Warhammer 40k 8th Edition Announced - What could possibly go wrong?!

Mangod

Feb 20, 2011
inu-kun said:
Elijin said:
So, since AoS got some 40K orphans, does new 40K get some displaced Fantasy Battles race?
Tomb kings in space?
That's just the Necrons. They got redesigned from Terminators to Space-Robot-Mumies.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
xaszatm said:
Even worse, each weapon know effects each model differently so now I got to have every $50 codex just so I understand how my weapon affects the brand new model I'm facing.
Not if they distribute all the model rules as PDFs like they do for AoS.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
09philj said:
xaszatm said:
Even worse, each weapon know effects each model differently so now I got to have every $50 codex just so I understand how my weapon affects the brand new model I'm facing.
They brought out army books later on for AoS, though.

Mangod

Feb 20, 2011
09philj said:
xaszatm said:
https://warhammer40000.gw-hub.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2017/04/New-Edition-of-40K-FAQ.pdf

Games Workshop said:
Can I still use all my models?
Yes. Every Warhammer 40,000 miniature we sell today will be usable in the new edition of
Warhammer 40,000. What?s more, they?ll be supported with new rules, which will be available
from the get go in handy, low-cost books.
Games Workshop said:
How can I get the rules?
We?re going to make it easier than ever to get your hands on the rules and start playing.
The core rules for the game will be free, and you?ll have several options on how you get your
hands on the full rulebook. Watch this space for more.
Both of these suggest that the rules won't be free... and considering Age of Sigmar was "intended to be played with scenarios in mind, not pitted battles", and then conveniently placed all the scenarios in books that you had to shill out $40 for...

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Mangod said:
09philj said:
xaszatm said:
https://warhammer40000.gw-hub.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2017/04/New-Edition-of-40K-FAQ.pdf

Games Workshop said:
Can I still use all my models?
Yes. Every Warhammer 40,000 miniature we sell today will be usable in the new edition of
Warhammer 40,000. What?s more, they?ll be supported with new rules, which will be available
from the get go in handy, low-cost books.
Games Workshop said:
How can I get the rules?
We?re going to make it easier than ever to get your hands on the rules and start playing.
The core rules for the game will be free, and you?ll have several options on how you get your
hands on the full rulebook. Watch this space for more.
Both of these suggest that the rules won't be free... and considering Age of Sigmar was "intended to be played with scenarios in mind, not pitted battles", and then conveniently placed all the scenarios in books that you had to shill out $40 for...
The absolute basic rules are free. Point values, unit upgrades, formations, detachments and two of the game modes will be paid for.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Thaluikhain said:
09philj said:
xaszatm said:
They brought out army books later on for AoS, though.
The only extra stuff they contain is fluff and scenario rules, and if there's one thing the community can easily make themselves it's scenarios.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
jademunky said:
But seriously, while I have only ever played Warhammer in video game format, I get the gist of what is going on: New edition and new stuff and if all that was happening was that players had to shell out $25 for a new rulebook, I would have no problem.
You underestimate the cost of 50K considerably.

The base rule book in the region of $60, to actually play the game you will also need the Codex for whichever faction you are playing as, which is $30 to $40 on top of that. Some factions (Chaos Space Marines for example) even have supplemental codexes that cost another $25 on top of that.

So for two players playing different factions you shoot past $100 just for the rule books. Truly, it's cheaper to get into crack.

R Man

Dec 19, 2007
I'm going to disagree with the general thrust of complaints here and say that 'Sigmaring' 40K might actually work in a way that it didn't for Fantasy. Most of the basic changes are not so much of a shock. 40K already has roundbases and skirmish style movement. Things like ASM are could be very good changes, depending on writing. And of course 40K is already a clusterfuck, while Fantasy had stuck better to its core rules. I mean, Fantasy had is cheese and broken shit, but it was the epitome of balance compared to 40K.

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
fix-the-spade said:
jademunky said:
But seriously, while I have only ever played Warhammer in video game format, I get the gist of what is going on: New edition and new stuff and if all that was happening was that players had to shell out $25 for a new rulebook, I would have no problem.

The base rule book in the region of $60, to actually play the game you will also need the Codex for whichever faction you are playing as, which is $30 to $40 on top of that. Some factions (Chaos Space Marines for example) even have supplemental codexes that cost another $25 on top of that.

So for two players playing different factions you shoot past $100 just for the rule books. Truly, it's cheaper to get into crack.
Sweet crack. Seriously, that is messed up but unless you are in a genuine tournament, does it really matter? I mean, I know a few people that still play first edition dnd.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
fix-the-spade said:
jademunky said:

I think whats worse for me is stumbling across the current miniature prices - local toyshop had some and I was more than a little gobsmacked -

I remember thinking broadside suits at ?15 were a bit much about the time I got priced out, but now their ?30... I remember when that bought a landraider!

