Was Tom Holland The Right Fit For Uncharted Role?

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States

What is the point of this thing? I didn't expect them to just ape scenes totally.

Edit: Leaked teaser removed on copyright grounds. It showed the movie's recreation of the airplane scene in Uncharted 3.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mister Mumbler

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
Edit: Leaked teaser removed on copyright grounds. It showed the movie's recreation of the airplane scene in Uncharted 3.
Yeah, they nuked that thing quick. Saw this post like a few minutes after you posted and it was already gone.

Reactions: BrawlMan

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States

Will probably be removed too.
Uncharted was never my vibe, so bare with me.

But one of the reasons why people always said Nathan Fillion should have been Drake is because both the actor and the character have a semi-imposing build, that is offset with their boyish charm and the seeming inability to take anything seriously.

I saw a kid flung around without an ounce of gravitas in that teaser.

Why do certain people always find their way into hollywood just to mess everything up? Who keeps giving them the power to do this? Why?

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009

But one of the reasons why people always said Nathan Fillion should have been Drake is because both the actor and the character have a semi-imposing build, that is offset with their boyish charm and the seeming inability to take anything seriously.

Why do certain people always find their way into hollywood just to mess everything up? Who keeps giving them the power to do this? Why?
I wouldn't say Nathan Drake has even a semi-imposing build, he's always just been kinda 'a guy'. I'd say Holland is about as physically imposing. But there was definitely the sense that he was kind of a man-child, whereas Tom Holland just has too much boyishness to him to get that across I think.

Honestly, that teaser doesn't look too bad, though that might be the grainy footage covering up whatever visual faults.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

My only objection to Tom Holland is that he's about five to seven years too young. I think he's a capable actor, but he's only 25 and still very baby faced - Leonardo Dicaprio had a similar problem until he grew his beard for Blood Diamond but he was a skilled actor also - compared to the rugged man of the world handsomeness Nathan Drake is meant to have. Like if they'd designed this to be Uncharted's answer to Young Indiana Jones I'd be more on-board since Nate would implicitly be younger and still learning.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Its super weird that they're already aping scenes from the games. I mean guys... you're not gonna do it any better than the games, come up with your own shit.

That said, I thought it wasn't bad. The only problem I'd say is that Holland's American accent sounds hella young, like he's still playing a teenage Peter Parker.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
If movies like Fast and Furious exist and make bank, this movie has every right to exist as well.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Soooo they're taking shit from Uncharted 4 too huh?

But hey, I feel a little less skeptical now. Still think that Holland looks and sounds way younger than he's meant to be, but his banter with Scully isn't bad. And they at least got Drake getting his ass handed to him by everything around him right.

Last edited:

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Looks quite alright. I mean, judging from this trailer it doesn't have that odd clumsy vibe that the Assassin's Creed and the latest Tomb Raider movie had. Still feels like something that's Uncharted in name only though (except for the plane bit of course) - I mean, I'm sure game Drake has had regular jobs before, but seeing Holland Drake work as a bartender feels very un-Drake somehow.

And as much as I dislike freaking Mark Wahlberg as Sully, it looks like at least they didn't go for the game origins of how the two met, which painted Sully as some weird groomer. Couldn't they at least have given him a moustache though, I mean come on.

Should this somehow be succesful though, didn't Tom Holland have a really bad time making this movie? He might not wanna even come back for a sequel.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Looks quite alright. I mean, judging from this trailer it doesn't have that odd clumsy vibe that the Assassin's Creed and the latest Tomb Raider movie had. Still feels like something that's Uncharted in name only though (except for the plane bit of course) - I mean, I'm sure game Drake has had regular jobs before, but seeing Holland Drake work as a bartender feels very un-Drake somehow.

And as much as I dislike freaking Mark Wahlberg as Sully, it looks like at least they didn't go for the game origins of how the two met, which painted Sully as some weird groomer. Couldn't they at least have given him a moustache though, I mean come on.

