Waiting For Godot

Gothproxy

Mar 20, 2009
Well, Helena Bohnam Carter HAS to be in it. Why?

It's a Tim Burton film...
.....with Johnny Depp in it...
.....it's in their contracts....

.....no seriously, look it up.

=D

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
I thought Godot was around the "It was his sled!" level of pop culture now.

My personal favorite is when Elmo played Godot.

Helen Jones

Oct 31, 2011
RC1138 said:
He wasn't God. Beckett once said something to the effect that if he wanted to to be God, he would have said God. Also there are more than 4 characters in the play... there's six, the two messenger boys (usually played by two different, but fairly similar looking, child actors).
Have never heard that before (obviously), but thanks for sharing, it's pretty interesting. While clearly from that Godot can't BE God, I do stand that the plays theme of spending a life waiting for something can be linked to God and Christianity, but as a lesser idea rather than a central one.

Tturbo

Mar 10, 2011
For the first time ever I can say Critical Miss made my day. That joke is awesome and epic !

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
Uszi said:
Ah I see... Although even with this new knowledge that you have supplied me with, I still don't see the hilarious side of what I'm guessing was the proposed joke. Though I thank you for the information. [sub]And just so you know I did momentarily wonder if the comic may have been slightly related to Laser-Face Godot. :D[/sub]

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Fah, I don't know about all of you, but I am still waiting for Tim Burton's adaption of "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead", staring Johnny Depp as both Rosencrantz AND Guildenstern. :p

Knusper

Sep 10, 2010
It has been explained to me and all of a sudden I realise that this was really funny.

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
I think I've got it.
Tim Burton will put Johnny Depp as the title/main character of anything, even if said character never appears.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
I didn't get the joke, so I went to Google.

After 5 minutes of searching, I have yet to get the joke. You have won, Mrs. Rydell and Mr. Carter.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Farther than stars said:
BurnedOutMyEyes said:
I really shouldn't have read the play. It's weird.
Reading a play?! Reading a play?! What's next? Playing a novel? Listening to a painting? Plays are watched, not read, or you should not bother appreciating them at all!
See, there's this wacky new invention called the script...

SonOfMethuselah

Oct 9, 2012
*shrug*

I get the joke. It's clever, in its own abstract way. The poster shouldn't say that Depp is going to play Godot, though. He could easily be one of the two that are waiting. Maybe he and Bonham Carter are sitting around waiting for a Tim Burton adaptation that isn't several notches off of the 'needless' meter. They really would be waiting forever for that one, or, at least, present day cinema suggests that they would be.

The idea that Burton would give Depp a role that isn't supposed to appear, and then shoehorn it in is perfectly valid, though, so I suppose it's an acceptable interpretation. (Godot being an absurdist play, I believe there should be many different interpretations of this drawing, and therefore challenge people to come up with more).

Interesting work, my friends. Next time make some mention of The Blacks, though. Genet's works generally offer a little more in the way of the fixed-yet-open-interpretation that really good absurdist theater needs than Beckett's do.

Jodan

Mar 18, 2009
seriously that was the funniest ever jut thinking about burton doing godot terrifies me and is hilarious at the same time

Belaam

Nov 27, 2009
Farther than stars said:
Reading a play?! Reading a play?! What's next? Playing a novel? Listening to a painting? Plays are watched, not read, or you should not bother appreciating them at all!
That would be nice, but unlikely if pursuing an English degree. I would occasionally read a dozen plays a semester and only see one or two. It only got really annoying on plays wherein the sets were important and we had to visualize where everything was to make plot points.