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Silentpony said:
Oh what could possibly go wrong?!
Roboute Guilliman is now a free, and mandatory inclusion in any Space Marine Army. In addition he has been re-tooled to have a 1+ invulnerable saving throw that may be re-rolled up to 5 times per wound.

lionsprey

Sep 20, 2010
it could be good... oh who am i fooling?`its going to be shit. i got lore inconsistency's just reading the introduction to the emperor
"He is the Master of Mankind by the will of the gods" he is master by his own will. the only gods that actually do stuff in 40k are the chaos gods and they have done nothing but try to stop him.
i dont give a shit about the models or rules anymore but i love the lore in all its ridiculous glory so knowing they are going to destroy it makes me sad.
at least it doesn't feel like they are making the Imperium the "good guys" according to their website.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Okay, looking at this entirely from a lore perspective
lionsprey said:
it could be good... oh who am i fooling?`its going to be shit. i got lore inconsistency's just reading the introduction to the emperor
"He is the Master of Mankind by the will of the gods" he is master by his own will. the only gods that actually do stuff in 40k are the chaos gods and they have done nothing but try to stop him.
1) You're forgetting the eldar gods and c'tan.

2) That text has been over and over long before this edition. It's not literal fact, since we know how the Emperor was born (shamans, Antolia, yadda yadda yadda), but it does match Imperial dogma.

On another note, can I escape being called a heretic and say, judging entirely by the lore, I'm fine with this? Guilliman's return was hinted at ages ago (left in stasis on Macragge, that's a dangling plot thread if I ever saw one), they're not retconning the Cadia campaign like they did with Storm of Chaos, and Ynnead actually forming is welcome for me. It seems that this is actually moving the setting forward, rather than outright dismanting it like they did for Warhammer Fantasy. Who knows, they might actually enter the 42nd millennium. To quote a setting that took inspiration from 40K, "hell, it's about time!"

Aug 31, 2012
jademunky said:
Sweet crack. Seriously, that is messed up but unless you are in a genuine tournament, does it really matter? I mean, I know a few people that still play first edition dnd.
Technically no, I still occasionally play Rogue Trader (1st ed), but Games Workshop provide a very convenient place to play. Turn up with your army and you can probably get a game, assuming you're playing the current edition. Don't expect to turn up with all your 4th ed or whatever stuff and expect them to let you play with those rules, even if someone else is up for it.

lionsprey

Sep 20, 2010
Hawki said:
Okay, looking at this entirely from a lore perspective
lionsprey said:
1) You're forgetting the eldar gods and c'tan.

2) That text has been over and over long before this edition. It's not literal fact, since we know how the Emperor was born (shamans, Antolia, yadda yadda yadda), but it does match Imperial dogma.

On another note, can I escape being called a heretic and say, judging entirely by the lore, I'm fine with this? Guilliman's return was hinted at ages ago (left in stasis on Macragge, that's a dangling plot thread if I ever saw one), they're not retconning the Cadia campaign like they did with Storm of Chaos, and Ynnead actually forming is welcome for me. It seems that this is actually moving the setting forward, rather than outright dismanting it like they did for Warhammer Fantasy. Who knows, they might actually enter the 42nd millennium. To quote a setting that took inspiration from 40K, "hell, it's about time!"
i didn't really count the C'tan because of the materium thing and that they have been shattered into a fuck ton of pieces. or the Eldar gods for the same reasons. also Gork and Mork.
moving the setting forward could be the best move GW could currently to do re invigorate 40k. however for it to be done well they have to have good writers and stuff like that. and i just dont trust GW to use good writers for their fluff.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Smithnikov said:
And this is why I stick to just the stand alone games...
Some of the stand alone games are kinda fun. Kill Team can be a blast, and the newest one Shadow War looks...well looks like Killteam all over again.

And Horus Heresy is still going to be 7th ed. Even GW doesn't have the balls to tell you those $100 black leather books are now worthless.

MASTACHIEFPWN

Will fight you and lose
Mar 27, 2010
In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only you giving Games Workshop more money.

I'm tepidly saying that things have been improving for most of games workshop, even on the front of Age of Sigmarines, but maybe they haven't forgotten all those toxic behaviors. It really sucks to think they'll probably retool their codices- 40$+ for a book that you use maybe 10 pages of.

From the FAQ: Wait, did you guys blow up the universe?
At least they know they fucked up in the past.

Voxoid

Nov 28, 2013
I left the tabletop game ages ago, and I'm pretty glad I did simply because of this reason with the past rules and codecies.

I've been building my WH40K Roleplay book collection for the past 2 years now, way more fun and involving.

Aug 31, 2012
Been looking at an article on warhammer community and what with other stuff I've heard, it sounds like 8th ed is going to be closer to 1st edition in a few ways.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/04/25/warhammer-40000-unit-profiles/