"Videogames Cause Rape" Author Gets Amazonbombed

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
Oh gods the irony.

"Hey I'll write a book about how good girls should act like bad girls so they can reap the benefits. And then I shall demonize a video game that references sexual acts as being derogatory to women and a correlation to the shocking increase in rape that I just made up. Nope, no contradiction there at all."

Apr 28, 2008
Xan Krieger said:
Irridium said:
Reminds me of when people bombed that one woman's book on amazon after she said "I haven't played Mass Effect, but I'm sure I know what its about" or something like that. She then went on to call it a "rape simulator" among other things. Then her book was bombed with people saying "I haven't read this book, but I'm sure its about how to molest children." Or something like that.
Didn't she end up apologizing for her remarks? We only amazonbomb until they admit they screwed up (and might have lost money due to bad reviews).
Yeah, eventually someone actually showed her the game and scene in question, and she admitted to being wrong and all that.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Good stuff, some of those comments on the actual page are pretty damn good, I must admit that

Skorpyo

Average Person Extraordinaire!
May 2, 2010
All I can say is, whattabitch.

Games causing rape, women getting ahead through sexploitation, etc. She deserves worse.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
You might say that karma
*puts on sunglasses*
came back to rape her.

While I have some professional opposition to calling people's work into question for their personal believe, that degree of hypocrisy warrants just that. I may not have read her book, but I'm sure it promotes rape and various other heinous acts, and has in fact led to just that in numerous cases. 1 Star for encouraging rape.

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
Phyroxis said:
Lost In The Void said:
Phyroxis said:
Lost In The Void said:
Remember kids, psychology is more than saying "I'm a psychologist," then saying your opinion is fact because you're a psychologist.

In other news Karma is a *****
Shes a psychiatrist (med doctor first) not a psychologist. Shes trained in a totally different way.

That being said, your statement still holds true.
Well in that case most of her knowledge should lie in mental medication so what is she doing writing books that seem to be more rooted in the psychology side of mental health rather than psychiatry. That makes her seem even more dumb than she already appeared to be.
I've been looking for published empirical articles from her. So far, only one. And it has nothing to do with media.

If you're going to be an "Expert" you should probably back up your claim with credentials. A doctoral degree does not an expert make.
That one published piece was likely for her doctorate so I'd like to see more than just that; so yes you are correct, having her doctorate does not make her an expert, especially on gaming psychology

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
I can't wait to see a naughty picture of a customer pic. Please use lots of fire.

RoBi3.0

Mar 29, 2009
Irridium said:
Reminds me of when people bombed that one woman's book on amazon after she said "I haven't played Mass Effect, but I'm sure I know what its about" or something like that. She then went on to call it a "rape simulator" among other things. Then her book was bombed with people saying "I haven't read this book, but I'm sure its about how to molest children." Or something like that.
I had some respect for Cooper Lawerance, before I heard about her thoughts on Mass Effect. It is a shame that someone can be so ignorant'

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
What the hell? I can guarantee that most of those "good girls" she sits there talking about have all the traits of her "bad girls", but merely express them in a different way, to a different audience. As men, we're pretty aware that the ***** is playing us, and we're no stranger to that game, playing the "bad girls" right in turn. "...they share certain alluring traits. Irresistibly exciting, clever, flirtatious, and seductive, they make their man fee like the sexiest, most invincible stud on the planet! [sic]" Umm, yeah. Duh. Because if they were as boring and insipid as a dishwater-soaked rag, then the men of excite, wallet and thrill wouldn't be anywhere near them.

This is one act of Internet Mischief I would have joined in on, had I known it was to happen. She even offers a "bad girl test", so that you can see where you lie on the manipulative ***** scale, and a guy version, for how much of a whipped pussy you are.

Here's a hint: We love the manipulative bitches. We really do. Know why? Because they think up a hundred reasons to get us to want them, which means all we have to do is sit back.

FungiGamer

Apr 23, 2008
Wait wait wait, hold on....

She claims video games cause rape, and yet she writes books about how to sexually manipulate males?

lolwut

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Internet Backdraft [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/InternetBackdraft] and Counterattack [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/InternetCounterattack] in full force.

Another Fox blitz, another psychologist with ruined prospects.

Todays cpatcha: fs(ei avertan.

Kratenser

Sep 18, 2010
So, its "games cause rape" now is it? I've heard of "games cause violence" and "games cause psychosis", but rape now? seriously?

