Valve Reveals SteamOS

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
SinisterGehe said:
I think the steam box should give all notifications as Glados.... Like when you boot to desktop "Oh it is you... again..."

I think I need to dual boot my Gaming laptop also. I said to myself- nei! I promised that I will never go linux until I need to (Because my expensive applications for work aren't supported or support any form of linux).
Also the idea of using command line to find things took my taste away. (I know they have desktops but all the linux freaks say that the command line is better)
But if this turns out well and 80% of steam games work on it then I will go for it properly on gaming laptop and just get myself a better and newer workhorse.
Just to inform you regarding the command line issue. To say you don't like it because of command line and because "it's better" as an excuse means you should stop using windows because using it's command line (cmd) is better too. That is to say, they like to just type commands weather its Linux or Windows. As far as using it with GUI like normal windows Linux can do it just as well as OSX and Windows, if not better.

aattss said:
So, basically it's Linux, associated with Steam, and made for public consumption of every-day people?
Thats what it looks like, we need more information to say much beyond that.

LAGG

Jun 23, 2011
Laughing Man said:
Well, they announced it less than three hours ago. Give them a minute.
Yes you're right, the reality is this won't change a thing. End of the day it will just become another Linux Distro used by a minor number of people who will continue to dual boot with whatever version of Windows they choose to use. You'll have the die hards who will talk it up like it's the best thing they have ever used, you'll have their opposite number who think it's just a pointless waste of time (I guess I sit in that camp) and then you'll have the vast majority who will just want whatever is the easiest thing to use and end of the day that will be the Windows powered system.

As for the Steambox itself, well to be honest having the VP of one company spend several months moaning about a rival and then have them release a piece of hardware that fundamentally requires the services of the company that he has just spent all this time complaining about to work fully, it's not what wins respect.
A free boost in performance, framerate, graphics, loading times and input response time is never a waste of time. Windows is not a gaming-dedicated OS.

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
ReleGamer said:
I am very interested to see how the "SteamBox" and "SteamOS" compete with the coming generation of console gaming. The freedom of both the OS and hardware could mean a more flexible and affordable way for you to game in your living room. I know there are already PC builds out there that accomplish this, but having a dedicated OS in place could simplify the process and really compete with Microsoft and Sony.
What I am really curious about is what market is really going to adapt to something like a SteamBox/SteamOS for I remember the outcry against Microsoft with the features they were talking about with the Xbox One with requiring online handshakes every 24 hours, the ability not to resell games, unable to give a friend your copy of a game, less emphasis on disk based content making it more digital. All those concerns are what Steam is about and I can't see a person who has a console is going to be interested in those features when they were abandoning Microsoft when they mentioned they were included. Maybe I am reading it wrong.

Personally I have a HTPC setup using a desktop case already so I don't have any need to stream my games from my Windows PC to a box sitting under my TV so something like this isn't for me. If they are able to solve the DirectX/OpenGL limitations of Linux and getting more developers to make their games compatible with Linux I will have more interest in giving it a try for really gaming is the reason why I use a Windows based PC right now.

makano

Nov 23, 2009
I wonder if its going to see a 3.0 version before it goes to ground for 7 years.

My opinion is it looks good if they can deliver all the features promised now i got to see if i want to invest in one for my new place next year.

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
Valve tend to be very consumer-friendly with these things, so provided it's as good as Windows and can run plenty of games, this will be a very good thing for us.

Plus, I'm happy seeing that I might not have to switch to the ugly Windows 8 mobile interface eventually.

ReleGamer

Sep 24, 2013
Sanunes said:
ReleGamer said:
I am very interested to see how the "SteamBox" and "SteamOS" compete with the coming generation of console gaming. The freedom of both the OS and hardware could mean a more flexible and affordable way for you to game in your living room. I know there are already PC builds out there that accomplish this, but having a dedicated OS in place could simplify the process and really compete with Microsoft and Sony.
What I am really curious about is what market is really going to adapt to something like a SteamBox/SteamOS for I remember the outcry against Microsoft with the features they were talking about with the Xbox One with requiring online handshakes every 24 hours, the ability not to resell games, unable to give a friend your copy of a game, less emphasis on disk based content making it more digital. All those concerns are what Steam is about and I can't see a person who has a console is going to be interested in those features when they were abandoning Microsoft when they mentioned they were included. Maybe I am reading it wrong.

