Watch Star Wars Episode VII's First Official Trailer Right Here

Norix596

Nov 2, 2010
You can NEVER escape Tatooine! Honestly there was more to this trailer than I was expecting for a "first reveal"; if it was basically just a slow pan of the title with some vague voice-over I wouldn't have been surprised.

nightmare_gorilla

Jan 22, 2008
so... i thought the storm troopers were all clones at this point... aren't they all suposed to be clones of bobba fetts dad or something? why the black guy? did the clone troops go away at some point? i'm not big into the star wars mythos so I might have missed something.

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
I lol'd at the claymore lightsaber. I lol'd hard.

Other than that, it had some cool set pieces (the X-Wings flying low across the water was really cool, and actually reminded me of some of the stuff I used to do for fun back when I played a lot of Rogue Squadron. Man, that was a good game. Shame EA doesn't like money.)

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Zachary Amaranth said:
This didn't show me much, it didn't impress me much, but I did enjoy the shot of the Falcon. Seriously, the best part was the intro of the Williams theme and the Falcon.

Scarim Coral said:
Also light crossguard now?
Considering how many SWRPG fans have done something like this (And I think it exists in supplements), I'm surprised it took them this long.
Yeah, I guess that would make Henry a hispter now (well ok there probably other character who had a lightsaber like weapons but with a light/ lazer crossguard to do along with it).
[img src="http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100204175603/nomoreheroes/images/5/50/Henry3.png" img src]

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Jamieson 90 said:
From the top of my head I can think of 5 examples of when someone got their hand(s) cut off due to a light saber. 1) Anakin, 2) Count Dooku, (3) General Grievous, 4) Luke and 5) Vader.

Of those 5 examples, if we accept that only one would have been prevented by the guard, that's still a 1 in 5 probability of saving your hand opposed to a 0 in 5 chance. Would you really turn down something that would give you an extra 20% chance of survival?
Anakin/Vader lost a total of five limbs to a lightsaber, none of which would have been saved by the cross guard. Dooku lost two. Grievous lost two or more, of which one MAY have been prevented. Mace Windu also lost at least one hand.

That's some really terrible math (to get to a 20% chance). It's also poor logic, assuming no downside and only an upside. It also assumes that Obi-Wan couldn't just cut through the crosspiece, since there's ample room between the hilt and the beginning of the cross blade, assuming that he did slide down the hilt. In fact, it'd guide a blade right to the cross point. And we know that can happen, since it happened with Maul's saber.

nightmare_gorilla said:
so... i thought the storm troopers were all clones at this point... aren't they all suposed to be clones of bobba fetts dad or something? why the black guy? did the clone troops go away at some point? i'm not big into the star wars mythos so I might have missed something.
That was true back in the prequel era. They opened recruitment well after that, and this is something like 40 years later.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Zachary Amaranth said:
Zontar said:
I know this doesn't look nearly as bad as the prequels where, but god this did not make me feel excited at all. It just looked and felt like a well make fan film or a made-for-tv-movie type production. I know we have a whole year of post for them to work the kinks out, but god my hopes that this would rekindle the franchise are gone.
I'll take a well-made fan film over the prequels.
That's a pretty low bar you've set there. I actually remember watching some fan films that where pretty dame good. I just hope the actual movie isn't of the same production quality.

Tumedus

Jul 13, 2010
Honestly, yuck.

Since it is the first thing people are talking about, the lightsaber crossguards are dumb. Not light-whip or light-nunchucks dumb, but dumb none the less.

But that wasn't what looked bad to me. Even with the quick cuts, you could tell the Storm Trooper scene had a strobe effect going on. And the camera rotation on the Falcon was so over the top (no pun intended). The voice over didn't work at all. There were no aliens. There was no SPACE! The tone of the trailer lacked any sense of wonder at all. And, perhaps worst of all, the stuff that did feel like Star Wars seemed out of place.

I think the references to Super 8 are right on the mark. It really felt like a soulless imitation of a Star Wars film without understanding what made Star Wars work.

No evidence of anything Jar Jar bad, though, so there is still a good chance that the story will be better than the prequels. And the sound effects were spot on.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
nightmare_gorilla said:
Maybe he's an impostor or something like that? Luke and Han dress up as stormtroopers in the first movie.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Scarim Coral said:
Yeah, I guess that would make Henry a hispter now (well ok there probably other character who had a lightsaber like weapons but with a light/ lazer crossguard to do along with it).
[img src="http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100204175603/nomoreheroes/images/5/50/Henry3.png" img src]
Only if his laser sword is organic and fair trade. ;)

Zontar said:
That's a pretty low bar you've set there.
That's the bar the movies have set.

