WARNING: Last of Us 2 has leaked

Adam Jensen

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
And that what happens when you get high on the hype or believe too much in it. I never hated the story of LofUs, but it was just another typical, cynical, zombie affair. The fact the press was hyping it as "The Citizen Kane of Gaming", was not helping. Naughty Dog ate that shit up, so they're just as responsible. There have been plenty of gaming stories done better than LofUs.
Naughty Dog gets too much praise for no reason. TLoU was absolutely a giant edgy cliche and the Uncharted series is a cliche as well. It's a poor man's Indiana Jones. Their writing isn't particularly good either. They're just copying Hollywood writing style.

Reactions: sXeth

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020

Adam Jensen

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
I wished something like this happened to Mass Effect 3. Knowing how cowardly EA is, they'd delay the game to fix the ending. And since it was just the ending it would have been possible.

What a crapfest. I'm so glad that I don't care one iota about The Last of Us.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
It's a poor man's Indiana Jones. Their writing isn't particularly good either. They're just copying Hollywood writing style.
All true, though I enjoyed most of the Uncharted games for what they were. Plus, they're unoffically some of the best Indiana Jones games out there.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
All true, though I enjoyed most of the Uncharted games for what they were. Plus, they're unoffically some of the best Indiana Jones games out there.

Neil Druckmann, the writer for The Last Of Us 1/2, is not the same writer for the Uncharted series. Amy Hennig Is the writer behind Uncharted. She also wrote the Legacy of Kain series. According to IGN she was "forced out" by Neil around the time of Uncharted 4.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Neil Druckmann, the writer for The Last Of Us 1/2, is not the same writer for the Uncharted series. Amy Hennig Is the writer behind Uncharted. She also wrote the Legacy of Kain series. According to IGN she was "forced out" by Neil around the time of Uncharted 4.
I am well aware of everything you posted. Just saying, I enjoyed the UC games for what they were. Nothing more; nothing less.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Well as someone who didn't think Last of Us was very good, yeah I can say I saw most of these spoilers coming. One or two I legit didn't even think the hacks at Naughty Dog could mess up, but hey its 2020. We'll be lucky if Last of Us 2 doesn't cause the marianas trench to spew giant tentacle lava squids.

Last edited:

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
Now I am wondering if there will be another one of those boycott movements on TLOU2. There was one for Battlefield V with "Don't like it, don't buy it" attitude from one of the devs, one for cyberpunk 2077 when the whole gender switch-and-match, and one for Blizzard itself with the whole Hong Kong movement thing.

The way Sony and/or Naughty Dog copy striking videos for simply talking about the game is ridiculous, and I am curious to see if how many people will pledge to not buy TLOU 2.

I personally don't give two shits about the game's release. The announcement was made four years ago, and the first game came out seven years ago. I loved the game, but too much time has passed for me to continue to care.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Now I am wondering if there will be another one of those boycott movements on TLOU2. There was one for Battlefield V with "Don't like it, don't buy it" attitude from one of the devs, one for cyberpunk 2077 when the whole gender switch-and-match, and one for Blizzard itself with the whole Hong Kong movement thing.
The problem with gamer "boycotts" is 95% of the time they do absolutely nothing! Especially when you are buying the game you're so supposed to be boycotting! Isn't that right MW2 and L4D2 fans?

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
The problem with gamer "boycotts" is 95% of the time they do absolutely nothing! Especially when you are buying the game you're so supposed to be boycotting! Isn't that right MW2 and L4D2 fans?
I always see these types of gamers regarding the boycott of games

Gamers who are die-hard fans and will buy the game at launch regardless (small percentage)
Gamers who will actually stick with the boycott (also a small percentage)
Gamers who don't give a shit about the controversy and buy the game to enjoy as it is (first majority of people I know)
And the gamers who don't give a shit about the controversy because they never cared about the game in the first place, and therefore will never get it (second majority of people I know)

I identify myself as the fourth group most of the time; Didn't care too much about The Last Guardian or Death Stranding, didn't get either of them, and therefore avoided the whole "not 10/10 rating" debacle altogether.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
This whole release/leak fiasco hasn’t affected my perception of or plan to get the game, as my reasons for waiting until it’s a *free* PS+ game are directly related to other factors, like a large backlog and the fact I’d still rather play old Uncharted’s than the original TLoU.

Having said that, I do hope this sequel is able to be judged as if none of this crap happened. The work should stand for itself without being tainted by extenuating circumstances.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Here is Jim Sterling with the word.

Also, the rumors about an inside employee turn out to be false. It turns out to be hackers apparently.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I have a feeling that this game is going to be so Woke, it'll ruin Naughty Dog for a lot of people.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
I have a feeling that this game is going to be so Woke, it'll ruin Naughty Dog for a lot of people.
Based on what I read they made the chars androgynous because apparently that's more akin to transgender people or something along those lines. I dunno about that, the ones I've seen are very gendered and not at all androgynous, they're just not appearing as the gender that matches their body parts.

