Waiting For Godot

RobfromtheGulag

May 18, 2010
I think I get it. Let me into the Cool Kid's Club.

Just google the title of the play and wikipedia does the work for you.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Grey Carter said:
I just want to point out how weird it is that the strip about absurdist theatre is getting fewer confused responses than the strip about Blade Runner. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comics/critical-miss/7875-22]
It is probably we are all pretentious wankers who are not nearly as smart as we think we are, and have never actually seen anything of any major artistic import, we just look it up on wikipedia. So, in light of that, it makes perfect sense that a joke that requires one to have actually seen the film in question flies over people's heads while the joke that requires someone spent a little bit of time on Wikipedia looking up artsy plays is much more widely understood. :p

vortalism

Dec 15, 2011
That's basically what Johnny Depp (is/) does in all his movies right??? Right guys?? Ahhh.. ehhh.. /sigh

OT: Still a good one even if a tad obscure.

hobo_fred

Apr 27, 2009
This was the first comic you guys have ever posted where I laughed out loud for a good 5 minutes. Good job. This is utter brilliance.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Farther than stars said:
Bit of a waste of his talents. That's like casting Judy Dench as 'Bystander #3'.
Don't worry. They'll rewrite it so that he is prominently featured and playing Johnny Depp, rather than doing that weird "acting" thing that people expect of everyone else.

dontlooknow

Mar 6, 2008
Helen Jones said:
This is a play about the pointlessness of life.

It is mainly about two men, Estragon and Vladmir, who are waiting for a man Godot, a play on the word God.
There are only two other characters, Pozzo, a slave-master, and his slave Lucky. If this seems like a tiny cast it's because it is, it's desolate. Lucky only has one line in the entire play, but this one line (in my version of the text) takes up 3 entire pages, it's complete gibberish.
(Also saw the Ian McKellen version, and I really wish I could find a recording of Lucky's speech, it was brilliant.)

Point is, God(ot) never shows up, Johnny Depp will never get his part. The play ends with them agreeing to leave and not come back, but they freeze, they never exit the stage.

There was also this lovely story that came out-
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1277418/Sir-Ian-McKellen-mistaken-tramp-rehearses-play.html

To lighten the mood at the end, McKellen and Roger Rees did a tap dance. Y'all missed out.
Woh! It isn't about the pointlessness of life! It's about the pointlessness in searching for the significance of life - a very big difference. It's just opinion (and what else are we here for), but it's for this reason that I think Lucky's name isn't ironic - he's the most contented character of the four.