Videogame characters you're afraid of.

Magnaflame

Nov 30, 2008
Well, for me it's Sweet Tooth from the Twisted Metal series, as a kid, me and my dad would play a bunch of Twisted Metal together, and he scared me so bad that if he started attacking me I would have to get my dad to blast him away. Now, with these newer games that are much freakier and grittier I have to leave the room if his face goes onscreen because the seed of fear was sewn early.

Well, post yours if you have any.

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
Well, I'd be scared shitless if Yggdrasill from Tales of Symphonia 1 broke loose of his virtual bonds. That guy was a loon.

Er... Kreia from KOTORII gave me the creeps. Especially when
it was revealed that she wanted to destroy the Force. That hit home.

That spider thing from LoZ:OoT scared the hell out of me when I was a kid. Yet I'm not scared of spiders... hrm.

Zosephine

Dec 4, 2008
Well, Myst didn't have many characters, none of them particularly freaky, but the game still scared the bejeesus out of me. It was just so empty, and all the sudden noises freaked me out. I swear the ship level caused my irrational fear of klaxon alarm sounds.

Magnaflame

Nov 30, 2008
Zosephine said:
Well, Myst didn't have many characters, none of them particularly freaky, but the game still scared the bejeesus out of me. It was just so empty, and all the sudden noises freaked me out. I swear the ship level caused my irrational fear of klaxon alarm sounds.
That game scared the crap outta me too.

CZTM

Dec 20, 2008
Uh... When I was younger and playing Chrono Trigger for the first time (I was like... 6 or 7, I can't remember) on the SNES, Lavos destroying the world scared me so much that I didn't play it again for a few years. >___>

In more recent years, the Resident Evil 4 zombies really creeped the crud out of me, and anything in the Silent Hill series.

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
I would say that I would piss myself if Paxton Fettel was real.

Ursus Astrorum

Mar 20, 2008
For me, it's probably Giygas from Earthbound. The first time I fought him, I was heavily shaken.

He's closely seconded by Left 4 Dead's Tank. OoT's Temple of Shadow always freaked me out as well, if you count it as a living thing. Hell, I do.

CZTM said:
Uh... When I was younger and playing Chrono Trigger for the first time (I was like... 6 or 7, I can't remember) on the SNES, Lavos destroying the world scared me so much that I didn't play it again for a few years. >___>
Ah, yes. "But... The future refused to change" is still one of the most disturbing lines I've seen from a game, Giygas's disjointed speech aside.

Fightgarr

Concept Artist
Dec 3, 2008
Any of the townspeople from Call of Cthulu: Dark Corners of the Earth. Especially the cops.
I was also pretty scared of Velius from Final Fantasy Tactics as a kid.
OH! And any monster that lurks underwater, which you only see once you in the water (especially a particular Collossus).

Ursus Astrorum

Mar 20, 2008
Fightgarr said:
Any of the townspeople from Call of Cthulu: Dark Corners of the Earth. Especially the cops.
OH! And any monster that lurks underwater, which you only see once you in the water (especially a particular Collossus).
Oh, the electric eel one? That one was a blast to slay. Hold on for dear life as you're sped through the deep!

Arionis

Oct 19, 2008
Nosferatu from Resident Evil : Code Veronica.

8(

When I first played Clock Tower 3, Sledgehammer scared the hell out of me. I couldn't play for more a minute, for three months.

Then I plowed through the entire game.

Going through an atv crash in some woods rumored to be haunted raise your fear limit. xD

Dapsen

Nov 9, 2008
im scared of uhm.... hmmm.... YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fightgarr

Concept Artist
Dec 3, 2008
Michael_McCloud said:
Fightgarr said:
Oh, the electric eel one? That one was a blast to slay. Hold on for dear life as you're sped through the deep!
Yes, but I happen to be terrified of all things underwater. Especially big things underwater.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
Redundant thread [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.77870].

I would say S.H.O.D.A.N., but I think I got over that when I reached the end of System Shock 2 and engaged in that silly boss fight. Blew her away in 15 seconds flat.

Those Cyborg Midwives were scarier than S.H.O.D.A.N., but I eventually got over that through classical conditioning genocide procedures.

Wasn't scared of Alma or Paxton of F.E.A.R. - felt sorry for them. Poor guys were tools.

I should probably get deeper into Silent Hill. I played a little bit of Silent Hill 2, and was a bit disappointed with how inept the poor twitchy things were. Beating them to death with a stick was like stepping on a bug. Eventually stopped playing on the grounds that navigation was annoyingly difficult.

Honestly, I think James was creepier than the rest of the characters in Silent Hill 2.
James killed his wife in a mercy killing and came to Silent Hill because he thinks she sent him a letter to meet her there. He's contemplating finishing the job. How screwed up is that?

Soon, I plan to get my mitts on Dead Space. Perhaps something in there will prove intimidating.

PirateKing

Nov 19, 2008
The Regenerators from Resident Evil 4. Without a thermal scope I wouldn't stand a chance against them...even with a thermal scome I probably wouldn't stand a chance against them.

Magnaflame

Nov 30, 2008
Fightgarr said:
Yeah, I'm deeply scared of something lurking in the same water I am, it's just like, the water makes you so defenseless.

eatenbyagrue

Dec 25, 2008
the first zombie you encounter in the first Resident Evil game, particularly because when I first saw it, it looked to me like some kind of evil demented undead clown.

And I'm a-scared of clowns.