I could go into amendment rights or freedom of speech, or i could attempt to explain the vast psychiatrical conditioning behind causing a major crime like that, but instead i will just say this:

Get a grip.

anyway, i want to take this time to bring up one of the old controversial issues: Postal 2. Postal 2 really aggravated a considerable amount of people because of the "this game allows you to kill people in violent ways, and then piss all over their corpses" thing. It was crazy, immature, insensitive, poked fun at every existing minority group and was generally just not very friendly. However, the reason im mentioning this is because despite all of the graphic and bizzarre content in Postal 2, you never HAD to do any of it. Whenever you get attacked by a crazy group of people, you never HAD to attack them. You never HAD to do drugs, or steal, or even piss on someone (although you did have to piss on your dads grave at one point). It was possible to get through the entire game without hurting a single person. The reason this is relevant, is that the game never instructed you to kill anyone, the only reason you would have is because of your own reactions.

Eg: First level: Monday. You go to your office to pick up your wages from work, when you get attacked by a group of games protesters who think that games cause violence (irony). At that point, you can easily take the side exit and run for it. Nothing forces you to fight them back.
If you chose to attack the protesters, that was your own decision.

More to the point, despite being in a hostile situation, there is always a peaceful option. If the player chooses not to take it, then its entirely up to them. Postal 2 could not be blamed for causing violence, because there was always the option for the player to flee. How a person chooses to react in a situation is entirely up to them, which includes all the consequences that come with it.

Although I guess you could blame postal for violence against cats, considering as the game allowed you to use them as silencers for your shotgun.

Back to original point: People make their own decisions, games cannot be blamed for them, although im assuming that someone who read this post will try and say otherwise.

Phyroxis

Witty Title Here
Apr 18, 2008
Lost In The Void said:
Phyroxis said:
Lost In The Void said:
Phyroxis said:
Lost In The Void said:
Remember kids, psychology is more than saying "I'm a psychologist," then saying your opinion is fact because you're a psychologist.

In other news Karma is a *****
Shes a psychiatrist (med doctor first) not a psychologist. Shes trained in a totally different way.

That being said, your statement still holds true.
Well in that case most of her knowledge should lie in mental medication so what is she doing writing books that seem to be more rooted in the psychology side of mental health rather than psychiatry. That makes her seem even more dumb than she already appeared to be.
I've been looking for published empirical articles from her. So far, only one. And it has nothing to do with media.

If you're going to be an "Expert" you should probably back up your claim with credentials. A doctoral degree does not an expert make.
That one published piece was likely for her doctorate so I'd like to see more than just that; so yes you are correct, having her doctorate does not make her an expert, especially on gaming psychology
Precisely. This is why I'm actually studying media and doing research on its effects. I desire to be a psychologist and a credentialed expert, not just some news-pandering whore.

Mar 9, 2010
I think I may join them, leave some comments about how she makes judgements based off uncorrelated and wishful assumptions and how this way women get ahead is dramatically affecting the amount of fraud in the world today.

She makes me sick to my stomach.

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
At the risk of sounding like an (in)famous group that floats around the 'net what the hell did this ***** expect? Seriously it's time to remind these people that the 'net was made for, and is still run by GEEKS, bitching when they slap you down for being a dick to them in their own house is just stupid! It would be like me complaining if I walked into a synagogue dressed in an SS uniform and then complaining when I get beat down.

Here's a hint, don't make stupid ass statements designed to attract attention to your shitty book and act surprised when the people you basically called rapists in training get all pissy. The news media is just following the classic pattern, it was comics in the 50s, rock music in the 60s, something I'm sure in the 70s (I try not to think of that hideous time lest the fashion infect me), rap in the 80s and 90s, and now it's the big bad internets turn.

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
Ekit said:
It's kind of immature of people to Amazonbomb her like this.

But on the other hand:

'Bad Girls' will have a devastating influence on the youth of the world. Children as young as 9-years-old are being exposed to this text.

I can state with certainty that any increase in crime rate that may have been noted near your hometown can be attributed in large part to the authorship of this book.

That was pretty funny.
I saw that at the top of the page and lost it. Most of them are pretty poorly written and tend to plagiarize previous comments, but this one is the cleverest and the best. I love seeing baseless propaganda nonsense being thrown back in the face of the originator.