Was Tom Holland The Right Fit For Uncharted Role?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
There is absolutely NO FUCKING REASON to change the characters! Nathan Drake a young bartender who's brother was some sort of treasure hunter? That's not who Drake is? Why the fuck are you trying to change so much shit everytime.
Because a hero...will rise! Generic Hollywood, feel good, garbo.

Also, the games, mainly 3 and 4 (worse in 4) had a nasty habit of retconning or changing things for no reason. It feeds in to itself really. Sully went from being just a guy Nate knew barely a few years (1), to mainly his mid adult life (2), to recton again and claim they met each other since Nate was a teen (3). Sully ends up adopting him. UC3 also changed Nate's backstory with a twist that he was never actually related to Sir Francis Drake. He only said that to lie to himself and feel better.

UC4 retcons this again, and claims that Drake, and his older brother who never exsisted, Sam are both blood related to said treasure hunter the entire time. Just to make them feel (mainy the player character) special and how treasure hunting is "in the blood". I really hate the story to Uncharted 4.

Last edited:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I really hate the story to Uncharted 4.
i still haven't played it or the Lost Legacy game. I have them, but I never got around to them because i got the vibe that Druckman was already making Nate even more of a clown to promote his female empowerment fetish. Still i should probably go back and play them at some point. I really really like Lara Baily's voice.

Oh new season of Critical Role starts tonight too.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
i still haven't played it or the Lost Legacy game. I have them, but I never got around to them because i got the vibe that Druckman was already making Nate even more of a clown to promote his female empowerment fetish. Still i should probably go back and play them at some point. I really really like Lara Baily's voice.

Do as you wish. I do say at least play 4 once and never touch it again. Lost Legacy, just ties up some loose ends and at least de-powers Nadine. I still don't like the biatch and finder her unsympathetic, and I suggest just playing the game for Chloe. Lost Legacy is a better Tomb Raider game, than the entire TR reboot trilogy. You get something at least.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Looks quite alright. I mean, judging from this trailer it doesn't have that odd clumsy vibe that the Assassin's Creed and the latest Tomb Raider movie had. Still feels like something that's Uncharted in name only though (except for the plane bit of course) - I mean, I'm sure game Drake has had regular jobs before, but seeing Holland Drake work as a bartender feels very un-Drake somehow.
Bartender makes perfect sense to me. People talk to bartenders, there are bars all over the world and the further a field you go the less actual protocol is in place about hiring you, and as jobs go you need to be tough to tend bar.

Shame too, 'cause Nathan Fillion deserves his own blockbuster movie franchise.
I still bemoan he was never approached to play a live action Hal Jordan. I mean it would still need to be a better movie on every level than the first Green Lantern film, but Fillion would have been a better fit for the role instead of Reynolds.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Do as you wish. I do say at least play 4 once and never touch it again. Lost Legacy, just ties up some loose ends and at least de-powers Nadine. I still don't like the biatch and finder her unsympathetic, and I suggest just playing the game for Chloe. Lost Legacy is a better Tomb Raider game, than the entire TR reboot trilogy. You get something at least.
DONT you dare! Don't give me hope like that!

First off the first reboot game was great. The second was pretty good. The 3rd was a faceplant into a pile of dinosaur shit, which retroactively fucked up the previous games for me. So by saying it's even better than the triology is a formerly high bar for me.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
DONT you dare! Don't give me hope like that!

First off the first reboot game was great. The second was pretty good. The 3rd was a face plant into a pile of dinosaur shit, which retroactively fucked up the previous games for me. So by saying it's even better than the trilogy is a formerly high bar for me.
I'll give leeway to the first game, but the rest just felt like lazy retreads, and unnecessary retcons on top that suffer the same issues like Uncharted, but even worse. Keep in mind, I never been a big fan of TR in gerenal: original or reboot. I played the original PS1 trilogy back in the day, but I never cared much for Lara nor the franchise. For me at least, it's not much of a high bar, if Crystal Dynamics weren't trying that much other than more cruel ways Lara can suffer or die. They had potential with the story, but managed to screw that up hard.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I'll give leeway to the first game, but the rest just felt like lazy retreads, and unnecessary retcons on top that suffer the same issues like Uncharted, but even worse. Keep in mind, I never been a big fan of TR in gerenal: original or reboot. I played the original PS1 trilogy back in the day, but I never cared much for Lara nor the franchise. For me at least, it's not much of a high bar, if Crystal Dynamics weren't trying that much other than more cruel ways Lara can suffer or die. They had potential with the story, but managed to screw that up hard.
Agreed. I really liked the new Lara and I thought that the crazy shit that happens in the first reboot game was a great possible foundation. Because old school Lara was a fucking Psychopath. Like she fucking did not give a shit and was badass in a way. It would have been so cool to watch young Lara go from a sweet girl to a hardass nightmare through experiencing trama and manipulation from these forces around her.

But you know......they fucked that right up so.....oh well i guess. Could have been a good exploration of a character, instead just dumpster trash.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Because old school Lara was a fucking Psychopath. Like she fucking did not give a shit and was badass in a way. It would have been so cool to watch young Lara go from a sweet girl to a hardass nightmare through experiencing trama and manipulation from these forces around her.