Personally I have a HTPC setup using a desktop case already so I don't have any need to stream my games from my Windows PC to a box sitting under my TV so something like this isn't for me. If they are able to solve the DirectX/OpenGL limitations of Linux and getting more developers to make their games compatible with Linux I will have more interest in giving it a try for really gaming is the reason why I use a Windows based PC right now.
The comparison in attitudes towards DRM is interesting. I think it would sit easier with the consumers though. From what i am seeing the SteamBox could be a piece of kit that compliments your existing system and Steam Library. Also the possibility of third party hardware/configurations using SteamOS could bring a high fidelity, plug n' play gaming console that is cost effective (whilst also sharing games across your account). I'm interested to see how it develops as it is certainly early days.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
And here this may get me to try yet another linux based product. Already loving android, and while i hated the regular linux system ,this sounds promising.
BUt they have to really do well to make us jump ship and not just dualboot. But then, HL3 as launch title and the world will stop spinnign for a day.

Nocturnus said:
The only thing I have to ask is... why?
Because windows 8. Notch hates windows 8 with a passion. So what he does? he creates his own OS.

Deathlyphil said:
[3] Windows cruft, forcing you to reinstall every 6 months or so to ensure proper efficiency.

The only reason I'm still using Windows as my main OS is because I have about 150 games on Steam.
To be honest they got a lot better about it. I reinstall my Win7 only once 1.5 years or so and not because it trashes itself either. While it does have some bloat its way less than XP and previuos versions.
As for steam games, im not sure you aware but those games that have a linux version, you can install linux version from steam even if you bought windows version.

Lilani said:
Hm, I was really hoping for a separate console that can run Steam games, so I wouldn't have to worry about my PC outdating so soon. But maybe more will come in the second announcement.
BUy new console every... 7 years?
or
buy new PC every 5 years and have a lot more control.
I think thats a fair trade-off. you dont ahve to update PC every year you know.

sirjeffofshort said:
I am absolutely that middle market haha. My steam library is huge but I mainly have to use a Mac for work, so I can only play a few of the titles. I've been waiting to see what moves Valve makes in this regard before setting out on buying a PC of my own because, as someone who doesn't really have the time to dedicate to staying on top of the research and tech necessary to ensure the best of the best, the task just seems so daunting.
but do you have to be best of the best? or would a adequate off-the-shelf pre-built PC that works for 5 years without problems as lnog as you dont decide to "boost" it and has enough power to plow though the next generation games be enough? Building PCs is like collecting stamps. some people like to do it, but you dont have to. you can use stamps without being a collector.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
Valve says "SteamOS machines" will offer a number of new features that have a focus on living room-based gaming. The biggest is probably the ability to stream Windows and Mac games from your standard PC to your SteamOS device
I was excited until I read this. You will still need Windows or Mac to run the games. Was I wrong in hoping it would be an entirely new OS?

9thRequiem

Sep 21, 2010
008Zulu said:
Andy Chalk said:
Valve says "SteamOS machines" will offer a number of new features that have a focus on living room-based gaming. The biggest is probably the ability to stream Windows and Mac games from your standard PC to your SteamOS device
I was excited until I read this. You will still need Windows or Mac to run the games. Was I wrong in hoping it would be an entirely new OS?
Well, this box will be able to natively run any game that can run on Linux. And by "any", I mean both of them.

Interesting idea, but basically flawed. If enough things could run on Linux, then maybe. But after the results of my previous attempt to use Linux went badly, and the fact that I need my PC for things other than games, I still wouldn't go for it.
I just think that there's too much impetus behind Windows for developers to want to switch. On top of that, the streaming functionality doesn't need the hardware it has.

Kingbingo

Mar 17, 2013
Right now I trust Value and Steam, so I will buy a steambox with a GladOS and see what experience they deliver.

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
My PC is directly connected to my TV via HDMI. Why would I need your stuff valve?
Ah right I don't...

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
Given the progression their company is taking with building more gaming friendly options for people to make use of, I definitely see this potentially becoming an Operating system for console like PCs and getting a good sized audience. With windows becoming a closed garden bit by bit, I don't doubt that we will need something like this.

Pinguin

Aug 15, 2009
Nice work Valve!

As a Linux gamer, I've been appreciating the growing Steam library in recent months*, and this can only further the cause.

