Valve Reveals SteamOS

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
RicoADF said:
SinisterGehe said:
Dude... I worked with 10 linux nerds - and when I mean nerds - imagine those people who dress in linux gear and have it on their tablets and phones.
They tried to convert me and said the best way to use it is with the command line... But being dyslexic I prefer visual interface. And yes they said visual interfaces are available as an "addon" (Note I know there are fuck ton of different linuxs OS with variety to rival coral reefs)

I just don't like the idea of launching programs, findings files and doing other task that can be done with a click of an mouse - by typing a line of code to a small console at the bottom of the screen.

I know there are better linuxes for certain use. Like my rendering computer runs on linux because then I can allocate 99% of the computer to rendering cutting hours.

Also saying Linux does GUI better than MAC or W is stupid... Because I hate W8 and am totally fucking lost when using MACs. I prefer WXP interface even to 7.
It is like saying that you like the blue drawers with silver handles and I the black ones with gold plated ones.
As I said, you don't need to touch command lines at all, you can install and use 100% via mouse and keyboard like windows and mac. It's been years since Ive typed any command lines, it works 100% in GUI now (on desktop linux distros).
Sounds like you do use linux at times atleast. For desktop might I suggest linux mint, best alternate for windows imo.

EDIT: To clarify does GUI better than Windows comment, I wasn't refering to looks/colour, but rather than its simple to use and you can even get programs with a few clicks. No stuffing around with 3rd party clients or install discs.
Issue is that the expensive programs I use for work and other tasks. Hobbies music system and hardware are not supported on linux. I am happy with the render's linux, but until the programs get support I can't "afford" to change. But if steam gets majority of my almost 400 games to work on their OS then I will swap the laptop to it.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
So it's basically just a Linux OS with a Steam logo tacked on?

Seems kinda useless when only a fraction of games today can run on Linux anyway.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Tanakh said:
I thought it was very clear: "Valve claims its new OS offers "significant performance increases in graphics processing," and says it is also working on improving audio performance and input latency."

If this is true, you don't need it, but games will perform better on it, the same with any incremental upgrade ever. I for one am very curious to see how it performs on the wild.
As long as the games don't require Microsoft proprietary components (read: DirectX) then sure.
But that's excluding a LOT of games on the market; pretty much everything ported from the Xbox 360 for sure.

Long term, I'm thinking Gabe Newell's strategy is to pressure the market into moving away from MS dependent kits and handlers like DirectX. But that's a brutal uphill battle given the huge install base DirectX has. (over 15 years now)
That's brutal even for an entity as big as Steam.

baconmaster

Apr 15, 2008
I think this all comes down to how well Valve can market SteamOS computers as open consoles. I can't see PC gamers jumping straight to this OS, but many console gamers (including myself) would love to play PC games in a more console-like setting, without giving up the advantages of the PC. That's what SteamOS and Steam Machines seem to be doing. Then if it catches on we'll get more and more games for the operating system and PC gamers can start to jump ship

I'm just hoping Valve doesn't restrict SteamOS releases to Steam itself. It sounds like they're letting the consumer do whatever they want, but will they let publishers/developers do the same?

K12

Dec 28, 2012
If I've bought the windows version of loads of games am I going to have re-purchase them to run them on the steam OS (or just reconfigure the box as soon as I get it)

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
K12 said:
If I've bought the windows version of loads of games am I going to have re-purchase them to run them on the steam OS (or just reconfigure the box as soon as I get it)
No, Steam has cross-buy. If you buy a game that has Mac and Linux versions, you get all three for one purchase. The SteamOS is Linux-based, so yeah.