In any case, when you sacrifice creativity so that the player will have someone closer to themselves to assiciate with, you lose my interest. I play games to be the thing FURTHEST from myself and to do stuff I don't get to do in reality. Not to be the thing closest to me. Especially not in games which aren't self-insert like Skyrim. Those I can see how some may want an option that looks like them or a varied char creation system but this is a story heavy game about an established character, not a game where you roleplay as yourself. If a game lets me I always go for the non-human characters as well, I instantly dove at the lizardman hero in Divinity 2 for example. One of my fav games of all time you play as a female Japanese deity in a male wolf body. That's transgender and trans-species and trans-being (not sure what to call a deity living life as a mortal), but people somehow don't tout it or virtue signal about it.

In any case, I had seen the writing on the wall with this game in particular so I had no hopes for it hence I am not disappointed. Hopefully their next game does better lol.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
They're throwing around hokey and pretty well worn themes.

Granted, that was already the case with the first. Which was mostly saved by character work and primarily outstanding performances and/or direction. Which was all in all bolted around a pretty plodding game cobbled together out of the generic third-person action mishmash stockpile.

Thats not to say they couldn't catch the proverbial lightnign again this time. Though looking at the spoilers,

the primary relationship thats meant to be shown is between two people who don't even face to face until the climax.
Thats probably not going to work out particularly well. And killing Father/mentor figure Joel off early on is kind of a worn cliche and unlikely to earn them much investment either.

There's also the whole thing where no part of the story is even vaguely related to the Zombie apocalypse going on. Which given the series main gimmick was its (sort of) unique take on zombies, makes this kind of wasted entry.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
@sXeth I don't think that initial plot point would be much of a big deal issue if that was all it was. Basic revenge story, or whatever.

But I think what the real problem is
Is that Joel is killed by a character the audience has no relation to and therefore no reason to give a shit about. Only to then have to play half the gameplaying this new character to hunt down Ellie. So basically a new character shows up, kills a fan favorite, then you have to play half the game as this new character while hunting down yet another fan favorite. Oh and this new character is supposedly M-to-F trans, making them even harder for the average player to relate to. Not to mention how does someone get hormones enough to look and sound female in the post apocalypse, whatever I suppose it might be possible if highly unlikely.

This is Naughty Dog's woke mentality now. Neil Drukman has "seen the light thanks to AnitaSarkesian" and he went off the woke deep end so hard he pushed away their star writer who was a WOMAN for fuck's sake. Amy Henning wrote the Uncharted series, and most of the Last of Us. She was pushed out during Uncharted 4's development by Neil because she shit wasn't woke enough, and the first thing he did was make sure that Ellie became Gay in the Last of Us DLC. Then he had Uncharted 4 rewritten.

Seriously fuck Naughty Dog and their bullshit.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
@sXeth I don't think that initial plot point would be much of a big deal issue if that was all it was. Basic revenge story, or whatever.

But I think what the real problem is
Is that Joel is killed by a character the audience has no relation to and therefore no reason to give a shit about. Only to then have to play half the gameplaying this new character to hunt down Ellie. So basically a new character shows up, kills a fan favorite, then you have to play half the game as this new character while hunting down yet another fan favorite. Oh and this new character is supposedly M-to-F trans, making them even harder for the average player to relate to. Not to mention how does someone get hormones enough to look and sound female in the post apocalypse, whatever I suppose it might be possible if highly unlikely.

This is Naughty Dog's woke mentality now. Neil Drukman has "seen the light thanks to AnitaSarkesian" and he went off the woke deep end so hard he pushed away their star writer who was a WOMAN for fuck's sake. Amy Henning wrote the Uncharted series, and most of the Last of Us. She was pushed out during Uncharted 4's development by Neil because she shit wasn't woke enough, and the first thing he did was make sure that Ellie became Gay in the Last of Us DLC. Then he had Uncharted 4 rewritten.

That part really doesn't seem supe-relevant in any capacity positive or negative. Ellie's love interest is there to get killed to move the plot forward, could be a favorite plant or a motorcycle and still function as the plot device.

Having the villain rpotagonist be trans, is of course, hardly groundbreaking (I remember back around andromeda, I pointed out we've had trans-characters since at least Chrono Trigger, and that one was probably a better representation then most modern game ones.)

Granted, its lazy, both for the practical concerns as you noted (though there was a fullly functional hospital doing bio-research in the previous game, and it srated in some sort of operating city). That and having your only trans-character be the villain is more walking a long running writing cliche then any sort of effort at ebeing proverbially "woke".[/spoiler[

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010

You okay there?

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
You okay there?

And this Quote from an interview:
You’ve said in the past that you’ve been influenced by Anita Sarkeesian’s Feminist Frequency videos and the larger conversation about diversity and representation in games. How did that affect Uncharted 4?

Druckmann:
When I’m introducing and describing a new character to our lead character concept artist, constantly she will ask, “What if it was a girl?” And I’m like, Oh, I didn’t think about that. Let me think, does that affect or change anything? No? Cool, that’s different. Yeah, let’s do it.

Initially, in the epilogue, it was Nate’s son. Something similar happened with the mansion they go into. That was an old English guy’s house. She asked, Well, what if it was a woman?

You have some sexist focus testers who were really upset by Nadine beating up Nate, and really upset at the end when it was Nate’s daughter. To the point where we had to ask one guy to leave. In his core, it just affected him. He was cursing, “Not you, too, Naughty Dog! Goddammit. I guess I’m done with Uncharted, if you guys ever make another one, with his daughter. This fucking bullshit.”

And I was like, Wow, why does that matter?"

He has literally named her as his Muse.