We should eat insects

royohz

Official punching bag!
Jul 23, 2009
So after inspiring myself by engaging myself in the recently popular veganism thread [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.378132-Veganism-why], I thought I'd actually make my own thread regarding the eating of insects. I suggest you meet the thread with an open mind.

The act of eating insects is called entomophagy [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entomophagy], and is only distinguished from other food in the developed world, because it's completely normal. If you haven't already read the wikipedia article on it, I'm happy to inform you that people in 80% of the worlds nations eat insects on a regular basis.

Eating insects makes sense. Practically every animal on the planet does it, either voluntarily or by "accident", and you do too. Insects are constantly in our food. It's in our juice, chocolate, vegetables and every article of processed food out there. It's impossible to avoid, and that's okay! Insects are an excellent source of protein. They are low in cholesterol and bad fats, and the risk for diseases is much lower than that of "traditional meats". Plus, it's very much more environment friendly than other meats. The feed to meat ratio of insects versus cattle is 10:9 and 10:1 respectively.

I'll leave this video here for now because I have some things that need to be done! You can also read any articles you find on the subject and leave it here. I'm genuinely interested to see what your general opinion on the matter is!

It's a little buggy at first, but it gets better. Also, turn down the volume for the intro! You have been warned.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
Om nom.

I'm technically all for it, but I think for my delicate and refined palate they'd have to be processed into some sort of bar or paste form.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
royohz said:
It's a little buggy at first

I'm not sure if that was on purpose but I felt it deserved a Rimshot.

Anyway, I don't really see myself having a problem with this (as long as the little buggers aren't moving). There's so many weird [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pink_slime] things in our processed food anyway that I can't imagine that this would be that much more disgusting. Hell, by now, you've probably eaten some bug [http://www.cracked.com/article_15982_5-horrifying-food-additives-youve-probably-eaten-today.html] stuff today and didn't realize it.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
In some cultures people do eat bugs haven't you guys ever heard of chocolate ants and stuff?

royohz

Official punching bag!
Jul 23, 2009
aba1 said:
In some cultures people do eat bugs haven't you guys ever heard of chocolate ants and stuff?
Umm, yeah. Most of the cultures on earth eats bugs. =)
tippy2k2 said:
royohz said:
It's a little buggy at first

I'm not sure if that was on purpose but I felt it deserved a Rimshot.
Whoa, I didn't notice that until now that you pointed it out. Ha ha.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
I'd go for it. I mean, some of my favorite foods are already arthropods (mainly various types of crab and shrimp). What's so different about eating land based arthropods? Especially some of the bigger spiders, the meat of which I hear really is just like crab meat.

Insects are less interesting as a food source to me than arachnids, but only because most species are smaller and therefore less meaty. I mean, grasshoppers are a popcorn substitute, not a decent alternative to a steak or a piece of chicken.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
aba1 said:
Well, those countries probably need JESUS!

Ahem, excuse me. This made me hungry. I'll go eat a roast spider. Well, due to lack of this delicacy, I'll have to resort to good ol' meat. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Yeah no, sorry.

When I swallow an insect involuntary it's because it's involuntary. And when it happened I never thought to myself, "thank you, may I have another", I was too busy gaging. I'm sure there are certain kinds of grasshoppers and snails that taste fine and dandy, but there would be no practical reason for me to eat them other than for the odd novelty.

I'll stick with chicken, beef, and ham.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Casual Shinji said:
Yeah no, sorry.

When I swallow an insect involuntary it's because it's involuntary. And when it happened I never thought to myself, "thank you, may I have another", I was too busy gaging. I'm sure there are certain kinds of grasshoppers and snails that taste fine and dandy, but there would be no practical reason for me to eat them other than for the odd novelty.

Mmm, snails. You've just reminded me of another of my favorite types of seafood: conch fritters. Seriously, what is it about sea borne bugs that makes them okay to eat in the mind of the average person, but not land based ones?

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Casual Shinji said:
Yeah no, sorry.

Mmm, snails. You've just reminded me of another of my favorite types of seafood: conch fritters. Seriously, what is it about sea borne bugs that makes them okay to eat in the mind of the average person, but not land based ones?
I'm not an expert on the subject, but I do think there's a significant difference between arthropods on dry land and those in the sea. One of them being that one has the capabilty to grow way larger than the other, due to their environment. Also land arthropods have the image of being poisonous, hairy, and... scary.

I myself would be totally okay eating lobster or shrimp, but would most likely throw up if I had to eat a spider or a scorpion. Probably because I've stomped on numerous of the latter two, and the end result never seemed like something I'd want to cook and eat.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Well I remember trying a fried maggot once in this zoo althought I did it more as a dare.
Not sure what to think of trying other more insects as they are tiny to eat (well I've seen that insect burger in this documentry). I mean if more people try it and like it that could create a sudden decrease of insects but yet again I could be wrong (depend how fast they can reproduce vs people in demand wanting to buying them to eat it).

Aris Khandr

Oct 6, 2010
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Think about how large a shrimp needs to be before you'd actually be able to taste it. If spiders get that big, I DO NOT WANT TO KNOW ABOUT IT! Seriously, you could not pay me to put a spider in my mouth.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Insects ARE higher in protein and lower in fat than an equal amount of any other meat.

That said, I won't eat them for the same reason I won't eat mushrooms, because . I've had a piece of roasted tarantula before... never again.

If someone managed to hide them in a food where I didn't notice them, then yeah, I'd eat them.

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
I've never tried insects myself but I am definitely interested in it. I figure, why not?

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
Scarim Coral said:
Well I remember trying a fried maggot once in this zoo althought I did it more as a dare.
Not sure what to think of trying other more insects as they are tiny to eat (well I've seen that insect burger in this documentry). I mean if more people try it and like it that could create a sudden decrease of insects but yet again I could be wrong (depend how fast they can reproduce vs people in demand wanting to buying them to eat it).
Hah. A sudden decrease of insects...
That's the sort of thing that just ain't gonna happen.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
No, no no.
I don't even eat onions because I don't like the way they crunch. Imagine eating a bug.
Bleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeugh.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
I'd eat insects mashed into an unrecognizable paste and mixed with something else. If you mean just eating fried grasshoppers, nope I'm gonna have to pass.

DANEgerous

Jan 4, 2012
I would start, to be honest I quite like grasshoppers. Used to have a place that served them in tacos it was fantastic. Termites are good to they taste almost like bacon when fried. drubs can be okay if cooked rather well done, never had a good worm however.

Then again I simply have no qualms with food being odd.Going beyond insects Horse taste like shit and is tough as fuck, dog also taste hideous I would much rather have rat than horse or dog both of which are also useful so mass posses is just a waste to me.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
If i could not eat an insect without puking i totally would.

As it stands, i'm fussy enough with foods in general, let alone eating insects. As much as i recognize that the entire world adopting insect eating would probably be a positive thing :\