Should this somehow be succesful though, didn't Tom Holland have a really bad time making this movie? He might not wanna even come back for a sequel.
Looks horribly miscast. I like Tom Holland. He was great, for instance, in "The Devil All the Time". Just wrong for this role. Yet, his inclusion may be what got the film made to begin with.

Wahlberg is even worse casting for Sully. I hear you about the mustache.

There are a few Easter eggs in the trailer. Fun. Per usual, the trailer does tell us too much.

Uncharted 2 is in my all time top 10. I'm sure I will get around to seeing this.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Looks horribly miscast. I like Tom Holland. He was great, for instance, in "The Devil All the Time". Just wrong for this role. Yet, his inclusion may be what got the film made to begin with.

Wahlberg is even worse casting for Sully. I hear you about the mustache.

There are a few Easter eggs in the trailer. Fun. Per usual, the trailer does tell us too much.

Uncharted 2 is in my all time top 10. I'm sure I will get around to seeing this.
Would you say there's a ludonarrative dissonance between the game and the movie? ;)

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
The closest I think I can come to answering that is, to make a truly dramatic theatrical experience of the UnCharted series is to have (like Tomb Raider) come across as a mass murderer. You'd have to have Drake shoot dead a dozen people every few minutes. So, the movie is going to have to advance the story without all the mayhem.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
It looks okayish, but it really just comes off as average and unnecessary. I don't see Nate or Scully on screen. I just see Tom Holland and Mark Wahlberg playing as themselves. Wahlberg I am sick and tired of seeing on screen in general. It's why I've been avoiding any movies where he's the lead. I just don't like the guy and most of this characters he plays. Don't even get me started on the Max Payne movie he was in playing the title character.

It is always the fan film or shorts that get the feel better of game adaptations then a majority of these "officially licensed" properties.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
He still looks like a 17 year old wearing his father's suit trying to sneak into an R-Rated movie. Give Marvel credit, this picked someone who really does look like he's in high-school. But that's also a curse, because he still looks like he's in high-school.

I suppose he'd be great as any anime protagonist ever, but Drake? Eh...

Adam Jensen

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
I don't even care about these types of movies and I can confidently say that he's a terrible choice. He's just not a very good actor. All I see in that trailer is the same character that he plays in Marvel movies. He doesn't have the range or the charisma to pull off Nathan Drake. It's not a stretch to predict that this will be a bad movie.

Also, do these people not know how fast a plane is going? You can't jump from outside the plane to inside the plane, no matter how close you are to it. You can literally be 50 cm away, that plane is already gone by the time you jump.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
WHY DO THEY KEEP DOING THIS!!!!!?

Fuck man!

There is absolutely NO FUCKING REASON to change the characters! Nathan Drake a young bartender who's brother was some sort of treasure hunter? That's not who Drake is? Why the fuck are you trying to change so much shit everytime. The video game already wrote the fucking story for you, just make it a specticle live-action film that's ALL you have to do.

Again I'm tell you guys, this is because these films writers can't get their original scripts approved. Because their original crap sucks so much assjuice, they take jobs writing out these video games scripts and think they are so clever in changing shit with their original ideas.

Also yes Tom Holland is a stupid choice, Drake really isn't that young of a character in the first game to begin with.

You know who would have been awesome? Nathan Fillion who is already a fan of the series and has the perfect act for being Drake.

He even made a fan film that's already 100X than this hollywood trash.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Nathan Fillion is one of those actors I would watch in just about anything because he has such great timing, screen presence and charm. Hell I watch the Rookie, and I hate TV shows and Cop dramas, but fuck it Nathan Fillion makes Firefly references, so can do!
I don't get why they cast Tom Holland either. Well I say that, I know exactly why. They were hoping the deal between Marvel and Sony would fall through, and they could get him for cheap because he'd no longer have a Marvel contract. But it didn't, so he's playing a mid-20s world renowned treasure hunter, and a 16 year old wet behind the ears doe in the headlights superhero.

Shame too, 'cause Nathan Fillion deserves his own blockbuster movie franchise.

Reactions: CriticalGaming