"Videogames Cause Rape" Author Gets Amazonbombed

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
chewbacca1010 said:
Right, I forgot how terrible it is to be a gamer these days
She all but called us, and me, a rapist. That can not stand, I'd punch someone who did that in real life regardless of gender. In my personal lexicon of insults rapist is the second lowest form of scum on the planet, just short of child molesters, rape is an evil that dwarfs murder, because it destroys a person, so not only did she call a large group of people I'm part of one of the most horrible things imaginable, doing so made light of one of the most disgusting crimes that can be committed.

It can not stand unchallenged.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
vrbtny said:
Yes!!! Inteligant hate, I love it!!!

Nothing sweeter.
Eh, I wish I could say that's what this is. Bombing somebody's book review for something they said completely unrelated to that book is a bit like egging their car. It's not intelligent, it's immature.

I'm not supporting what Fox did in the least. However, the fact of the matter is that gamers that did this just provided her an example she can point to whenever she wants to prove what barbarians we are.

I'm not against a bit of retaliation, but do it in a way that doesn't make us look like an unruly mob.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
Lost In The Void said:
Remember kids, psychology is more than saying "I'm a psychologist," then saying your opinion is fact because you're a psychologist.

In other news Karma is a *****
I couldn't have said it any better myself.

TheBlueRabbit

Ballistic Comedian
Jan 9, 2009
Bretty said:
We live in a world in which provides us tools.
Indeed, we do. Some of them even write books!

Ah, glorious karma.
On a side note, I read some of the reviews on Amazon, and found one with the title "Dangerous combination: 'Mein Kampf' meets 'playboy magazine'." For some reason that struck me as REALLY funny.

Living Contradiction

Clearly obfusticated
Nov 8, 2009
Hee hee. Just to see the book itself, I went onto Amazon and amazingly enough, I was told that those who bought this book also tended to buy "The Way of the Superior Man: A Spiritual Guide to Mastering the Challenge of Women, Work, and Sexual Desire"

Because, of course, anyone who buys into one blatantly-marketed sexist stereotype must really want to reinforce the others too...

Back on topic, why is everyone so surprised at the review lashing? Yes, it's a petty, nasty, juvenile way to show unquenchable hatred but so was her attack on video games. Hmmm. A game that uses the term "gang bang". Clearly, it must be repressing something sexual and should be kept far away from children. As if the grotesque roaring aliens, copious amounts of bloodshed, naked flesh, and people saying "fuck" every third sentence wasn't enough of a hint, eh?

Oh gods. I just read the Fox article itself and there are a couple of other quotes that need to be shared.

From a doctor of developmental psychology at the University of Maryland: "The marketing is clearly aimed at children and young adolescents."

And from a rep of the National Youth Rights Organization: "Plenty of emotionally unstable adults will play the game and they'll be fine."

I have to go laugh now. I may be gone a while.

witness51

Oct 17, 2010
It's interesting to note that while some of the "reviewers" make no bones about the fact that their anger is rooted in Lieberman's ridiculous anti-game comments on Fox, many others take issue with the concept of the book itself: that it encourages women to use sexual manipulation and deceit to get ahead in the world.

Now the important part: I haven't read it so I can't really comment but the cover sure ain't subtle.

The difference between us and them is that we form opinions about things we have experienced and understand; not just accepting whatever is in the teleprompter as absolute fact.

MaVeN1337

Feb 19, 2009
The things on her god damn page that induce more rape than video games. What a fucking hypocrite whore.

Seriously? Who writes a book about "bad girls" then complains about rape?

Kunzer

Press R to cause ragequit
Jul 14, 2008
Souplex said:
I love karma.
If she gets raped by someone and it is found that the rapist never played videogames, THAT would be karma.

NaramSuen

Jun 8, 2010
zelda2fanboy said:
I don't get why anyone is expected to be civil in response to a statement like that. If she went on TV and said Hitler was right and the Jews are lying misers, I'm betting there would be a lot more negative reviews for her latest book, and they wouldn't have all been written by Jewish people. Or maybe if she said people who suffer from cancer have it coming to them. "Video games cause rape" is similarly so disgusting and wrong, she deserves whatever she gets when it comes to public opinion of her and her work.
I couldn't agree more. Her exact quote was "The increase in rapes can be attributed, in large part, to the playing out of such scenes in video games." Change the term video games to anything else and there would be a media firestorm. She has chosen to put her opinions out into the public realm and, therefore, should not be surprised when people use whatever tools they have at their disposal to discredit and denounce her work.

phelan511

Oct 29, 2010
thethingthatlurks said:
You might say that karma
*puts on sunglasses*
came back to rape her.

While I have some professional opposition to calling people's work into question for their personal believe, that degree of hypocrisy warrants just that. I may not have read her book, but I'm sure it promotes rape and various other heinous acts, and has in fact led to just that in numerous cases. 1 Star for encouraging rape.
bahahahahaha all you needed was a "YYYEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!!" after the csi reference

Unholykrumpet

Nov 1, 2007
Should be a warning if you click on the author's name in the escapist post...WARNING. EXTREMELY FUCKING PINK.

espada1311

Sep 19, 2010
What i find to be very silly, is the fact that she insists that video games are responsible for the increase in rape incidents over the past years, yet in the same breath, she tries to get women to use their sexuality to manipulate men. It's like punching yourself in the face and complaining when you get a bruise. Meanwhile she can complain about the lack of censorship in a videogame compared to other medias, i believe she had forgotten about pronos (which the US has the largest circulation of), HBO (where anyone can say anything and do anything with no fines or censorship) and most movies made in the past long while.

wtfclowns

Apr 15, 2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Dl7YF5Mr8Q#t=1m23s
Hmmmmm....
(Crediting Kooberz at Kotaku for finding this)

stabnex

Jun 30, 2009
For as long as Fox News and its sycophants-for-hire exist, the people of the world will continue to wage war against them and their livelihood.

Drake_Dercon

Sep 13, 2010
I'd like to see where she grounds that statement. Also, I read the synopsis of her book. It disgusts me.

EvolutionKills

Jul 20, 2008
Dastardly said:
Andy Chalk said:
Yet another activist-author pushing ridiculous beliefs about men. Games don't cause rape. Rape causes rape. But encouraging women to dangle this expectation of sex by playing the part of "bad girls"--specifically to play upon this supposed primal urges we caveman-like menfolk have--certainly doesn't help.

That is not to say anything excuses rape, let's be clear. What we're saying here is that there's an underlying inconsistency in her beliefs about men. Either:

a) Men can, should, and do control their response to sexual urges, meaning they are wholly responsible during those times when they do not. (This, by the by, is my belief.)

or b) Men can be "fooled" into raping women via the influence of psychological controls present in video games that manipulate primal instincts... in which case, wouldn't that mean that men can be "fooled" into raping women by encouraging women to intentionally play upon those same primal instincts, and it is thus dangerously irresponsible to encourage women to do that?

Either men are in control (and thus responsible when they do bad things), or men are controllable (and thus not fully responsible when they are manipulated into doing bad things). Can't have it both ways.
You nailed her failed hypocritical logic right on the head. Kudos.