Warface Producer Defends Female Designs as "Cultural Relativism"

thewatergamer

Aug 4, 2012
*sigh* I am sick of this BS from developers, Consistency please?

I mean come on the guys are in full armor and the females are in skintight catsuits?

WHY?

This makes no sense, I see nothing wrong with skampy outfits if its in context but this just makes no sense...

Pedro The Hutt

Apr 1, 2009
Friis said:
You mean like how the portrayal of violence in video games and the attitude towards violence in the gaming community and industry needs fixing? Cause we all know how much games and their depictions of violence is affecting our impressionable youth.
Nice try, but I wasn't implying that at all. What I want is games to be more friendly and inviting towards women. I've been in TF2 clans with players who were female so it's not like the FPS genre doesn't appeal to them, you just need to get it right. And having female character designs that are only supposed to impress teenage straight male gamers is not really going to achieve that in a hurry.

May 29, 2011
Akichi Daikashima said:
I honestly do not understand why it is so difficult for devs to make their female characters non-disproportionate.

Do they die a little inside if they make models that don't show off skin?

Especially when you consider that this is an MMS, so where the hell did they see female soldiers like that?
I don't think anyone even finds this attractive. I mean this bullshit sort of flies with fantasy shit because it's not realistic anyway and a wizards robe doesn't protect you either, but this is supposed to be modern infantry wear and it has fucking cleavage.

CLEAVAGE

That doesn't make me feel excited it's just fucking ridiculous. I'd be embarrassed to be playing this game.

What the hell would the developers have lost if they just DIDN'T include that. Where is this thought process coming from?

Are video game designers some sort of separate species because honestly I'd have to WORK to find someone who would actually design modern military wear to look this ridiculous.

OT: Nowhere in there did I find anything to actually justify anything about anything. "Blaah blaah culture culture it's not our fault fuck off"

Even the excuses are getting more stupid.

Friis

Feb 6, 2009
Pedro The Hutt said:
Friis said:
You mean like how the portrayal of violence in video games and the attitude towards violence in the gaming community and industry needs fixing? Cause we all know how much games and their depictions of violence is affecting our impressionable youth.
Nice try, but I wasn't implying that at all. What I want is games to be more friendly and inviting towards women. I've been in TF2 clans with players who were female so it's not like the FPS genre doesn't appeal to them, you just need to get it right. And having female character designs that are only supposed to impress teenage straight male gamers is not really going to achieve that in a hurry.
The reason I disagree with your original point is that you limit it to the depiction of female characters. I'd much prefer for characters of both sexes to be written better and have more variety. Your comment implies that the problem lies with female characters and not video-game characters in general. Or if you also believe that male characters are just as often lacking in actual character, that it's only worth changing this in female characters.
Most big game titles that aren't casual games have a predominantly male demographic, meaning that for the developer to have the best chance of immersing the most players into the game, they will mostly make male characters.
In the case of this specific game, the devs actually went out and directly asked their player base what they wanted the female characters to look like and went with a less extreme version of what the majority of their demographic expressed that they wanted.
"And having female character designs that are only supposed to impress teenage straight male gamers is not really going to achieve that in a hurry."
And here you go again with the idea that idea that video-games are actually affecting people's views on real life issues like sexism and violence. Well I'm sorry, but the anti-Violence in Videogames crowd has so far actually put forth a better case than you and feminism has about sexism... and that's saying quite a lot about how bad your case is.

Pedro The Hutt

Apr 1, 2009
Except I only said that the current designs won't get girls playing the game~

But I'm pretty sure you're intentionally misinterpreting what I say by now.

Friis

Feb 6, 2009
Pedro The Hutt said:
Except I only said that the current designs won't get girls playing the game~

But I'm pretty sure you're intentionally misinterpreting what I say by now.
Oh crap... I'm sorry, I gotta stop going on forums when I'm tired.