Visceral Proves Your Mom Hates Dead Space 2

Volafortis

Oct 7, 2009
Sorry, Visceral, but in it, the player has guns, making it no scarier than any shooter. Still, for an action game, it looks interesting (I enjoy having to aim somewhere other than the head, for once).

I doubt that ALL moms would hate it (They did say they were in the middle of conservative infested lands). That's like going to a religious congregation and asking what people feel about atheism.

For example, my mother is perfectly understanding of the artistic merits of gaming. Her boyfriend, on the other hand, hates gaming (and is super conservative). Best day ever when I turned 18 and moved out, lemme tell ya.

Azurian

Oct 27, 2010
My mother isn't really into video games besides the Burnout series but if Dead Space 2 was an movie she would be all over it. But she has seen me play the demo and she sorta liked it but like I said if it was a movie she would have been all over it.

MrHero17

Jul 11, 2008
Jp21 said:
lacktheknack said:
What the hell was the point of that?!

Seriously... couldn't they have done something better than prove that mothers don't like bloody horror games?
I agree, whether it's a joke or not how can we be taken seriously as a medium if we allow ourselves to be seen with such poor taste?
As far as I can tell movies are still a respected medium

Lighten up people, your reminding me of all the people in the thread about the Korean kid dieing in the gaming cafe who were acting like Fox News was going to run a special report on it. :p

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
FinalHeart95 said:
Best. Ad. Campaign. Ever.

Seriously, they took the very thing that most would use AGAINST video games, and used it to their advantage. Brilliant.
I'm more partial to destruction in my game adds. Especially when you set up your own APC to do this.

RedBeta22

Aug 28, 2008
Stupid ad. And besides, my Mom loves Dead Space. She says it reminds her of Alien, which was her favourite movie when she was my age. She got Dead Space: Extraction for the wii and loved it then she borrowed my PS3 so she could play Dead Space 1.

Composer

Aug 3, 2009
Thunderhorse31 said:
Methinks that if you're marketing a Mature game meant to be played by adults, your target audience wouldn't give two shits if their moms approve or not.

Nice try anyway, Visceral. I'll be getting this regardless.
notice how most of the moms looked about 60+
meaning to the norm their kids would be around 19+

Tiswas

Jun 9, 2010
I just hope that this means some under 18s won't be allowed to play the game cus mommy won't buy it for them.

Apr 29, 2010
Well, this reminds me I should finish Dead Space. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but did that mom say the word "fireful"?

By the way, why is everyone getting so worked up over the advert? If those moms tell their kids they can't get the game, that doesn't mean it will ruin the industry. For one, most likely their children aren't old enough and shouldn't be playing the game in the first place. Secondly, if their children are old enough, then their mothers have no real power to deny them that game. They can say no, but since they're old enough, they can still go and get the game. I fail to see how that would hurt the industry. People will still buy the game, and some won't. It's the same with every game. How would this advert affect that in any way? I find it somewhat absurd; this whole notion of the industry being hurt by something like this. Those 200 or so kids that probably won't be getting the game probably shouldn't be playing in the first place.

ephesus64

Sep 16, 2010
I see the clips and think "mediocre action-horror fps". I see the clips and think about the person whose job it was to design the texture and physics behavior of the mutant's vomit. It's morally equivalent to "Barbie Swan Lake" to me--just pixels on a screen. That's just me, after being raised on Doom and Duke Nukem.

This is internet humor. Murder, horrible disfigurement, the taking of innocence by things one cannot un-see, etc. are funny and/or entertaining. If you don't think so, you're a Bible-thumping old woman. I get it.

What only a couple posters seem to care about (if those were real mothers in the video, which I doubt), is that some people were genuinely saddened and hurt by what they saw. Even if it was staged, I am still supposed to laugh while unsuspecting people are abruptly exposed to disturbing and grotesque images. No. I laughed for a moment, and then I noticed the expressions and actually considered the "mothers" and their experience.

Is it so hard to imagine that someone who sees horribly mutated people-like things exploding in a haze of their own blood might be emotionally moved or even hurt by the sight? I don't want to look down on people who believe that images can inherently mean something, or laugh at people who grieve over graphic and tragic death.

Someone might say "lighten up, it's just a joke, an advertisement for a game". Hmm.

Legendairy314

Aug 26, 2010
I'm not gonna lie. I needed a moment to recover after that hilarity. Kudos to those brilliant minds behind this. Ad campaigns don't get much better than this.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Epic trolling win there Visceral, i mean this is probably the most lolage marketing camapaign evar... Well except Bulletstorm's Halo parody thing

When you're going for violence, asking moms to demo it is the best way to get good quotes for the box...

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Its obvious that Dead Space 2 is Cool dont it XD

Always nice to see them put some thought behind their ad campaign. But i cant help but think anyone who can buy the game doesn't care what their mothers think. if you still need mothers approval at that age...

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Marik2 said:
Gigaguy64 said:
Marik2 said:
Gigaguy64 said:
Marik2 said:
LOL this was really funny XD

The EA team sure knows how to market games, but not so much in making them good...just mediocre.
Im pretty sure they did this for the lulz.

What other reaction did they expect form "Moms taken from the conservative heart of America"?
:p

And i have high hopes for DS2, i need to download the demo.
Played the demo and it doesnt wow me...

Didnt like the first game and I dont think Im gonna like this one either.

They just took the resident evil route with "this game isnt scary so lets just make it action packed"
No?
Oh well, i loved the first one.
The story is really interesting and i love the style of the environment/character.
Though it is disappointing that its not really "Scary".
First one did manage to make me jump several times though.
To me a couple of "jumps" isnt scary, its just surprising.

And it seems they're not even gonna try to be scary and just go with the action packed bandwagon.

YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE WHO CAN STOP THEM
Yea.
That was one of my disappointments from 1.
Not scary, just surprising from time to time.
But the gore was nice.
And i do have a hard on for Powersuit tech...
Plus the fact that all you weapons were actually mining tools was just cool to me.
OH!
Before i forget.
I has an Xbox now.
Add me.
:)

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
Goddamn, I've gotta show my mum that video. She'll feel even more awkward when I pick Dead Space 2 next week.