We should eat insects

thespyisdead

Jan 25, 2010
i think our culture needs to get over our prejudices in order for this to succeed. besides which, bug farming would leave a smaller ecological footprint, than animal faarming, and bugs would cost less than meat, but again, the prejudices must go

Keoul

Apr 4, 2010
As long as they taste nice...
I mean really they're just small land lobsters right?

Don Savik

Aug 27, 2011
Buretsu said:
thespyisdead said:
i think our culture needs to get over our prejudices in order for this to succeed. besides which, bug farming would leave a smaller ecological footprint, than animal faarming, and bugs would cost less than meat, but again, the prejudices must go
But it's one thing to convince people that eating bugs isn't disgusting, it's quite another to try and get people to stop eating juicy steaks just because they can get the same amount of protein from, say.... eating a dozen maggots.
I agree. Its not a negative prejudice by any means. What gain does mass breeding insects over mass breeding other farmland animals accomplish? Besides creeping everyone the fuck out, because, lets be honest, bug lovers are in the minority.

A field of cows is more pleasing to everyone then an infestation of maggots if you ask me. Also, its easier to raise them and monitor their health as said before. Also, cows other body parts are used for other products as well. What the hell could we make using an ant? Cows are more product-efficient.

Besides, what sounds more appealing to your brain? A crunchy squirming exoskeleton filled with vile slime, or a char-broiled slab of tender meat? On a very basic level of human instincts, I think everyone would choose the later.

Pegghead

Aug 4, 2009
This brings to mind what my dad was telling me a while ago about how back in his day you used to be able to buy cans of chocolate ants (real ants, covered in chocolate...yeah).

Look, you can go out and eat all the insects you want and I won't stop you, but the thought of chowing down on a couple o' juicy centipedes or some crunchy cockroaches doesn't appeal to me. Even if there were safe, bred-in-un-contaminated-environments insects for sale I still wouldn't do it. And although you say that "80% of the world eats insects", that's mostly because over in those parts of the world (such as regional Asia) it's a free, plentiful source of basic food for communities living off whatever they can grow or get their hands on, and not out of some enlightened desire to chow down on what chows down on garbage.

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
In all logical, technical and ecological senses, we should definitely eat insects. Those bastards should be cut down and farmed in massive numbers. Will help prevent swarms, cut disease rates as we're making sure they aren't disease ridden before human consumption, and they're in plentiful supply! We need to really start. But... Ew. Not sure I'd be able to have a cricket main course.

game-lover

Dec 1, 2010
It's always annoyed me how people bring up the whole shrimp and lobsters are basically sea bugs. Maybe it's true... still irks me some.

Anyway... there are plenty of other things to eat besides insects if we're worried about domestication.

No more cows? I'm eating moose. Yeah, that's right. Or bison. Or shark. Or beaver. Or a damn alligator.

By the way, in my earlier reply? All that translates basically into: bull balls, bird spit, fish sperm and duck embryos.

That's what I'd eat before I touch a bug as food.

Chemical Alia

Feb 1, 2011
I don't think I could eat insects, it's a texture thing. I can't even stand tomatoes for that reason v:

I found a cockroach leg in my mouth while drinking some milk tea once, wasn't a pleasant experience.

kickyourass

Apr 17, 2010
As long as they were dead and cooked I'd gladly try fried crickets or a roasted scorpion or something like that. They're almost pure protein with effectivly no fat, so insects would be a perfectly healthy food source.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Ah shrimps are delicious but a bit bothersome to eat if you have to peel the shell off.
Lobsters and crabs are insects too. Kind of arachnids even yet they are regarded as delicacies!

The main issue I have with eating insects is all that chitin you can't really get rid of.
A bit too crunchy. Also eating heads with eyes and a brain in them and inner organs... ugh.
You can't really remove that from tiny insects.
Then again, it's probably like eating mussels which also have everything left in them and I love me some blue mussels in garlic sauce.

The large insect that has actual meat on it that doesn't live in the sea -tarantula- creeps me the fuck out so I could probably not even look at that in front of me, let alone try and eat it.
But I guess it is purely a head thing you can get over if you try.