But you know......they fucked that right up so.....oh well i guess. Could have been a good exploration of a character, instead just dumpster trash.
The whole "Lara is a psychopath" is wildly exaggerated. Other than some minor parts in the 3rd game and Last Revelation, she's pretty fair. Well....fair as far as you get from someone taking artifacts from sacred cultures, because she's bored or it would look great in her living room. It wasn't until Angel of Darkness, a rushed, shitty developed game that derailed Lara in to a cold psychopathic biatch that people started misremembering and getting the different characterizations mixed up.

Last edited:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
The whole "Lara is a psychopath" is wildly exaggerated. Other than some minor parts in the 3rd game and Last Revelation, she's pretty fair. Well....fair as far as you get from someone taking artifacts from sacred cultures, because she's bored or it would look great in her living room. It wasn't until Angel of Darkness, a rushed, shitty developed game that derailed Lara in to a cold psychopathic biatch that people started misremembering and getting the different characterizations mixed up.
Still could have been an interesting character exploration regardless.

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
You know, I feel like if I was casting for a wise-cracking, slightly bumbling adventurer that you also want to see punched in the face over and over again, I would have had Markie-Mark play him, not the old mentor character (who doesn't look old).

Reactions: Kwak

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

Which is ridonkulous seeing as both of them are objectively more fun and far less fetishy than TLoU2, which you’ve bloody platinum’d. Dust those fuckers off ASAP!

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
I liked The Lost Legacy a lot more than Uncharted 4. Must've helped that it was not written or directed by Druckmann. It didn't hammer the characterization so hard at the expense of the adventure, like Uncharted 4. The climax is the best setpiece in the whole series, in my opinion. There's more going on than in the similar one in Uncharted 2. Helps the sense of satisfaction and reward that it is at the end. It genuinely excited me. Another plus for dropping all the journals. Way overdone is gaming. Lazy way to tell a story, and rather boring. Funny that none of them degraded away in the tropics over hundreds of years.

Last edited:

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I liked The Lost Legacy a lot more than Uncharted 4. Must've helped that it was not written or directed by Druckmann. It didn't hammer the characterization so hard at the expense of the adventure, like Uncharted 4. The climax is the best setpiece in the whole series, in my opinion. There's more going on than in the similar one in Uncharted 2. Helps the sense of satisfaction and reward that it is at the end. It genuinely excited me. Another plus for dropping all the journals. Way overdone is gaming. Lazy way to tell a story, and rather boring. Funny that none of them degraded away in the tropics over hundreds of years.
They still found it necessary though to give Chloe daddy issues for no reason. But yeah, Lost Legacy condenses all the good stuff in one tight little package. Though while it was highly appreciated that Chloe got some love in the form of her own game, it's a shame this is probably the last we'll ever see of her.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Which is ridonkulous seeing as both of them are objectively more fun and far less fetishy than TLoU2, which you’ve bloody platinum’d. Dust those fuckers off ASAP!
TBF I only platinumed it because it was easy as hell. Uncharted games are very difficult to platinum based off the Completionist videos.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
TBF I only platinumed it because it was easy as hell. Uncharted games are very difficult to platinum based off the Completionist videos.

It’s the MP stuff for me, although 4 really dialed back those requirements and replaced it with expanded tedious tasks given the bigger maps. It’s why I’ve only bothered Platinuming the original.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
WHY DO THEY KEEP DOING THIS!!!!!?

Fuck man!

There is absolutely NO FUCKING REASON to change the characters! Nathan Drake a young bartender who's brother was some sort of treasure hunter? That's not who Drake is? Why the fuck are you trying to change so much shit everytime. The video game already wrote the fucking story for you, just make it a specticle live-action film that's ALL you have to do.

Again I'm tell you guys, this is because these films writers can't get their original scripts approved. Because their original crap sucks so much assjuice, they take jobs writing out these video games scripts and think they are so clever in changing shit with their original ideas.

Also yes Tom Holland is a stupid choice, Drake really isn't that young of a character in the first game to begin with.

You know who would have been awesome? Nathan Fillion who is already a fan of the series and has the perfect act for being Drake.

He even made a fan film that's already 100X than this hollywood trash.
It kinda feels like Sony had to use Holland (even though he himself said it was a bloody mistake) because Spider-Man. Like the thinking was just Durr he’s recognized and sells well in that role so why not?

Also Jim Ryan should resign ASAP. He doesn’t seem to know jack shit about running a company without alienating the established good will that was there when he showed up thanks to people like Yoshida and Shawn.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
It kinda feels like Sony had to use Holland (even though he himself said it was a bloody mistake) because Spider-Man. Like the thinking was just Durr he’s recognized and sells well in that role so why not?

Also Jim Ryan should resign ASAP. He doesn’t seem to know jack shit about running a company without alienating the established good will that was there when he showed up thanks to people like Yoshida and Shawn.
That is very strange for an actor to come out and just be like, "Yeah I shouldn't have done this role." Before a movie comes out.