv...)

Hopefully, it comes in April or May, similar to when MAC support came.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Woodsey said:
USSR said:
Woodsey said:
It's a very good deal.

If so, has it worked?

MS tried it with the 360 and the PC with a few games, mostly Shadowrun - it didn't go down well. They had to impair the aiming on the PC to compensate for the gamepads, and it was rahter a waste of time.

This, on the other, is co-op, not competitive multiplayer, so it shouldn't be an issue.
Yeah, it worked out decently for FFXI users as sad as that was. PS2/360/PC compatibility right there.

WorkerMurphey

Jan 24, 2010
As a playstation player who is frequently frustrated by the apparent dominance of XBL over PSN I am pleased with finally getting some love. However, it does seem sorta odd that this functionality isn't available for both systems. I wonder if I'll be able to sell my pc version...