Valve Thinks It'd Be "Fun" to Remake Half-Life

Korzack

Apr 28, 2010
The Zango said:
No no no no no! Not until Ep 3!

There I said it.

OT: I think that'd be quite a cool idea, if it was well executed it could introduce the story of the first game to people that haven't experienced it because they dont like the graphics etc etc (Like myself)

However, the term 'remake' is almost never uttered along side the phrase 'resounding success', but if anyone can do it Valve sure can.
Honestly, even nearly thirteen years on from it's first release, Half-Life is still a damn good game. They upgraded HL1 with the source engine about the time HL2 came out, but it does make sense for Valve to go back to their Iliad.
So far as Episode 3's concerned, I have a distinct feeling that one's only gonna come out when they're absolutely bloody sure it'll knock people away. Of course, it does risk becoming the new DK:F (or Chinese Democracy, for any music fans), but what the hell - it's just nice to hear of games that don't cry strawberry juice in reaction to pain.

Tsunimo

Nov 19, 2009
Booze Zombie said:
Shame, really. I would like to watch Freeman's Mind in real HD.
Don't worry, I'm sure that when the remake of Half-Life come out, in four or five years, Freeman's Mind will still only be on episode 34... if we're lucky.

Azdron

Nov 21, 2010
Man, Whats next valve? half life: rick-roll? I mean what? is the whole episode three team just sitting there coming up with new ways to troll the community? Do they have meetings with mr newel where they just list off ways to harvest fan-boy tears? is episode three some kind of magic spell that requires nerd rage and fanboy tears to work?

Man, I been trolled in my time. But this has got to take the cake.

Edit: >< the cake.. the Lack of cake. Just self trolled, godamn it valve.

maturin

Jul 20, 2010
Ekit said:
Didn't they remake Half-Life already and called it Half-Life: Source? And wasn't it exactly the same as Half-Life?

So if Valve has already failed at remaking Half-Life, what makes them think that people are going to buy another remake?
That was an engine update. Like another version of Microsoft Word.

ratix2

Feb 6, 2008
SomeBoredGuy said:
Marik2 said:
They seem to have forgotten this fan made project...
Bobic said:
Luckily for us some dudes are doing it for them.

http://www.blackmesasource.com/

Edit: let's hear it for ninjas!
Shame there has been exactly zero news about it in over a year.

It's pretty much safe to assume the mod is dead, but hey a Valve-made remake would be welcomed.

[sub][sub][sub]After Episode 3[/sub][/sub][/sub]
Actually there has, but just not on the front page, you've got to scavenger through the forums for it. There were even a series of previews in several gaming magazines last fall.

Also, the current rumor is that the game is in beta testing, and there wee even a few screenshots released on some image boards that the devs have refused to comment on.

Also on the rumor mill is that the black medal team is intending to release this summer.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
Black Mesa Source immediately popped to mind.

However, as of today, the last media update was... January 2010.

...We don't need a remake, we need a sequel.

...And one with more than the original ten-or-so guns.

LaughingAtlas

Nov 18, 2009
I don't even care for Half-Life and I'd rather see Ep 3 than a remake. Yahtzee's gonna fucking flip, I bet, once said something like
"You'd never see Valve releasing a half-life remake in which the only new thing is a giant lemon launcher, we'd think they were all raving lunatics, they'd be sectioned before Half-Life: Citrus bazooka could even hit shelves!"

Skizle

Feb 12, 2009
Bobic said:

Yes because Valve needs more Sorce mod junnkies to make games for them. On a side note, havent played Half Life 1 because Valve refuses to make it on sale for under $5

Skratt

Dec 20, 2008
Marik2 said:
They seem to have forgotten this fan made project...
Sadly, I am starting to think so have the people making BM:S. It looks so nice, I'd pay money for it.

DeAvatar

Mar 27, 2009
maybe we can get the Black Maesa people to do EP 3 after they're done. In that perspective both Valve and BMS would get EP3 done at the same time...>.>

BrownGaijin

Jan 31, 2009
Um, one isn't this (part of) the reason why we have Lucas? and two can we please start focusing on getting games released a bit quicker first?

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Ok, Valve are officially idiots. Or just bad people. How can you even say anything like this when the second you open your mouths people hope and plea for mention of the next Half-Life game, and you have the NERVE to say you even are considering going BACK?

Them not making the next part of Half-Life at this point is just their own short-sightedness and idiocy. Im not even one of the people who is dying for it, but everytime I see it, i cant help but thing why it is not out yet, or atleast being made. Only way they could redeem themselves badly would be it it was a bad prank and they did not want to announce it until the day before it is sold.

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
Skizle said:
Bobic said:

Yes because Valve needs more Sorce mod junnkies to make games for them. On a side note, havent played Half Life 1 because Valve refuses to make it on sale for under $5
I remember picking it up a while back when they had it on sale for 89 cents, but I think that was for the anniversary or something.