*To the 'hardly-any-games-run-on-Linux' sayers: of my modest library of 123 games, 60 now run under Linux. And these were purchased mostly before Steam for Linux came out, previously run either under WINE or on windows. I think I've only bought two knowing they worked on Linux)

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
RicoADF said:
SinisterGehe said:
I think the steam box should give all notifications as Glados.... Like when you boot to desktop "Oh it is you... again..."

I think I need to dual boot my Gaming laptop also. I said to myself- nei! I promised that I will never go linux until I need to (Because my expensive applications for work aren't supported or support any form of linux).
Also the idea of using command line to find things took my taste away. (I know they have desktops but all the linux freaks say that the command line is better)
But if this turns out well and 80% of steam games work on it then I will go for it properly on gaming laptop and just get myself a better and newer workhorse.
Just to inform you regarding the command line issue. To say you don't like it because of command line and because "it's better" as an excuse means you should stop using windows because using it's command line (cmd) is better too. That is to say, they like to just type commands weather its Linux or Windows. As far as using it with GUI like normal windows Linux can do it just as well as OSX and Windows, if not better.
Dude... I worked with 10 linux nerds - and when I mean nerds - imagine those people who dress in linux gear and have it on their tablets and phones.
They tried to convert me and said the best way to use it is with the command line... But being dyslexic I prefer visual interface. And yes they said visual interfaces are available as an "addon" (Note I know there are fuck ton of different linuxs OS with variety to rival coral reefs)

I just don't like the idea of launching programs, findings files and doing other task that can be done with a click of an mouse - by typing a line of code to a small console at the bottom of the screen.

I know there are better linuxes for certain use. Like my rendering computer runs on linux because then I can allocate 99% of the computer to rendering cutting hours.

Also saying Linux does GUI better than MAC or W is stupid... Because I hate W8 and am totally fucking lost when using MACs. I prefer WXP interface even to 7.
It is like saying that you like the blue drawers with silver handles and I the black ones with gold plated ones.

EstrogenicMuscle

Sep 7, 2012
No matter who Valve is competing with, this is huge. They're clearly doing something that cause major change in the industry.

I had reservations that Valve would actually go this far. But now that this is announced, they clearly have.
Anyone who isn't a GNU purist should at least rejoice that Linux is getting better.

There's... way too much software for Windows that I can't abandon. But I can't be against Valve for going into such territory. From the look of things, they're competing against both consoles and Windows. And no one has yet been able to defeat Windows.

I just don't what Valve are going to do to be able to get significant support for their platform without DirectX. I know there is streaming, but SteamOS won't take off with just streaming alone. And just how many Steam games work on Linux as of right now and aren't developed specifically for DirectX?

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
Ishigami said:
My PC is directly connected to my TV via HDMI. Why would I need your stuff valve?
Ah right I don't...
I thought it was very clear: "Valve claims its new OS offers "significant performance increases in graphics processing," and says it is also working on improving audio performance and input latency."

If this is true, you don't need it, but games will perform better on it, the same with any incremental upgrade ever. I for one am very curious to see how it performs on the wild.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
SinisterGehe said:
Dude... I worked with 10 linux nerds - and when I mean nerds - imagine those people who dress in linux gear and have it on their tablets and phones.
They tried to convert me and said the best way to use it is with the command line... But being dyslexic I prefer visual interface. And yes they said visual interfaces are available as an "addon" (Note I know there are fuck ton of different linuxs OS with variety to rival coral reefs)

I just don't like the idea of launching programs, findings files and doing other task that can be done with a click of an mouse - by typing a line of code to a small console at the bottom of the screen.

I know there are better linuxes for certain use. Like my rendering computer runs on linux because then I can allocate 99% of the computer to rendering cutting hours.

Also saying Linux does GUI better than MAC or W is stupid... Because I hate W8 and am totally fucking lost when using MACs. I prefer WXP interface even to 7.
It is like saying that you like the blue drawers with silver handles and I the black ones with gold plated ones.
As I said, you don't need to touch command lines at all, you can install and use 100% via mouse and keyboard like windows and mac. It's been years since Ive typed any command lines, it works 100% in GUI now (on desktop linux distros).
Sounds like you do use linux at times atleast. For desktop might I suggest linux mint, best alternate for windows imo.

EDIT: To clarify does GUI better than Windows comment, I wasn't refering to looks/colour, but rather than its simple to use and you can even get programs with a few clicks. No stuffing around with 3rd party clients or install discs.