MiskWisk

Mar 17, 2012
Well, what I thought has pretty much already been said but I will clarify that I am not impressed.

On a side note, has anyone else noticed that the so called guard will do absolutely nothing to catch another blade? There is a good inch - inch and a half maybe? - of hilt between the guard and the blade that another lightsaber can easily slip through. The only benefit I can think to having the guards is to suddenly activate them and try to take someone by surprise in a blade lock but for less effort you could use a wrist mounted blade, shoulder mounted weapon or literally anything else that is mechanised.

Also that rolling droid thing. Why? I understand this is Star Wars but that design should have been laughed out of the room the moment it was suggested.

o_d

Mar 27, 2011
For y'all complaining about the dangers of the cross-guard, the sword has metal cross-guard prongs before the lightsabre part happens. So moving your hand up and down the hilt wont see your fingers burnt off.

webkilla

Feb 2, 2011
So ya...

I liked the trailer - looks promising. I enjoyed the use of practical sets, costumes and whatnot

The rolling-robot... we'll see how that pans out

The lightsaber-claymore - hmmm.... the way those crossguards are set up they're just not practical. A hit going down the length of the blade will chop off the cross-guard emitters. Still, we'll see how it works out

Beyond that? X-wings! yay! Looks nice

o_d

Mar 27, 2011
Paulhorne Schillings said:
See, it's callbacks like the Millenium Falcon that give me warning signs that the movie's not about being an entertaining, standalone film, but rather a film about a film that was standalone entertaining.
This is only a teaser, and all a teaser is supposed to do is get people excited at the idea of the film, while not detailing anything about the plot or characters. Images of famous stuff from star wars is pretty much all anyone could expect for a teaser.

O maestre

Nov 19, 2008
I don't really care about practicality or not, I just think the damn things is ugly. Same goes for U-haul speederbike.
It is way to early to call, but this trailer has not set any hype or kindled any nostalgia or childhood wonderment in me.

Then again I have been doubtful of this project ever since the news broke that some of the old actors would be in it.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Oh Jesus, Mr. Plinkett will have a field day.

I honestly thought this was a parody video at first. Of all the many scenes they could have shown us, black storm trooper and robot soccer were apparently the most important? I'm happy they got rid of the clones, and the idea that the storm troopers are real people with wants and dreams is a welcome change of pace, but is this really the first thing we need to see? What was up with the lightsaber? That design caused me physical pain, like it probably would the user. I have no love for Abrams, but this is... some how worse then I feared. So much worse. I can just see Abrams and Lucas jerking each other off in the concept art room.

Abrams may have achieved the impossible... a film far worse then Phantom Menace. The series is long dead Abrams, stop poking it with a stick.

Thankfully our Lord and Saviour has given us a sci-fi film we can all enjoy. Let us all flee to the Interstellar screenings at once, and there remember what real movies look like.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
The shot with the black man jumping up so suddenly, the R2D2 soccer ball, and the flying fridge all had me thinking that this was a joke. This trailer really just seemed like a poorly edited mess. Hopefully that's just because it's a teaser.
Darth Rosenberg said:
and the other two didn't exactly measure up to anything, either.
Gee, I must be one of the only people around here who genuinely enjoyed Revenge of the Sith.

small

Aug 5, 2014
albino boo said:
Wasn't that Benedict Cumberbatch doing the voice over?

Ryan Hughes said:
Is this a good time to reveal how much I dislike the Star Wars films? Or, will that just lead to torches, pitchforks, and awkward conversations about what is to be done with my dead body?
Nope, no awkward conversations about what is to be done with your dead body. It will be put in giant wicker Greedo and burnt as an offering to the gods to restore Han shooting first.
all hail to the han. let it be done in his name !

i liked the teaser.

Dimitriov

The end is nigh.
May 24, 2010
Drakoorr said:
You know, when I first saw the lightsaber w/crossguard, I groaned a bit too, but thinking about it it's actually quite reasonable for the same reasons as real swords having had crossguards, only more so because there's no gauntlet in the galaxy that will save your hand from a lightsaber. Hell, I'm pretty sure that's how Grevious lost at least one of his hands when fighting Obi-Wan, maybe the Sith are learning. And on the topic of daft designs, I reckon whoever thought of lightsaber nunchucks wins the gold medal. Pretty sure those were a thing in the expanded universe.
Except that a strike coming down the blade of that lightsaber wouldn't hit the energy crossguards and be deflected... it would slide down into the handle mechanism because the crossguards extend uselessly out to the sides.