We Dare Gets 12+ Rating, Parents Go Nuts

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Wait, they're outright misunderstanding how ratings work? Well, that might explain a few things... 12+ does not equal "marketed to". I'm fairly sure that Psychonauts was not done with 13-year-olds in mind.

Anyways, the rating most DEFINITELY does not match the marketing campaign. I'm not sure who's at fault here, yet.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
WelshDanny said:
Correction: Labour MP...

When will Americans learn to spell correctly? :(
When others learn that Americans have different ways of spelling and it's not the end of the world.

PowerC

Feb 28, 2011
Crap, I hope this dosen't mean Ubisoft's trying to pull a "Your Mom Will Hate it" type ad campaign, god knows the gaming industry dosen't need that...

El Danny said:
What's that? You don't think your kids should be playing this game?

Don't Buy It For Them Then. Problem Sorted.

Stop having tantrums when the rest of the world refuses to parent your children for them.
Exactly!

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
This is ridiculous. Just because a game is content-rated at 12, doesn't mean that it's for 12 year olds. Flight simulators, and games like Championship manager have a low rating, but it doesn't mean that they are for 6 year olds. Just because it's content is suitable for a certain age range, doesn't mean it's aimed at that age group

It's not like the advert is even aimed at kids! If it was, then anger would be justified. It's aimed at casual adult gamers with more money then sense. It's basically booze for shy, desperate teetotal people, or for when booze isn't enough, or for when you've had too much booze, and are about to have an orgy where you wake up with a gaming console shoved somewhere uncomfortable.

Looking at that ad, it doesn't even look like like you need to do stupid things to win at the game. I wonder if there's a single player mode, where this is only one wrist movement...

standokan

May 28, 2009
The Imp said:
standokan said:
I've got to admit, 12 is waaaaaaaay too low.
Oh come on. I've played Twister when i was 12 and that lead to my first gf. What's next? Ban Twister because people invade each others "personal space"? Ban bottles because you could spin them? That is so fucking stupid. Heads are blown off left and right in videogames and no one gives a fuck but when people play a, admittedly stupid, movement game or RPG with sexual scenes everyone and their mom freaks the fuck out? In that regard, the UK and USA aren't that different from some countries in the middle east.
*looks at avatar* for some reason I don't really trust you, I meant it more like 12-year-olds-really-shouldn't-be-playing-that, but I can understand how my comment was a little ambiguous, or rather that my comment was super misleading so it was more my fault, I should've said "young" instead of "low"

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
I guess those parents just boosted underage interest in the game far more than Ubisoft's marketing ever could; or even aimed at.

If there isn't anything in the digital content offensive to anybody over 12, then it shouldn't be rated higher than that.

Katana314

Oct 4, 2007
If a parent is letting a 12-year-old girl spend a night party with a 12-year-old boy, and they both have feelings of "making like adults", then a game on its own is not going to exacerbate that problem. Besides, since it's all implied stuff onscreen, I actually have guesses that they wouldn't even play it "correctly".

But of course I agree that parents definitely SHOULDN'T be buying this game for their kids. I at least hope the box art makes it clear what the game is implying.

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
So a mini game commercial featuring purely an adult audience enjoying it is marketing to children? And there is about as much sexual content in it as looking at a picture of a bikini model..? Fuck it, more like watching the Ash/Misty romance subplot on Pokemon.

While I agree the 12+ rating might be a little.. low, this stuff just looks tame. Heck, it could probably fit into Solomon's Sexual ehm.. "poetry" and be the most tame aspect of it if the Bible is looking for "DLC".

-_-

TheGuiggleMonster

Feb 11, 2011
There is nothing illegal about encouraging underaged sex as far as I know. This game definitely deserves no more than a 12. Having underaged sex is different.

Video game raters like PEGI can't rate games based on content that isn't in them. That's just silly.

hyperdrachen

Jan 1, 2008
El Danny said:
What's that? You don't think your kids should be playing this game?

Don't Buy It For Them Then. Problem Sorted.

Stop having tantrums when the rest of the world refuses to parent your children for them.
The complaint is that the rating system meant to help people make educated choices about what to buy thier children has misstepped here.

I want games to remain internally regulated without government authority, and lenient with the ratings is not a good way to garner the trust nescessary. The advertising and marketing suggest a far more adult tone to the game than a 12+ rating would suggest. The content in the game itself is not really problematic, but what it's asking of the player is the concern.

This is the first time I can think of where, HOW the player interacts with the game can change the perception of it's content.

On another note... This is the most embarassing commercial I have ever seen... only drunk people could put themselves through this(see: not 12-18). How long do you think it takes for the case to come out where somone gets raped witha wiimote?
The Imp said:
standokan said:
I've got to admit, 12 is waaaaaaaay too low.
Oh come on. I've played Twister when i was 12 and that lead to my first gf. What's next? Ban Twister because people invade each others "personal space"? Ban bottles because you could spin them? That is so fucking stupid. Heads are blown off left and right in videogames and no one gives a fuck but when people play a, admittedly stupid, movement game or RPG with sexual scenes everyone and their mom freaks the fuck out? In that regard, the UK and USA aren't that different from some countries in the middle east.
Those violent games and rpgs with sex scenes, are not rated for 12 year olds. THis confusion is completely ubisofts fault. The ads for twister did not involve spanking each other and stripping. Bottles are used to hold stuff, kids exchange the idea of spinning it with each other, the bottle doesn't instruct them to do so. But this games ad campaign clearly shows a sexual tone, and adult target audience, which is fine, but the issue is muddied by it's 12+ Rating. You can say, go play the game, and yes that is ideal, but if you can't look at promotional material, and read the rating and get a decent idea of what the game is about, then the rating system becomes useless.

Imagine walking into a video store and seeing a dvd cover with a womens parted lips and a strawberry sensually pressed against her bottom lip and tongue. You glance in the corner and it says rated G. When even the cover, would pass for a PG rating, would you not be confused.

WOPR

Aug 18, 2010
kurupt87 said:
This is all just so fucking pathetic.
Well lets look at the sad side

now parents can abuse spank their kids nonstop provided they're 12 or older
and claim "We were playing Wii!"

yeah this is definatly going to be a bigger deal then it should be... what kind of 12 year old would want this game when he can get Pokemon! (the exact same game it was 20+ years ago!)

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
family friendly console
Andy, can you do me a favor and tell Mr. Vaz (and indeed all politicians) that I never want to hear that combination of words again?

Inuprince

Aug 12, 2008
It seems Ubisoft wants their own episode from Extra Credits on bad marketing ...

With this ad, I'm not surprised that a 12+ rating caused an outrage, especially if the game is really intended to bring out this kind of sexual behaviour in people. They should put it up to 16+ rating, and then there would be no problems with this, since kids these days seem to have done everything, or even more then what is shown in this video by the time they turn 16.

Distorted Stu

Sep 22, 2009
Damn thats hot.

Yeah baby lick that wii remote.. catch them germs..

OT: There isnt much in this game but imagination left to the player.