Waiting For Godot

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
BurnedOutMyEyes said:
So is this about a bipolar world of mutually broken classes of society dashing blindly towards its own nuclear destruction? Or just a silly joke because Godot never actually shows up and people would still watch, waiting for Johny Depp?
I really shouldn't have read the play. It's weird.
Its worse than wierd, its bad.

Its not even good in the Donnie Darko / Eternal Sunshine of a spotless mind way.

Its just plain bad. You have to be more than obscure to be good.

This strip was just slightly better than the play. But I might be out of sync with the series.

Ah well, off to Baldurs Gate 2 again.

Captain Pancake

May 20, 2009
Cause Godot never shows up in the play, it's the two characters waiting for him that play off of each other. A comment about Burton's tendency to bastardize source material (A la Alice in Wonderland) and of his Depp fetish, I believe.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
Helen Jones said:
This is a play about the pointlessness of life.

It is mainly about two men, Estragon and Vladmir, who are waiting for a man Godot, a play on the word God.
There are only two other characters, Pozzo, a slave-master, and his slave Lucky. If this seems like a tiny cast it's because it is, it's desolate. Lucky only has one line in the entire play, but this one line (in my version of the text) takes up 3 entire pages, it's complete gibberish.
(Also saw the Ian McKellen version, and I really wish I could find a recording of Lucky's speech, it was brilliant.)

Point is, God(ot) never shows up, Johnny Depp will never get his part. The play ends with them agreeing to leave and not come back, but they freeze, they never exit the stage.

There was also this lovely story that came out-
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1277418/Sir-Ian-McKellen-mistaken-tramp-rehearses-play.html

To lighten the mood at the end, McKellen and Roger Rees did a tap dance. Y'all missed out.
I saw it with Ian Mckellen and Patrick Stewart, and if that had the same Lucky, then he really was great.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Love it. I also love that since he doesn't actually show up, no one can ask about the choices of carrot and tiny dog atop a ridiculous hat. Though, I would almost like Burton's twist as seen by Carter & Rydell, with Godot being the only character, unspeaking, referenced by offstage (offscreen) voices. He'd probably still move around like mobile jello, because it is Johnny Depp, but hey, all the die-hard TB/JD fans will get what they want, and everyone who liked the metaphors and allusions in Godot will get to rage hard enough that everyone will try and see the Gandalf/Picard version instead of the Mad Hatter as Captain Jack Scissorhands.

On note, I wish I was in Australia, to try and see Sir Ian McKellan and Roger Rees' version of the piece.

RedmistSM

Jan 30, 2010
I knew enough to know who it was(after realizing it wasn't about Phoenix Wright) and thought i got the joke, but I didn't realize Godot never showed up. I wish I had, that seems like it would make it very funny.

Rorschach II

Mar 11, 2009
I saw Ian McKellen and Patrick Stewart in this together. Very clever, funny play.

I think the joke is that even though Godot doesn't exist, Tim Burton would still create a character from it and cast Johnny Depp in it. Very similar to what Mr Burton did with the mad hatter in Alice In Wonderland.

That seems like the most appropriate reason for the joke.

(This is much more high brow than I am used to from Critical Miss. Keep it up!)

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
I just want to point out how weird it is that the strip about absurdist theatre is getting fewer confused responses than the strip about Blade Runner. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comics/critical-miss/7875-22]

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
I so want this to become an actual thing..... It would be a huge F U to the audience that goes to see a film just because it has Johnny Depp in it. (Which for a long time did include myself, however I have now missed his last 3 films and don't feel any worse off)

About 6 or 7 years ago I came to the realization that I don't actually care about who the actors are, ever really.... I care about the story, and the story comes from the writers, so now I focus on who wrote a film/show then look at their previous work determine that if I liked that I will like this, and more often than not I am correct. And if they are a first time screen writer I may go, I may not it depends on critics at that point.

Darken12

Apr 16, 2011
So we're giving Rebecca [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0032976/]'s role to Helena Bonham Carter now?

BoredAussieGamer

Aug 7, 2011
Alright, can I be honest about something?

Despite having to study this play in Drama (and getting a B, mind you), I still haven't a fucking clue what it, or absurdism, is about.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Helen Jones said:

It is mainly about two men, Estragon and Vladmir, who are waiting for a man Godot, a play on the word God.
No, Samuel Beckett publicly stated that Godot does not symbolize or represent god, and that if he intended to mean God he simply would have said put God not Godot.

And, since I'm sure some people are reading it wrong in their heads, the t in Godot is silent.

Yeager942

Oct 31, 2008
Dohoho, I get it.

In the play, Waiting for Godot, two characters, Estragon and Vladimir, wait all day for Godot. Godot is a man who will give these two characters meaning, jobs, and will just all around make their lives better.

So they wait and wait at a particularly dreary country road and Godot never arrives.

The joke here is that if Tim Burton were to make the play, he'd cast Johnny Depp as Godot and shove him in every scene to be weird and wacky.

AzureFlameLord

Dec 28, 2012
Hannibal942 said:
Dohoho, I get it.

In the play, Waiting for Godot, two characters, Estragon and Vladimir, wait all day for Godot. Godot is a man who will give these two characters meaning, jobs, and will just all around make their lives better.

So they wait and wait at a particularly dreary country road and Godot never arrives.

The joke here is that if Tim Burton were to make the play, he'd cast Johnny Depp as Godot and shove him in every scene to be weird and wacky.
Thus completely eliminating the purpose of the play and ruining the story for the sake of said whacky Depp. I actually agree quite a bit with this one. Even though Burton is not directing this upcoming Lone Ranger adaptation, but the fact that Johnny Depp is obviously cast in a screen-hogging quirky role that totally craps all over the original program makes me feel pretty sick. Even if Burton isn't the director this time, he pretty much popularized the use of Depp in this way. Ugh *rant rant rant* I HATE THIS WORLD AND EVERYONE IN IT!!!!

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
I *think* I've heard of this play. The only thing I'm aware of though is this character (maybe the titular character?) either can only talk or becomes smart whenever he puts on a hat and then goes on about nothing for about an hour.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
Helen Jones said:

There are only two other characters, Pozzo, a slave-master, and his slave Lucky. If this seems like a tiny cast it's because it is, it's desolate. Lucky only has one line in the entire play, but this one line (in my version of the text) takes up 3 entire pages, it's complete gibberish.
(Also saw the Ian McKellen version, and I really wish I could find a recording of Lucky's speech, it was brilliant.)

Point is, God(ot) never shows up, Johnny Depp will never get his part. The play ends with them agreeing to leave and not come back, but they freeze, they never exit the stage.

There was also this lovely story that came out-
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1277418/Sir-Ian-McKellen-mistaken-tramp-rehearses-play.html

To lighten the mood at the end, McKellen and Roger Rees did a tap dance. Y'all missed out.
And this is why i go to the comments section to hopefully have someone explain the joke/point because this one was to me at least too obscure to be gotten, sorry grey.

Halceon

Jan 31, 2009
Oh God(ot), no. Nonononononononononononononononono!
All of my nope.

That's just incredibly wrong.

Anthony Pankuch

Mar 8, 2012
I'm only familiar with the basic plot of the play, but count me in with those that see this as "Burton is so desperate to find a role for Johnny Depp that he'd even shoehorn Godot in as the star of the adaption."

The saddest part about this is that Godot's costume here almost doesn't seem ridiculous enough.